Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3328 3329 [3330] 3331 3332 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12998073 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #49935 on: May 22, 2014, 02:20:14 pm »

How come no one mentioned bot flies yet?

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49936 on: May 22, 2014, 02:24:29 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Can someone please tell me the context to this?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49937 on: May 22, 2014, 02:27:36 pm »

Oh also sand fleas can be nasty.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #49938 on: May 22, 2014, 02:30:31 pm »

It's less about hating for the sake of hate, more about controlling borders more. They don't discriminate against anyone. And actually, a better definition (Nearly the sole reason for UKIP's existence) is "A party that wishes for independence from Europe. Add to that control of said borders with Europe."
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49939 on: May 22, 2014, 02:36:58 pm »

The trouble with virii is they neither consume nor excrete, just reproduce.
Yet there are some virii that do more complex things than even some single-celled organisms yet they still don't have all of the traits to be regarded as alive.
Classifying a concept as nebulous as "life" means that the definitions won't be able to cover everything that it seems like it should.

EDIT:
It's less about hating for the sake of hate, more about controlling borders more. They don't discriminate against anyone. And actually, a better definition (Nearly the sole reason for UKIP's existence) is "A party that wishes for independence from Europe. Add to that control of said borders with Europe."
Nah people who support UKIP are massive racists with no concept of what is a good policy. That's why they're trying to play so hard on the nationalism violin. Have you seen some of the big poster adverts they've put up? Scaremongering for sure.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 02:41:36 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #49940 on: May 22, 2014, 02:58:16 pm »

Hmmm.....
It's kind of a mixed bag. Some UKIP members are just strongly anti-EU. Some are just plain racist.

Most of their recent popularity seems to be coming from the fact that they're one of the biggest parties to have not yet fucked up.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #49941 on: May 22, 2014, 03:15:40 pm »

Maybe. Besides, I looked it up. It appears no one can decide if viruses are alive :P
I remember I once convinced a large group of people that fire was alive.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #49942 on: May 22, 2014, 03:24:01 pm »

Last time I checked, in order for something to be alive, it had to have both :

1) A metabolism
2) A way of reproducing themselves.

Virii have neither, they need to hijack another host to reproduce, and don't do anything on their own.

If you consider viruses as living, then a whole lot of other things are alive as well, including some really abstract concepts such a language, culture and other things. Hell, most memes are nice examples of this.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49943 on: May 22, 2014, 03:25:04 pm »

Nah people who support UKIP are massive racists with no concept of what is a good policy. That's why they're trying to play so hard on the nationalism violin. Have you seen some of the big poster adverts they've put up? Scaremongering for sure.

I support UKIP. I am not a massive racist. But anyway, if you want to talk about it more, then mention it in the European Politics thread. This isn't really the place.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #49944 on: May 22, 2014, 03:31:06 pm »

Maybe. Besides, I looked it up. It appears no one can decide if viruses are alive :P
I remember I once convinced a large group of people that fire was alive.
Under most of the classical definitions, it is. That's why fire is the classical test of the strength of a given definition.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #49945 on: May 22, 2014, 03:47:43 pm »

they need to hijack another host to reproduce
In recent news, men aren't alive because they need to hijack a uterus? I'd make a similar remark for women to disqualify all humans, but I don't think it'd sound as flippant. Seriously, though, it's tricky business - and before you tell me that we're looking at the species level, not that of individuals, you're going to have to define "species" in a similar way. Real life doesn't like neat boxes, and I think it's more important to learn what characteristics viruses do have than argue this particular bit of ever-recurring semantic confusion.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49946 on: May 22, 2014, 04:02:14 pm »

they need to hijack another host to reproduce
In recent news, men aren't alive because they need to hijack a uterus? I'd make a similar remark for women to disqualify all humans, but I don't think it'd sound as flippant. Seriously, though, it's tricky business - and before you tell me that we're looking at the species level, not that of individuals, you're going to have to define "species" in a similar way. Real life doesn't like neat boxes, and I think it's more important to learn what characteristics viruses do have than argue this particular bit of ever-recurring semantic confusion.
Uhh, it firmly asks a cell first if it can reproduce inside of it then have explosive childbirth?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #49947 on: May 22, 2014, 04:03:08 pm »

Humans don't rewrite the DNA of the egg cells though. The DNAs are already there, while when we're talking about virii they actually rewrite the cell's DNA to produce more copies of the virii.

If we're going back to elementary school, virii fit none of the MRS GREN sorting.

An organism has movement, reproduction, sensitivity, growth, respiration, excretion, and nutrition.

Virii are not even sentient, they're just some weird chemical thing with RNA.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49948 on: May 22, 2014, 04:05:01 pm »

Some virii have a degree of sensitivity in regards to getting into a potential host cell.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49949 on: May 22, 2014, 04:15:16 pm »

Some viruses (I don't think virii is the plural?) insert their genetic code before mitosis/meiosis. In other words, they add extra code. True, later they cut up the host's code, but it's still similar to what happens between sperm and egg.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3328 3329 [3330] 3331 3332 ... 10973