Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3533 3534 [3535] 3536 3537 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12997239 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #53010 on: July 02, 2014, 07:23:54 pm »

Lead the way Moses.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #53011 on: July 02, 2014, 07:47:18 pm »

I think you've somehow stumbled into a Douglas Adams story.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53012 on: July 02, 2014, 08:05:34 pm »

Moses the Amtrak café car guy.

Why don't I have these fun sorts of encounters with strangers?

Re: relationships and families, though I'm fairly young, I always imagined having kids eventually. Then I realized that earning $30k a year as a single worker is approximately the same standard of living as supporting a family of four on $120k and I was like "Nope, fuck it, never having kids".
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:08:43 pm by SealyStar »
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #53013 on: July 02, 2014, 08:19:19 pm »

Kids also rack up secondary expenses pretty damn fast. School supplies, getting sick more easily, etc. On the other hand, they do eat less for the first couple of years, and they're a good long-term investment if you're the kind of parent who makes them want to pay you back for the effort you put into raising them. Plus, each person past the first tends to raise rent (or whatever other payments you have to make for pure living space) by a smaller amount than the last, which is why roommates are a good financial decision. Similarly transportation, utilities, and other expenses whose benefits are shared.

Not to mention the sentimental value, which I hear is more than worth it to most people who have kids.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53014 on: July 02, 2014, 08:32:47 pm »

The way I see it, raising kids with a spouse/long-term partner is kind of a zero-sum affair too. So far as I've thought of it both parents working is pretty much the only thing that's financially healthy for a family of four (the "standard family", also my family growing up) unless one of them gets an $80k+ salary. But it's hard to spend time raising the kids properly if both people are working, and you then have to pay for day care when they're young anyway. And if both parents work and raise the kids, that leaves not a lot of time for their own lives.

So eh on kids.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53015 on: July 02, 2014, 08:43:27 pm »

What about families of six?
I'm friends with a family of six. They raised four kids on a single income which I believe was somewhere in the 80k range; the mom wound up getting a part-time job when the oldest kid left for college at a churchy private school (shit's expensive) and has yet to get any job despite entering his junior year this fall.

As I got older, I realized more and more of their financial situation and why they always acted half-impoverished and budgeted so compulsively.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53016 on: July 02, 2014, 08:51:28 pm »

America, you cray-cray~
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #53017 on: July 02, 2014, 09:08:10 pm »

As I got older, I realized more and more of their financial situation and why they always acted half-impoverished and budgeted so compulsively.
This kinda reminds me of my family. I'm from a family of seven (me, my four sisters, mom, and dad), and I can recall having always eat store brand food (I remember something called "chocolate and creme sandwich cookies" or whatever that my mom insisted were just like Oreos, but they weren't; they only tasted like childhood disappointment), and I we never had cable and I never got any video games growing up (though that might have been due to the fact that my mom saw no value in them, in addition to her frugality). So I only ever got to experience these things when visiting friends or relatives.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #53018 on: July 02, 2014, 09:14:52 pm »

I shit you not.
I got a massive Douglas Adams vibe just from reading that.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #53019 on: July 02, 2014, 09:22:38 pm »

I shit you not.
Wanna go check and see if he's still in his grave?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53020 on: July 02, 2014, 09:40:04 pm »

He's still at it. Didn't have my computer on to transcribe, but he's giving some people giggle fits.

Great man, he is.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #53021 on: July 02, 2014, 09:42:03 pm »

I shit you not.
Wanna go check and see if he's still in his grave?
Tawarochir... what did you do to poor Douglas Adams' corpse?

Damn ninjas.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53022 on: July 02, 2014, 09:45:11 pm »

Unfortunately, I do not believe we have zombie Douglas Adams. Unless zombie DA managed to grow an American accent, a good taste for hipster clothing, and most importantly, hair.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #53023 on: July 02, 2014, 09:47:47 pm »

Unfortunately, I do not believe we have zombie Douglas Adams. Unless zombie DA managed to grow an American accent, a good taste for hipster clothing, and most importantly, hair.

Of course not. It's clear Zombie!Douglas Adams trained the guy.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53024 on: July 02, 2014, 09:49:56 pm »

Nah, Ace is a character in the book written by DA. So is Moses.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 3533 3534 [3535] 3536 3537 ... 10973