Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 10979

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13121583 times)

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #1905 on: October 03, 2011, 06:12:26 pm »

The Milgram experiment has come under heavy criticism? I've only found one site claiming that the Milgram experiment was flawed, and their argument was filled with holes and inductive reasoning.
I didn't read that link, but the problem with the Milgram experiment was that one normally has to state a theory and then conduct experiments to see if the theory is right. However, what Milgram did was conduct the experiment and then look for noticeable cumulations. Unfortunately, you even see "noticeable cumulations" in a sequence of dice throws. So, the Milgram experiment is essentially flawed.
However, one can't deny that the results of the experiment are significant.

By the way, Bdthemag, your sentiment is completely correct. Only a very small percentage of the subjects wished that they hadn't participated in the experiment. Most of them were grateful.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: October 03, 2011, 06:48:01 pm »

My three year old daughter announced today that corndogs are like hotdogs, but with a stick up their butts. O_o

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: October 03, 2011, 06:51:01 pm »

tubgirl. OH GOD WHAT IN THE FUCK I CAN'T SEE

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: October 03, 2011, 06:57:33 pm »

It's hard for me to look at the behaviors of any law enforcement or military institution and believe for a second that the Stanford Prison or Milgram experiments were flawed.  I think they only demonstrated what society should have noticed and addressed a very long time ago, yet even after the true nature of obedience and authority prejudice have been laid completely bare, most people continue to ignore it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: October 03, 2011, 07:12:21 pm »

The flaws were in methodology. The Milgram experiment not only lacked a clearly testible hypothesis, many of the participants later stated that they didn't really buy into the notion that the shocks were real. The Stanford Prison Experiment had the results of the experiment built into it, as the given instructions specified the initial relationship. I can personally guarantee (because I have family on both sides of the corrections system (in different prisons)) that the results are not Truth in Televison to the extent people seem to believe.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: October 03, 2011, 07:25:38 pm »

The flaws were in methodology. The Milgram experiment not only lacked a clearly testible hypothesis, many of the participants later stated that they didn't really buy into the notion that the shocks were real. The Stanford Prison Experiment had the results of the experiment built into it, as the given instructions specified the initial relationship. I can personally guarantee (because I have family on both sides of the corrections system (in different prisons)) that the results are not Truth in Televison to the extent people seem to believe.
Do you really believe that the Stanford Prison Experiment was meant to simulate a real prison? Because then you'll be disappointed. The entire organization and the system of the experiment was completely unlike a prison and deliberately so.
And I don't know where you read about the participants not believing that the shocks were real, but I read the exact opposite. The participants generally exhibited signs of extreme stress, so I'm pretty sure the statement "I knew all along that the shocks weren't real!" is just people being people and trying to justify their actions. It makes sense that they don't want to admit that they would torture a person if ordered.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 07:32:47 pm by MC Dirty »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 09:00:22 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: October 03, 2011, 09:04:18 pm »

Main dishes at my uni's dining hall tonight: footlong chili dogs and deep fried oreos over popcorn.

Oh, Kentucky...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: October 03, 2011, 10:22:39 pm »

My school administration thinks that swag is a bad word.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: October 03, 2011, 10:23:52 pm »

While I have no idea why that word of all words was picked to be the new cool thing, Its not a bad word as far as I've seen.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: October 03, 2011, 10:25:53 pm »

Good god that is awesome. I mean how insane do people get?
ONOES! He used a word in a context we don't understand! It must be contraban for now and forever in every context!
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 10979