Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2826 2827 [2828] 2829 2830 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13239106 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #42405 on: January 08, 2014, 03:50:45 pm »

And cakes shaped like sexually explicit body parts.
People have weird requests for cakes, sometimes.

My WTF for the day is that steam claims my peak download speed for this download was 3.4 billion GB/s. No, really. Billion. Gigabytes.
This download has been going for well over three days now, and it's only downloaded 1gb out of 2 successfully. And I cant turn off my computer until it's done because steam will throw that data in the trash.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #42406 on: January 08, 2014, 03:53:10 pm »

Do you have some sort of weird option in Steam enabled, or does its usual download persistence functionality just not function for you? Normally it will resume the download where you left off if you close the client or restart your computer.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #42407 on: January 08, 2014, 04:02:39 pm »

Yeah, but I cannot imagine that affects how Steam stores data locally. If it did, it'd be the height of dickery on Valve's part, since the people with shitty internet are presumably the very people who need that functionality most.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #42408 on: January 08, 2014, 04:03:27 pm »

He's probably got a crappy internet. A lot of B12ers have that.
*raises hand*
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #42409 on: January 08, 2014, 04:09:21 pm »

Do you have some sort of weird option in Steam enabled, or does its usual download persistence functionality just not function for you? Normally it will resume the download where you left off if you close the client or restart your computer.

I have no idea what its' deal is. It's still holding onto a partial download of portal 2, but the last time I stopped the dowload and shut down my computer it dumped the data I'm trying to download now.

And yes, my internet connection is as slow or slower than dial-up, because our internet provider is an asshole like that when you go over your allotted data usage. And there are no better options for internet providers out here.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #42410 on: January 08, 2014, 07:33:14 pm »

The first company to offer 100mbit unlimited-use satellite internet is going to rule the world. Imagine a connection working like a human expects it to - forever.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42411 on: January 08, 2014, 07:55:12 pm »

The first company to offer 100mbit unlimited-use satellite internet is going to rule the world. Imagine a connection working like a human expects it to - forever.

It'd have to be pretty damn cheap for me to take that speed hit.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42412 on: January 08, 2014, 09:48:06 pm »

Except when its cloudy. Or a plane flies overhead. Or a spider builds a web on the receiving dish...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42413 on: January 08, 2014, 09:54:16 pm »

The broadcasting satellite will be equipped with orbit to ground death lasers to clear obstructions with, of course. Kinda' like the GDI, only commercial.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42414 on: January 08, 2014, 10:33:53 pm »

So I had periodically heard about cluster headaches, and how they're supposedly "the most painful condition in medical science", but I never looked into it. Now, I had periodically had extremely severe headaches throughout my life. My parents had always told me that it was a result of pressure changes preceding and during thunderstorms, and I believed this because I had no reason to disbelieve it. These headaches were always focused behind one of my eyes, and made me extremely adverse to light. They were utterly agonizing, enough to effectively cripple me when they happened, and did not meaningfully respond to OTC painkillers. My eye feels kind of sore just remembering all of this.

Fastforward back to the present, and I'm reading the cluster headache article on Wikipedia. It sounds very familiar. The only major discrepancy is that there is no clear pattern of recurrence, nor do I specifically remember them happening in "clusters", as the name suggests. Rather, they would happen singularly every few weeks to months. I don't remember when the last one was, but it's been at least two years. Conversely, I can find nothing like what my parents described as the cause of the headaches.

So, I may or may not have the most painful medical condition known to science. If so, the upper limit of pain is actually kind of weaksauce. Horrible as it was, I just figured it would be more than that. While it made me want to curl up under my bed and die, I could force myself to do things if I had to.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 10:36:26 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42415 on: January 08, 2014, 10:45:48 pm »

Air pressure changes HAVE given me a headache in the past. When traveling back to Utah in November, I had to get on 3 different planes. On the third one I started getting a massive headache and nausea. Almost made me pass out.

I don't normally get airsick or carsick at all, so the pressure changes was all we could think of that could bring on something like that.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42416 on: January 08, 2014, 10:47:54 pm »

Get yourself a kidney stone, and then you'll have something to compare to. If you haven't already, anyway.

I've started getting sinus headaches recently (sinus headache medicine clears it up, anyway), which are supposed to be, well, roughly the same thing in terms of pain as clusters, maybe slightly less. And they're bad, don't mistake that -- "I'd really like to claw out my eye, now" bad -- but the kidney stone was roughly an order of magnitude worse. S'just... words to not describe. Surgery and recuperation (unrelated to the stone) was barely a blip, despite having a baseball sized chunk of me cut out and left open for several months. Stone had me expelling everything from every orifice because of pain and basically incapable of personal mobility or coherence. It was pretty incredible. Sinus headache is second greatest pain, but it's a fairly distant second.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 10:57:58 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42417 on: January 08, 2014, 10:51:03 pm »

I don't think anything really painful has ever happened to me. At least, not that I can think of at the moment.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #42418 on: January 08, 2014, 10:52:12 pm »

My most painful experience is spilling boiling water on my hand and have the skin peel off leaving pink tender flesh for days.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42419 on: January 08, 2014, 10:56:44 pm »

Really i don't have anything on par with these. I've always been excessively careful about anything that can hurt me. Although there was one time i went stupid and grabbed a cookie sheet that i was taking out of the oven with my hand. I also went temporarily stupid and cut my finger with a knife once. 

EDIT: Actually maybe the stupidity wasn't as temporary as i thought.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 10:58:19 pm by Steelmagic »
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."
Pages: 1 ... 2826 2827 [2828] 2829 2830 ... 10984