Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12999318 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #3315 on: December 07, 2011, 03:05:30 am »

The Golden Compass, google search resulted in http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

Claim:   The 2007 film The Golden Compass is based on a series of books with anti-religious themes.

A Los Angeles Times article on the Golden Compass controversy noted that:
[Pullman]'s never hidden his skepticism about God or his rejection of organized religion. A quick Internet search turns up a 2004 essay he wrote deploring "theocracies" for a newspaper in his native Britain, and his own Web site states that he thinks it "perfectly possible to explain how the universe came about without bringing God into it." "His Dark Materials" features a sympathetic character, an ex-nun, who describes Christianity as "a very powerful and convincing mistake," while "The Amber Spyglass" concludes with the two child heroes participating in the dissolution of "the Authority," a senile, pretender God who has falsely passed himself off as the creator of the universe.
Since I highly doubt that the term Christianity was ever used in those books, I call shenanigans. The series seems to be anti-religious in general, not anti-Christian.
"Magisterium" is obviously parody/satire of Catholic Church ( see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magisterium especially as it is quite similar to inquisition). But this book is rather "religion is bad" than "CC is bad".
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 03:07:25 am by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: December 07, 2011, 03:07:55 am »

The Golden Compass, google search resulted in http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

Claim:   The 2007 film The Golden Compass is based on a series of books with anti-religious themes.

[Pullman]'s never hidden his skepticism about God or his rejection of organized religion. A quick Internet search turns up a 2004 essay he wrote deploring "theocracies" for a newspaper in his native Britain, and his own Web site states that he thinks it "perfectly possible to explain how the universe came about without bringing God into it." "His Dark Materials" features a sympathetic character, an ex-nun, who describes Christianity as "a very powerful and convincing mistake," while "The Amber Spyglass" concludes with the two child heroes participating in the dissolution of "the Authority," a senile, pretender God who has falsely passed himself off as the creator of the universe.
Since I highly doubt that the term Christianity was ever used in those books, I call shenanigans. The series seems to be anti-religious in general, not anti-Christian.
"Magisterium" is obviously parody/satire of Catholic Church ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magisteriumes especially as it is inquisition+Inquisition+black legend of Inquisition+Inquisition)
As is the Church of God Awaiting from David Weber's Safehold series. It is a stated goal of the main character to utterly destroy this church, so I'm kinda surprised that the fundamentalists aren't complaining about this.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: December 07, 2011, 03:12:41 am »

"Magisterium" is obviously parody/satire of Catholic Church ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magisteriumes especially as it is inquisition+Inquisition+black legend of Inquisition+Inquisition)
As is the Church of God Awaiting from David Weber's Safehold series. It is a stated goal of the main character to utterly destroy this church, so I'm kinda surprised that the fundamentalists aren't complaining about this.
Probably because the Golden Compass was film for kids.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: December 07, 2011, 03:18:36 am »

(cutting down the quote tree)

True. Still, you'd think that at least one person would be trying to get it banned. One of the books opens with a scene of priests being hanged (not by the church, mind you) for inciting a massacre. Other scenes have somewhat graphic details of Inquisitorial "interrogations". On the other hand, many of the protagonists are highly religious and a few are even clergy.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: December 07, 2011, 03:11:27 pm »

The whole Bureau's network just turned into molasses. Anybody know if Anonymous/LulzSec/whoever is up to something?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3320 on: December 07, 2011, 03:13:03 pm »

The whole Bureau's network just turned into molasses. Anybody know if Anonymous/LulzSec/whoever is up to something?

LulzSec have pretty much gone on Hiatus after disbanding, rebanding, then disbanding again. Anonymous? Def. not. Maybe it's skynet? :O

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: December 07, 2011, 04:15:06 pm »

I remember seeing a satellite tracker thing for physics last year  and one of the military satellites was called Skynet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3322 on: December 07, 2011, 04:20:29 pm »

I remember seeing a satellite tracker thing for physics last year  and one of the military satellites was called Skynet.

What could go wrong? :P

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: December 07, 2011, 06:57:14 pm »

Almost as fun:  there is a company that plainly named itself Satellite Tracking of People.  I've processed a few shipments of theirs through customs.  I totally flipped out the first time I saw it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3324 on: December 07, 2011, 07:06:56 pm »

Almost as fun:  there is a company that plainly named itself Satellite Tracking of People.  I've processed a few shipments of theirs through customs.  I totally flipped out the first time I saw it.

Not that different from what apple does lol :P

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: December 07, 2011, 07:10:01 pm »

I was just astounded that they would actually name themselves that.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3326 on: December 07, 2011, 07:14:33 pm »

I was just astounded that they would actually name themselves that.

They could've called themselves ACME :P

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: December 07, 2011, 07:15:45 pm »

I love the acronym. Acronyms are so much fun sometimes.

What made me go WTF was if they did that on purpose or not.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Tlc2011

• Bay Watcher
  • ..No idea what to put here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: December 07, 2011, 07:34:37 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Who would name their company that?

WHO?

MORE IMPORTANTLY, WHY?

Tactical Facepalm Disarmed due to largeness of post

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3329 on: December 07, 2011, 07:46:38 pm »

That is ok, a company I used to work for was intentionally acronym-ed: BAD.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 10974