Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3433 3434 [3435] 3436 3437 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12997943 times)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #51510 on: June 14, 2014, 11:03:25 pm »

Truean, out of totally random curiosity (and it's okay if you don't want to respond for some reason), why are you so adamant about people not quoting you? It's in your sig, it's at the header of most of your posts, and I've never seen anyone else, on any forum, be so persistent about making sure they don't get quoted.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51511 on: June 14, 2014, 11:43:15 pm »

Truean, out of totally random curiosity (and it's okay if you don't want to respond for some reason), why are you so adamant about people not quoting you? It's in your sig, it's at the header of most of your posts, and I've never seen anyone else, on any forum, be so persistent about making sure they don't get quoted.
Because sometimes she has to remove every trace of her existing and disappear.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #51512 on: June 15, 2014, 12:06:18 am »

Perhaps a lack of faith? "Don't quote me, I could be wrong" type thing?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51513 on: June 15, 2014, 12:14:39 am »

It's about e-discovery. If no one quotes the post, it's a lot harder to find, because it's only on the internet once, instead of multiple times.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #51514 on: June 15, 2014, 12:20:24 am »

Besides the fact that it doesn't actually work that way.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51515 on: June 15, 2014, 12:29:03 am »

Besides the fact that it doesn't actually work that way.
*shrug* I thought I read something about not quoting due to e-discovery (legally obtainable data, metadata, etc,) but I may have misunderstood what I read. I know practically nothing about legal practices, other than that I know practically nothing about them.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51516 on: June 15, 2014, 12:31:36 am »

I'm pretty sure Truean has disclaimers against quoting because she doesn't want anything she says to be misconstrued as legal advice.

Mild WTF: I completely forgot Truean's gender for a minute there and nearly used "he" ._.;
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #51517 on: June 15, 2014, 12:58:24 am »

The major thing about a post being discovered is that for the most part, it beomes easier to find the more times they're brought to it through a search result. So if someone did a google search on the domain "bay12forums" and found one of her posts it would be easier to spot after that link is clicked. Assuming toady doesn't have a robots.txt file or whatever it's called that prevents the spider activity. Assuming those even work anymore.

Owlga said it before I think, if you don't want something discoverable on the internet. Don't post it. Though I don't think any individual post on this board is a potential danger.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #51518 on: June 15, 2014, 01:02:23 am »

Plus, there's also Wayback machine that can theoretically find you even if you destroy the information.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #51519 on: June 15, 2014, 01:27:20 am »

The major thing about a post being discovered is that for the most part, it beomes easier to find the more times they're brought to it through a search result. So if someone did a google search on the domain "bay12forums" and found one of her posts it would be easier to spot after that link is clicked. Assuming toady doesn't have a robots.txt file or whatever it's called that prevents the spider activity. Assuming those even work anymore.

Google still respects them, AFAIK, but this site is crawled here (though all links end up returning as ;wap2)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51520 on: June 15, 2014, 04:34:02 am »

I remember seeing the robots.txt file so I know for sure there is one.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #51521 on: June 15, 2014, 04:41:28 am »

Yeah, there is a robots.txt.

Also, if you're not quoted you can just edit your post and the information will be gone. (She did this with her "I'm back" post)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51522 on: June 15, 2014, 04:45:10 am »

Plus, there's also Wayback machine that can theoretically find you even if you destroy the information.
From robots.txt:

# Archive.org's "wayback machine" ... nice concept, but not when it sucks down 1.3 GB of bandwidth within a week
User-agent: ia_archiver
Disallow: /

So it's blocked here. No waybacking on bay12forums for you.
._.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #51523 on: June 15, 2014, 04:47:33 am »

And it only saves periodically, anyway.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #51524 on: June 15, 2014, 09:11:08 am »

My only response: Yes.

While there may be technical ways to retrieve various information, they are not normally used. I have had several moron clients get convicted off a facebook post, etc. Protip: if you are in a custody dispute over your kid, never ever post on said kid's facebook wall or whatever, "You'll be better off at so and so's house." Nobody gives a rat's ass what your intent was in posting that, and I especially don't care if you scream at me that it was "private." No. I'm not dealing with other people's thoughts anymore about their stupid posts, because I know through practical experience that they are wrong.

When somebody "quotes" something, it means you can't edit the post they made quoting you and thus you can't easily get rid of it. Moreover, it really sucks when that happens and a thread gets locked, cause now you're double screwed.

I know everybody seems to love this whole "online" social crap, and it's becoming normal. That doesn't mean it's a good idea to have what you say permanently out there. This is yet another reason why IRC chat is usually better in that regard.

If you must quote, then just link to the post, perhaps embedded into text without featuring any of the actual content of the post itself. Example:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=68850.msg5376351#msg5376351

Or

In response to this:

Now, you may or may not see the difference but trust me, it is there. Now if SealyStar should want to edit his post, they can without my having preserved it forever out of their ability to edit it.

I'm not going to get into the various ways to deal with this stuff, but they exist. We're in a world where big brother is unfortunately real and I'm more practical than paranoid. When you quote content you are not referencing but rather you are etching into stone.... They're gonna make it the new norm so they can more easily monitor you. It doesn't matter how right you are, if you try to stop big brother's bullshit, then they will ruin your life, and literally brand you a traitor. There is a reason for rule 1 and rule 2. Don't talk about it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 09:26:06 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 3433 3434 [3435] 3436 3437 ... 10973