Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3203 3204 [3205] 3206 3207 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13207093 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #48060 on: April 27, 2014, 06:53:14 am »

I friggin learned to read from vidya. Link to the Past and Super Mario RPG helped most, I'd think.
I have no idea how I learned to read. None of my relatives claim to have taken any particular effort to teach me. It is a complete mystery.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48061 on: April 27, 2014, 07:26:43 am »

I can't say any one game taught me to read, but Minecraft taught me to five-finger type. So many commands.

Well, weirdly five-finger type. I still hold my left hand over the WASD keys (instead of ASDF) when not typing, as I did in the game :P
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #48062 on: April 27, 2014, 07:37:56 am »

I learned to ten-finger-type in elementary school. Because I type so much, I can type very fast now.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48063 on: April 27, 2014, 09:19:51 am »

World of warcraft taught me to type.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #48064 on: April 27, 2014, 09:22:18 am »

I friggin learned to read from vidya. Link to the Past and Super Mario RPG helped most, I'd think.
More or less this, though it started with... SMB3, I think. Had to read those letters, man. That and the sonic comic books. I want to say the early one with Robotnik building a sports stadium was the first thing I read on my own front to back. 'bout a year later I was neck deep in the early star wars EU stuff >_>

World of warcraft taught me to type.
Infantry, for me. I'd had (plenty) of typing class stuff earlier, but that was what really crystallized it. It also taught me most of what I know of general writing. And spelling. Don't ask how, I'm not a hundred percent sure.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48065 on: April 27, 2014, 09:29:26 am »

Runescape is how I learned to spell almost everything I know how to spell nowadays (and gave me the ability to learn how to type almost everything else I can type now). Before that total immersion course I was actually only able spell one word. Because. Which took me a few days of hard work to learn.

Edit: Actual typing though? I still can't do that, I mostly use my pointer fingers for everything still.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 09:32:03 am by Criptfeind »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48066 on: April 27, 2014, 09:35:16 am »

Did none of you go to school at a young age or something?
This is a blank sig.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48067 on: April 27, 2014, 09:40:34 am »

I was taught Russian writing and reading by my mom. English, however, I learned by myself by reading Warhammer 40K rulebooks and codexes and by watching American television.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48068 on: April 27, 2014, 09:50:36 am »

I even took typing lessons in schools. Although perhaps the reason why they didn't really help is because at that time I was unable to spell. So I didn't actually learn anything that would be applicable to real life for a few years. (Or. Indeed. Ever. I've never personally ran into a situation where my typing slightly slower then I could be has been a issue. Except I guess SS13, where it has ended in my death more then once.)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #48069 on: April 27, 2014, 09:56:29 am »

I was taught Ukrainian variant of Cyrillic first by my mom on a photo album, then an actual teacher (lived in Lviv for half a year plus intermittently in the previous year due to my mother's husband doing contract work there), and Russian by a human-battleaxe hybrid that called itself my middle school teacher and plagued two and a half generations.

I learned reading by myself one day. I just picked up a book and started reading, to the surprise of my parents.

My English skills are an unholy mess of things I learned first from my dad, then school, internet, books, music, my dad again, and pretty much everything else in English I've been exposed to.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48070 on: April 27, 2014, 09:57:39 am »

I even took typing lessons in schools. Although perhaps the reason why they didn't really help is because at that time I was unable to spell. So I didn't actually learn anything that would be applicable to real life for a few years. (Or. Indeed. Ever. I've never personally ran into a situation where my typing slightly slower then I could be has been a issue. Except I guess SS13, where it has ended in my death more then once.)
Typing fast has no real use, it's just great for it's own sake :v

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #48071 on: April 27, 2014, 10:03:06 am »

Did none of you go to school at a young age or something?
Pretty much everything school tried to teach I learned sooner and/or better outside of it *shrugs* Or at least outside the regular classroom.

This is mostly because, well. Florida. Some of the teachers tried, but... it's hard to do a good job when you're underpaid, overworked, both over and under regulated, and dealing with a classroom full of 20-30(+) young children, better than half of which have their own particular problems with learning. Half-assed creche system produces half-assed results <what-can-you-do.jpg>

Typing fast has no real use, it's just great for it's own sake :v
Factually untrue. Stenography (court-room note-taking stuff), taking dictation, taking notes on the fly (for meetings, etc.), so on, so forth. There's plenty of stuff that you either need to type fast to do, or typing quickly (and accurately, of course) makes considerably easier and more effective. Plus faster typing means more stuff done, with work that involves anything involving typing. Plenty of uses for typing fast.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48072 on: April 27, 2014, 10:08:11 am »

Hm, I guess.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48073 on: April 27, 2014, 10:37:52 am »

Anyone who says there is no value to typing fast had clearly never written an essay the night before it was due. Or played any multiplayer game without voice chat.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48074 on: April 27, 2014, 10:39:20 am »

Anyone who says there is no value to typing fast had clearly never written an essay the night before it was due. Or played any multiplayer game without voice chat.
This man, he speaks truth.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3203 3204 [3205] 3206 3207 ... 10984