Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2936 2937 [2938] 2939 2940 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13182932 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #44055 on: February 12, 2014, 10:49:39 pm »

Oh, hey, you might pass me on the road, then. I'm heading Champaign-ward this weekend. I'll make an effort not to jackknife across the divider in a misguided attempt to hug you with my car.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44056 on: February 12, 2014, 11:00:10 pm »

Repeat after me: "Let me hug you with this speeding vehicle" is not a good excuse for vehicular manslaughter.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44057 on: February 12, 2014, 11:21:03 pm »

So I'm looking for articles to do my big paper on (I have to have the subject by next week), and I decide to type "politics" into the library psychology search engine. I find a mish-mash of sociological papers on politics, then right in the middle of the first page I find an article titled *takes deep breath*: Drawing disability in Japanese manga: Visual politics, embodied masculinity, and wheelchair basketball in Inoue Takehiko’s REAL.

That... that was not an article I was expecting to find.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44058 on: February 12, 2014, 11:32:57 pm »

You have a manga drawing guide in a psychology database?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44059 on: February 12, 2014, 11:35:44 pm »

... Read the title again. Unless you're not familiar with the level of intentionally wordy bullshit in the titles of academic papers, that is, in which case: someone thought they were being cute with a little punny alliteration in their title.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44060 on: February 12, 2014, 11:36:25 pm »

Its a guide about the disability in said manga of a drawn character. Or miscategorized.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44061 on: February 12, 2014, 11:37:55 pm »

If I had to guess based solely on the title, it's something relating to how the author of the manga portrays the mental processes of handicapped men, particularly in relation to their masculinity and how disability affects their perceptions of their worth as men.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #44062 on: February 12, 2014, 11:42:27 pm »

I thought I stopped getting creepy emails. No, instead they're going into my spam filter.

I have several that are from various emails like 53694@penguinofhonor.net except the number is different every time. The title is " on all of them. Just one quotation mark.

The text in each is hundreds of lines each containing two words. The last word of each line is the same as the first word of the next.
Spoiler: small sample (click to show/hide)

The end of the email has a link directing me to some pages for if I want to unsubscribe from their emails. I entered my email in this site, so I'm assuming either they'll stop, I'll get way more spam email, or I've completed the final step in some terrible ritual and my soul has been claimed by an eldritch god.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 11:46:29 pm by penguinofhonor »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44063 on: February 12, 2014, 11:48:02 pm »

If I had to guess based solely on the title, it's something relating to how the author of the manga portrays the mental processes of handicapped men, particularly in relation to their masculinity and how disability affects their perceptions of their worth as men.
It's an analysis of the manga "REAL" which is a manga about wheelchair basketball players. It... actually looks really interesting, I might have to pick it up.

If that article actually qualified, I would totally do my paper on that, but unfortunately it doesn't.

I thought I stopped getting creepy emails. No, instead they're going into my spam filter.

I have several that are from various emails that are from emails like 53694@penguinofhonor.net except the number is different every time. The title is " on all of them. Just one quotation mark.

The text in each is hundreds of lines each containing two words. The last word of each line is the same as the first word of the next.

The end of the email has a link directing me to some pages for if I want to unsubscribe from their emails. I entered my email in this site, so I'm assuming either they'll stop, I'll get way more spam email, or I've completed the final step in some terrible ritual and my soul has been claimed by an eldritch god.
Just so you know, there is every chance it's some kind of unusual email harvesting operation. They may actually be trying to get you to unsubscribe so they can say there exists someone on the other end that reads and responds to the content of emails.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #44064 on: February 13, 2014, 08:49:55 am »

It's an analysis of the manga "REAL" which is a manga about wheelchair basketball players. It... actually looks really interesting, I might have to pick it up.

If that article actually qualified, I would totally do my paper on that, but unfortunately it doesn't.

I have several that are from various emails that are from emails like 53694@penguinofhonor.net except the number is different every time. The title is " on all of them. Just one quotation mark.

Just so you know, there is every chance it's some kind of unusual email harvesting operation. They may actually be trying to get you to unsubscribe so they can say there exists someone on the other end that reads and responds to the content of emails.
It's probably nothing, just another one of those random people trying to wake up Xantalos. Hell, we've got a Lovecraftian monster-awakeners' support group. People aren't kidding when they say college has a group for everyone.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #44065 on: February 13, 2014, 09:01:10 am »

Planetside 2 is so confusing o.o

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #44066 on: February 13, 2014, 11:05:58 am »

Yay, another convert! :D

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44067 on: February 13, 2014, 11:16:43 am »

Not really, just use this guide:

Spoiler: Guide (click to show/hide)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #44068 on: February 13, 2014, 12:44:14 pm »

No basically just log in and do the VR training to test out all the guns and see what you like. Then go out and join a squad and go where they are, stick with someone who seems to know where they're going, and shoot whoever is not your team.

They could have called it Gun Mans like every other shooter. Maybe Gun Mans: On Planet.

It's got cool things, but it's not that complicated.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #44069 on: February 13, 2014, 01:19:16 pm »

Yeah, joining a squad with people that know what they're doing is a good idea. Try to find a squad with a leader on voice chat or a squad belonging to an outfit. Use (voice)chat yourself to communicate with the leader, too, they'll probably apreciate it.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 2936 2937 [2938] 2939 2940 ... 10983