Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13174673 times)

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #6300 on: March 09, 2012, 05:00:59 pm »

Try Dickens. Dear god, the man waffled. As my English teacher put it, "Why use 5 words when 15 will do?"

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6301 on: March 09, 2012, 05:02:43 pm »

Currently reading Kafka. It's not pleasurable, yet I can't seem to put the book down. It's about stuff you don't want to read, in very fine print on very thin pages in a really big book.   :-\

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6302 on: March 09, 2012, 05:04:06 pm »

I read a novel once that had no quotation marks, at all. Not much punctuation in general, and considering the novel was a crime thriller with a bunch of different characters talking to each other it could get a little confusing.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6303 on: March 09, 2012, 05:18:52 pm »

Lenny never would have survived in prison, George was just protecting him.
It really didn't seem like he would have gotten to prison in the first place, but no, he wouldn't have.

Like I said, this novel is sad.

And short. I'm sorry, I just can't help it. I like novels to be at least a good 300 pages long.

The Catcher in the Rye: 224 pages
Slaughterhouse-Five: 215 pages
Animal Farm: 140 pages
The Old Man and the Sea: 128 pages

I think writers just used to be better at being concise. If you need 7 books and 2000 pages to tell your story, it's probably not because it's an epic story on par with War and Peace or The Lord of the Rings, but rather because you suck as a writer.

Not really. In fact, not at all. Indeed, a large part of why those works are considered classics is that their shorter length allows them to be dissected and discussed at length in a classroom setting, which is more difficult with a non-Dickens longer work. (Dickens is easy to dissect, as he goes whole chapters without saying a goddamn thing.

For example, Of Mice And Men is, by far, Steinbeck's shortest work. It is also the only one I have ever seen in "school" format. Slaughterhouse Five is on the short side for Vonnegut, and 1984 is almost twice as large a book as Animal Farm. Besides which, books printed in that era tended to be printed in very small font, with the Large Print editions in what we would consider today to be a normal size for that format.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6304 on: March 09, 2012, 05:59:21 pm »

Just found out why the MLP thread was locked.  By searching it and reading the last few pages before the Toad cracked down on it.

I'm a bit late to the party, and I'd rather not mention why it was locked (though I'm sure nearly everyone knows why 0_0) but WTF?
Perhaps I just havn't been to some of the darker corners of the internet.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6305 on: March 09, 2012, 06:07:48 pm »

Pff that stuff was child's play.

Well not literally.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6306 on: March 09, 2012, 06:09:26 pm »

I didn't know that no more MLP threads were allowed, and I was just recently getting into the show, so I thought what the hay I might as well go to the MLP thread and post some stuff there.  Then when I got there, it was the equivilant of watching cotton candy being flavored with blood.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6307 on: March 09, 2012, 06:17:07 pm »

And now you understand the concept of grimdark.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6308 on: March 09, 2012, 06:17:22 pm »

Yeah the fanbase is diverse with diverse... creative output.

Link in siggy has lots of bay12 members and is 100% free from any nastiness, though, if ya wanna chat about ponies.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6309 on: March 09, 2012, 06:25:48 pm »

Minor!wtf: Damnit, brain, why you do this:

It'd go well with a heavy beat, really.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6310 on: March 09, 2012, 07:19:46 pm »

Link in siggy has lots of bay12 members and is 100% free from any nastiness, though, if ya wanna chat about ponies.

But yeah, if someone tells you to read "Cupcakes", don't. If someone tells you to read "Sweet Apple Massacre", really don't. Seriously, no.

But if someone tells you to read "Rainbow Factory", go ahead, as it is fairly decent for what it is.

Honestly, though, the locking and ban of all future threads was probably for the best.

Minor!wtf: Damnit, brain, why you do this:

It'd go well with a heavy beat, really.

Thank you, that make me crack up.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #6311 on: March 09, 2012, 07:24:40 pm »

Yup, MLP threads would spiral out of control and descend into chaos after awhile. So after like 3-4 threads being closed Toady just eventually banned all future MLP threads.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6312 on: March 09, 2012, 08:24:42 pm »

Kaijyuu I had made some art for your game, but all attempts to contact you have failed, I even went on your IRC a few times, and have sent you several PM's on the forum, so I ended up deleting it all.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6313 on: March 09, 2012, 08:58:49 pm »

Yup, MLP threads would spiral out of control and descend into chaos after awhile. So after like 3-4 threads being closed Toady just eventually banned all future MLP threads.
Oh, like every other thread on this forum doesn't contain at least one pony reference  ::)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6314 on: March 09, 2012, 09:01:39 pm »

Kaijyuu I had made some art for your game, but all attempts to contact you have failed, I even went on your IRC a few times, and have sent you several PM's on the forum, so I ended up deleting it all.
Ah I don't really check my PMs often, and I DO remember being told about the IRC thing but forgot about it. Apologies.

And you made some art but deleted it....? Okay.
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 10983