Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2953 2954 [2955] 2956 2957 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13185839 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #44310 on: February 18, 2014, 10:13:06 am »

Pretty much. There was a minimum defined somewhere, though I don't remember where. Separation three generations back (i.e. your great-grandparents other child's family line) is probably safe enough.
For the most part, just first cousins are distant enough. Many generations of only first cousins might cause problems, but that's not really anything to worry about.

Heck, brother/sister isn't all that likely to bring any recessive diseases to the surface (two generations of it can be risky though).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44311 on: February 18, 2014, 10:15:46 am »

from where, exactly, do people gain such knowledge

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44312 on: February 18, 2014, 10:16:39 am »

Anecdotes from hushed conversations, mostly :P
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #44313 on: February 18, 2014, 10:22:23 am »

Yeah, I died. The speech and stuff is a bit out-of-order, but I'm fairly happy with the battle.

I'm probably going to rule the world as a pet rock now. HUZZAH!
OOT bit, but that was quite fantastic read. Thank you.

(And I'd rather worship Epithus, that Kai seems like a flashy, arrogant fool. :P)

Thanks! Yeah, I agree with your opinion on Epithus and Kai. Anyway, because I'm a long-runner and have had much bad luck over the course of the game anyway, the GM (Praise be to the Liver!) has allowed me to create my new character this turn. Mote-Maiyeisha, the friendly neighbourhood Goddess of Undeath, has been born!

Did anyone read through the whole thing? I got a lot of fails (being clawed in the face by an Eldritch Abomination, accidentally destroying my city, annoying Queen Dido a lot...) in Epithus's life.
I read the entire thing, and really, the GM seems a bit partial. I mean, the Kai kind-off broke the rules with his first turn, and by the second has an entire city under control, where others only have like 30 followers.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #44314 on: February 18, 2014, 10:44:58 am »

Yeah, I died. The speech and stuff is a bit out-of-order, but I'm fairly happy with the battle.

I'm probably going to rule the world as a pet rock now. HUZZAH!
OOT bit, but that was quite fantastic read. Thank you.

(And I'd rather worship Epithus, that Kai seems like a flashy, arrogant fool. :P)

Thanks! Yeah, I agree with your opinion on Epithus and Kai. Anyway, because I'm a long-runner and have had much bad luck over the course of the game anyway, the GM (Praise be to the Liver!) has allowed me to create my new character this turn. Mote-Maiyeisha, the friendly neighbourhood Goddess of Undeath, has been born!

Did anyone read through the whole thing? I got a lot of fails (being clawed in the face by an Eldritch Abomination, accidentally destroying my city, annoying Queen Dido a lot...) in Epithus's life.
I read the entire thing, and really, the GM seems a bit partial. I mean, the Kai kind-off broke the rules with his first turn, and by the second has an entire city under control, where others only have like 30 followers.
What happened with the Kai is that he managed to convince an entire city he could save them, and they were literally screaming for salvation from Sparta. Worship like that is potent stuff.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44315 on: February 18, 2014, 10:47:46 am »

Mmmm, yeah, I do like saving people.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #44316 on: February 18, 2014, 10:59:46 am »

I think I've got myself quite a nice start here. It's mass human sacrifice, but they'll be happy, undead sacrifices afterwards!

Anyway, we should probably stop distracting the WTFs with sensible talk about Apotheosis. :P

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44317 on: February 18, 2014, 11:07:51 am »

Pnx: that's kinda hilarious...but probably also a pain in the ass for all involved, sorry for laughing.
I laughed too, don't worry. It was alright though, ten minutes later his friend (I think it might have been his brother or something, I know they're a family business) came along, plowed some snow out from in front of him, and pulled him out.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44318 on: February 18, 2014, 11:22:20 am »

Pretty much. There was a minimum defined somewhere, though I don't remember where. Separation three generations back (i.e. your great-grandparents other child's family line) is probably safe enough.
For the most part, just first cousins are distant enough. Many generations of only first cousins might cause problems, but that's not really anything to worry about.

Heck, brother/sister isn't all that likely to bring any recessive diseases to the surface (two generations of it can be risky though).
This was my general impression as well (and hence why I'm not automatically squicked-out by those sorts of relationships--the taboo arose because of genetic reasons, after all, even if people didn't understand why, so as long as it doesn't run into any ethical issues, who cares?), which is why the problems tend to crop up in places where there's intentional inbreeding across many generations.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44319 on: February 18, 2014, 11:25:36 am »

Within the next few hundred years we'll have good enough genetic manipulation to eliminate genetic diseases anyway, and then there will be nothing to worry about at all.

Except of course, people's stupid prejudice.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44320 on: February 18, 2014, 11:27:55 am »

Within the next few hundred years we'll have good enough genetic manipulation to eliminate genetic diseases anyway, and then there will be nothing to worry about at all.

Except of course, people's stupid prejudice.
Don't worry once Mind Control is good enough we can get rid of those stupid prejudice.

Except of course, people's stupid notion of freedom and choice.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44321 on: February 18, 2014, 11:30:22 am »

Don't worry, the robot AI that takes over the world will turn humanity into its pet and shower us with wuvs long before either happens.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44322 on: February 18, 2014, 11:38:29 am »

And all things will be wonderful except the fact that we would all be named George.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44323 on: February 18, 2014, 11:43:43 am »

When I become an AI overlord I'll be sure to ask your opinion before I call you all George anyway.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44324 on: February 18, 2014, 11:44:31 am »

The other half should be Bob. For variety.
Pages: 1 ... 2953 2954 [2955] 2956 2957 ... 10983