Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3537 3538 [3539] 3540 3541 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12999130 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #53070 on: July 03, 2014, 04:33:37 pm »

The 33-year-old father then stood there with a blank look on his face, the detective said. When a witness told Harris his son needed CPR, Harris went to the other side of his vehicle and made a phone call, apparently to tell someone his son was dead, a witness told police, according to Stoddard.

Harris never called 911, and when an officer told him to get off his phone, he refused and even said, "F*** you" before an officer took his phone and handcuffed him, the detective said.

The detective alleged that Harris told police he couldn't reach anyone on his telephone, but phone records show that Harris made three calls, and one between him and his employer lasted six minutes, Stoddard said.

Meanwhile, when the boy's mother, Leanna Harris, arrived at a day care center to pick the boy up, employees there told her Cooper had never been dropped off, the detective said.
"Ross must have left him in the car," she replied, according to Stoddard. Witnesses said they tried to tell her many other things could have happened, but Leanna Harris insisted that Ross Harris must have left him in the car, Stoddard said.

Also, I've seen the security video where he put something in the car. It is virtually impossible for him not to have seen the kid.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #53071 on: July 03, 2014, 04:34:59 pm »

Note that I noticed the case when /r/childfree (if you're not familiar, they're worse than /r/atheism) locked their sub because he visited that :P

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53072 on: July 03, 2014, 04:36:02 pm »

I could not possibly fathom leaving a child in a car alone for any amount of time, least of all on hot, sunny days. Also, who forgets about their baby? Seriously, if I were a mother I would never ever stop thinking about my kid. Seeing stories like these of irresponsible parenting/child neglect makes my blood boil. :/

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #53073 on: July 03, 2014, 04:37:58 pm »

It's supposedly fairly common though. Happens a bunch to dogs too, and those are a lot more fun than kids.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #53074 on: July 03, 2014, 04:38:25 pm »

Meh, yeah I'm sort of coming around.  That does sound like murder.  Still think the focus on sexting is stupid.  Also, the witness who said his son needs CPR has seen too many movies and not enough first aid classes.

I could not possibly fathom leaving a child in a car alone for any amount of time, least of all on hot, sunny days. Also, who forgets about their baby? Seriously, if I were a mother I would never ever stop thinking about my kid. Seeing stories like these of irresponsible parenting/child neglect makes my blood boil. :/

It takes hundreds of days to raise a kid to the point where they can get out of a car on their own, and you only have to mess up once.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #53075 on: July 03, 2014, 04:40:37 pm »

http://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/19fmjf/autopilot/

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #53077 on: July 03, 2014, 04:45:33 pm »

Could you link me to the video evidence? That might convince me, although we're going to have to have proof that he looked directly at the kid. Corner-of-the-eye isn't going to cut it. People tend to see what they expect to see, and you know that. Hell, people who know the family and the car better than you do say it's possible to have missed the child.

Carol Brown, a longtime family friend who attended the funeral, said she is not ready to convict Ross Harris, as it's entirely possible he could have gone to his car during lunch and not seen the boy.
"He could have been distracted, but I do have questions about it," she said.

Quote 1: Yeah, that's not how I'd expect a criminal to behave when everything's going according to plan. It's how I'd expect a parent who lost a child to behave if they were trying to contact a loved one for emotional support.

Quote 2: That's what I was addressing when I talked about why he lied about his phone. If he's worried about the sexting thing, it's not hard to imagine somebody's gut reaction being, "What, no, my phone wasn't even working, I couldn't have been doing that." I mean, what are we even implying he was trying to hide with that lie, in relation to his son's death?

EDIT: Also, brief research suggests that it happens to a few dozen people every year in the US. "At least" 500 between 1998 and 2011, anyway. Seriously, it only takes one fuckup, and nobody's perfect.

MORE EDIT: To be clear, I'm not saying he's definitely innocent. I'm not saying it's impossible for him to be guilty. It's certainly possible, and not even in the scientist, "Yeah, it's technically possible" sense. I wouldn't even venture a guess that he's probably innocent.

But what we, as onlookers, have is certainly not enough to condemn the man.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 04:52:04 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #53078 on: July 03, 2014, 04:47:26 pm »

http://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/19fmjf/autopilot/
I regret reading that :(
Glad I've never gone into that autopilot mode [so much that it rules my life anyway] but..
._.
That story is just.. D:

I'd say "possibly suggests", at best. He went out at lunch (I'd wager odds are good the child was already dead by this point, so not making noise), it's a rear-facing carseat, and he went to the car to put something in it (as opposed to at random). He didn't check his e-mail for whatever reason (not exactly a stretch), and I'd hazard a guess that he lied about his phone because of the whole sexting thing. Certainly, Internet search history is the absolute worst way to judge criminal intent, and I shouldn't have to explain that to Bay12, home of the mermaid harvest, of all places.

Now, maybe there's evidence we don't have yet. But everything mentioned in the article is circumstantial as hell.
It's like we're all being defined by [what now is a] small happening before  :-\
Though there's a lot of varying evidences and witness reports and seemingly little on differing the situation.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 04:50:57 pm by Tiruin »

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53079 on: July 03, 2014, 04:49:08 pm »

My mood just tanked and I'm struggling to find some traction :c
Spoiler: cute piglets <3 (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 04:50:55 pm by Flandre »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #53080 on: July 03, 2014, 04:55:12 pm »

It's like we're all being defined by [what now is a] small happening before  :-\
That's exactly my point. He shouldn't be defined by a Google search any more than we should be defined by a one-off atrocity.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53081 on: July 03, 2014, 04:57:59 pm »

My mood just tanked and I'm struggling to find some traction :c
Spoiler: cute piglets <3 (click to show/hide)
In a year or so, I will be interested in those. They'll be delicious.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53082 on: July 03, 2014, 05:01:55 pm »

Had to pack boxes for someone else, since I had little to do. They had already completed one, I just had to do the other three.

Wait, three? Nine-thousand stickers per box, the job requires 70,000 stickers, and the box has 'box one of four' written on it.

TIL that 4 x 9,000 = 70,000.

I had to check if they even packed the first box correctly. On the bright side, I think I now know why some customers had been short-shipped recently.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #53083 on: July 03, 2014, 05:05:28 pm »

I wonder where the other ~4 boxes went ._.
34,000 stickers somewhere something.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53084 on: July 03, 2014, 05:09:03 pm »

Only one box was originally made, I had make and pack the rest of the boxes myself.

It was six boxes total, with five being full and the sixth being a partially full box. Customers tend to get angry when we over-ship them for some reason.

We label boxes as they are filled, so a box one of four with only the one box completed isn't uncommon. Though I prefer to label the box count after I've finished the job, in case the initial guess is off.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 05:11:44 pm by BlackFlyme »
Pages: 1 ... 3537 3538 [3539] 3540 3541 ... 10974