Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3208 3209 [3210] 3211 3212 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13142537 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #48135 on: April 28, 2014, 01:16:41 pm »

Does it count that I was able to do [EDIT:COMPLEX ISH] maths from playing Sim City 2000?

I mean, yeah most games I had were old games my dad had until... 2007 ish when we were able to get settled in our current home...

Still. I had fun playing Sim City 2000.

Blowing up Hawaii with space aliens was always fun.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48136 on: April 28, 2014, 02:49:10 pm »

Teaching students about computers was not a concern back when I was in school. Hell, their existence barely even registered to the faculty. The only computers in the entire place were either in the office or in the library. It was very uncommon to be able to use one. Probably because there were barely enough computers for a single class, and teachers had to schedule library time far in advance.

We got taught cursive writing instead. I don't know how I learned to type.

As for my WTF, there are decorations everywhere in the basement now. One windowsill is so stuffed with crap that I can't see out.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48137 on: April 28, 2014, 02:52:25 pm »

Yeah, computers certainly weren't a thing in my early school years. It would have been about 5th grade when I was at a school that actually had a computer lab and what-not... good thing I acquired my nerdiness in an extracurricular manner.

I have too many beloved childhood games to list right now- I need to try and get back to sleep.
Can I just say Crash Bandicoot. Aw yeah. Oh and the first Oddworld game, goddamnit I still can't beat that thing but it's so good.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48138 on: April 28, 2014, 02:54:11 pm »

I went to a school that had computers. They were just too poor to let us use them on a regular kind of basis. It was once every other week, IIRC.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #48139 on: April 28, 2014, 03:03:46 pm »

We had typing classes, or at least tests, when I was in I think about middle school (I went to a parochial school that combined pre-k to 8th grade all in the same building). I still didn't really learn to touch-type from that, so at some point in high school I had to take a summer typing class at the public school to fulfill some sort of prerequisite, I think.

So aside from having problems typing up school assignments, the first time my poor typing skills affected me in a game was probably Anarchy Online, though in that game you could often auto-run or /follow someone to type while you walked, and you could usually get away with just auto-attacking depending on your class.

The place where I really suffered from my sub-par typing was Dungeons and Dragons Online. The fact that you pretty much always have to keep moving or fighting while in a group, and there being no way to viably move or fight in that game without dying, and DDO's voice chat system being generally shit, and the need to often communicate with your party about things that are killing you or will likely kill them, all combined to make grouping up in that game just one big clusterfuck. And then you add in the ever-present threat of lag to that mix.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48140 on: April 28, 2014, 03:11:24 pm »

Alright, so I imagine this:

I was listening to music video X, and I was previously also listening to music video Y (Ode to Joy).
I want to go back to listen to music video X, but Ode to Joy keeps popping up instead.

To the point where if I search for the video X (since I was using the Previous option instead in my browser) and click on it, THE FREAKING ODE TO JOY POPS UP INSTEAD!
Best part?

The author, views, comments, name, description etc. on that video is of the video X while Ode to Joy plays in its place.

I do not fucking even...

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #48141 on: April 28, 2014, 03:18:59 pm »

Lessee... Learned to type from DF, which annoyed my Comp Tech teacher to no end when I was able to type my way faster than his method.

Favorite childhood games were the original floppy disk version of Colonization, Warcraft II, my dad's various Jane's combat flight simulators (Especially Apache Longbow), Civilization II, the first Medieval: Total War, and probably a few others.

Unless you count right now as my childhood still, in which case add KSP, FO3 and F:NV, TF2, and Minecraft with a buncha mods.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48142 on: April 28, 2014, 04:28:38 pm »

I two finger type almost as fast as my mother, who types the 'proper' way.  I think I learned mostly from oldschool MUDs.

Lesse childhood games. 
FF2(4), FF3(6), Secret of Mana (Hell yea), Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, Phantasy Star 4, Metal Warriors, Star Fox, Mario 2 (never beat it), Mario 3 (seriously I was able to speedrun that shit back before speedruns were even a THING), Mario World, Megaman X and Carnage Heart(Probably singlehandedly responsible for getting me interested in computers).

At least those games I remember as being massively nostalgic and being played in my youth, probably the dates don't match up but my memory likes to taunt me.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 04:34:05 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #48143 on: April 28, 2014, 06:37:24 pm »

I've got quite a high typing speed (About 70 WPM with 1-3 errors when I'm on a good keyboard similar to my laptop), and it really stems from just Dwarf Fortress, Nethack, and Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. I did do this one online course called "Dance Typing" or something like that, which I used to figure out how to type, but until I got into roguelikes, my WPM was absolutely abysmal.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #48144 on: April 28, 2014, 06:39:30 pm »

I think I'm going insane because I see Descan in places where he isn't.
Like I'm scrolling through some thread and then I could swear I saw his avatar, but it turns out he hasn't posted in that thread. :V
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #48145 on: April 28, 2014, 06:45:49 pm »

You cannot escape the pillaging (•‿•)

QUICK EVERYONE SWAP THEIR AVATARS TO DESCAN
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 06:47:48 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #48146 on: April 28, 2014, 06:46:30 pm »

You're walking down a road.. A road leading to.. The Twilight Zone.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48147 on: April 28, 2014, 06:50:46 pm »

Uhmmmm...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #48148 on: April 28, 2014, 06:51:28 pm »

A road leading to a cartoon viking?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #48149 on: April 28, 2014, 06:55:08 pm »

You cannot escape the pillaging (•‿•)

QUICK EVERYONE SWAP THEIR AVATARS TO DESCAN
The edit message broke my brain for a moment.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 3208 3209 [3210] 3211 3212 ... 10980