Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3047 3048 [3049] 3050 3051 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13004423 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #45720 on: March 14, 2014, 10:40:10 pm »

Did you know what parrots do when they crap?

My father has a blue-crowned conure named Icarus*. I'm walking by today, and I noticed he had some kind of wacky tail feather that never came out of the feather casing.

That is just weird looking. It resembles a pen's ink tube.

*Humorously enough, this bird used to be able to fly. He wasn't allowed to for years and doesn't remember how now, not much unlike this.

The actual link is here. Rickrolling is fun. Apologies if you were offended by that somehow.

You're cruel and evil.  ::)
._.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #45721 on: March 14, 2014, 11:26:15 pm »

... Is there such thing as a motherboard intended for servers? Isn't the hardware for desktops and servers identical? :/

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45722 on: March 14, 2014, 11:33:09 pm »

... Is there such thing as a motherboard intended for servers? Isn't the hardware for desktops and servers identical? :/
Yes, and no. Hardware for servers is intended for much greater uptime, and much higher loads. After all, you'll never see a regular-old desktop with four 8-core Opterons in it. There are servers that can run huge quantities of RAM, that mobo has 16 slots in it, and can handle 256GB RAM. I've personally seen 128GB RAM on one board.

Server hardware and software is an entirely different animal from desktops. Look up Windows Server 2008/2012, or Redhat Linux.

My WTF for the day: An old work friend/acquaintance offered me a potential job today, completely out of nowhere. He needs an assistant manager at his video game store. That'd be a pretty serious bump in pay from where I am now, and it's full time. It'd be a bit of a commute, but totally manageable. Fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 11:34:52 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45723 on: March 14, 2014, 11:42:03 pm »

Good luck, MZ!

My WTF: We found a footlong lizard in the house, and it simply refused to leave.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #45724 on: March 15, 2014, 12:15:26 am »

Yes, and no. Hardware for servers is intended for much greater uptime, and much higher loads. After all, you'll never see a regular-old desktop with four 8-core Opterons in it. There are servers that can run huge quantities of RAM, that mobo has 16 slots in it, and can handle 256GB RAM. I've personally seen 128GB RAM on one board.
Yes, but can it run Crysis at max settings?

...Now I'm curious, could hardware intended for a server be used in a computer desktop obscenely overpowered 1337 gaming rig? I assume with the proper power supply and everything it could, it'd just be expensive, unorthodox, and overkill. I'm probably terribly wrong and attempting such a thing would result in explosions and/or Skynet.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #45725 on: March 15, 2014, 12:45:09 am »

I believe we have discussed this before and it was indeed considered plausible.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45726 on: March 15, 2014, 12:48:47 am »

I believe we have discussed this before and it was indeed considered plausible.
Indeedy. I want to build an aquarium gaming computer with server parts. 4 video cards, 128GB RAM, and 4 12+ core processors, here I come! (And then I woke up.)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45727 on: March 15, 2014, 01:42:58 am »

...Would the aquarium part actually work, though? Or would you just end up boiling all your poor fishies whenever you decided to play Crysis?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45728 on: March 15, 2014, 02:26:37 am »

I somehow started to listen to this strange old german singer named Heino on youtube. I have just listed to a hour of him and I can't stop. Someone send help.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #45729 on: March 15, 2014, 03:17:10 am »

...Would the aquarium part actually work, though? Or would you just end up boiling all your poor fishies whenever you decided to play Crysis?

It's called aquarium because it's built inside a plastic/glass aquarium tank, not because it's filled with water. If it was filled with water, the components would... perform suboptimally.

Generally, mineral oil is what's used.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45730 on: March 15, 2014, 03:20:37 am »

Damn... that would have been awesome.
We'll have to teach fish to breathe whatever kind of oil is required, then.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45731 on: March 15, 2014, 04:32:58 am »

I somehow started to listen to this strange old german singer named Heino on youtube. I have just listed to a hour of him and I can't stop. Someone send help.
He covered a lot of German rock songs on some recent album. Go listen to the originals. Then to him. Then to the originals. Your computer is now diamonds!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #45732 on: March 15, 2014, 09:04:46 am »

Something I had forgotten about, and just remembered... had to sit outside and wait for someone for a bit, on campus, partially during one of the major class switch time periods, so I people watched for a little bit. Little bit ago, either earlier this week or late last.

And, just have to say. It's one thing to know, intellectually, that there are major posture difference trends between genders in one's culture, and it's another thing to actually see it. Probably better than 75% correlation (more than three out of four, but not 100%), ladies had their hands in front, lads had their hands to the side, observation group of somewhere between one and two hundred, slight ratio bias toward female. It was... an interesting period of observation. I'll have to do it again when it gets up in the 80-90F range and see if there's an environmental variable... possible, considering this is Florida, and people around here think below 80F or so is cold.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #45733 on: March 15, 2014, 10:08:26 am »

Good luck, MZ!

My WTF: We found a footlong lizard in the house, and it simply refused to leave.
That's because it's the lizard's house now, son.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #45734 on: March 15, 2014, 11:11:28 am »

So the other day I was on the bus to class. It's been warming up, and the ice on the river had started cracking up and floating downstream. As we're driving over the river, I see a flash of red, and look closer. There, bobbing merrily along, is a fire extinguisher frozen halfway into a block of ice in the middle of a river.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 3047 3048 [3049] 3050 3051 ... 10974