Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3610 3611 [3612] 3613 3614 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13173465 times)

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #54165 on: July 15, 2014, 02:03:07 am »

Since I have a total of 8 posts between joining and May of this year I feel a lot newer than the date suggest.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #54166 on: July 15, 2014, 02:08:36 am »

Nope, you're not. I joined roughly two months after you.
Check this guy out!  8)
By which I mean me.
I'll check you out all right

winky wink
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #54167 on: July 15, 2014, 02:19:24 am »

Nope, you're not. I joined roughly two months after you.
Check this guy out!  8)
By which I mean me.
I'll check you out all right

winky wink
Well, okay, but I wasn't planning on going grocery shopping anytime soon, so it'll be a while.
 :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 04:37:27 am by Lyeos »
Take a closer look at this text!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54168 on: July 15, 2014, 04:16:57 am »

Been playing a lot of old games and I think I have mostly categorized them according to a bit of criteria

1) Games that hold up and are actually pretty fun to play with no noticeable loss of quality or enjoyment (I think we all know games like this)
2) Games that hold up but where you have to excuse certain parts of the gameplay to have fun (Lands of Lore)
3) Games that don't hold up but you understand what people saw in them and can see people enjoying today... (Realms of Arkania... You need to read a guide for character creation)
4) Games that don't hold up and you have no idea how anyone liked it...
and then
5) Games that don't hold up but are somehow master strokes of genius that you WISH someone would do a modern remake of...
-Note: Holds up means playable and enjoyable to an extent. This easily shifts person to person.

So I am looking at Starpoint and honestly playing the game is so painful... and yet the concept, the features, and even some of the gameplay is amazing. Basically it is Prospector a Roguelike, in fact Prospector is clearly inspired by Starpoint, except it is much more grounded in science and where exploration is "the point" of the game with trade being secondary. Your goal is to find a world similar to earth and basically report on it, you explore many alien planets and can face many foes (some quite alien... one being just a sphere of plasma... yeah don't fight that one).

Yet my WTF is the sheer number of games in the 5th category. Heck there are quite a few "pretty playable games" that are genius in the 2nd category, a few that no one even remembers (Heck one with a fully developed conversation system years ahead of any other game in existence... made in the 90s).

There is just so much untapped potential, and people say things have already been done...

I like old games for not babying their audience, yet often that comes with severe obtuseness. I kind of wish a lot of these games found a balance between those two.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 04:22:35 am by Neonivek »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #54169 on: July 15, 2014, 04:36:22 am »

Category 5 makes me immediately think of Achron.

Why, just why.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #54170 on: July 15, 2014, 04:44:52 am »

I like old games for not babying their audience, yet often that comes with severe obtuseness. I kind of wish a lot of these games found a balance between those two.
This. I like difficulty in a game, but I also like to know how to do things. Unintuitive interfaces are a real enjoyment-killer, except in (rare) cases like DF where the game is good enough to encourage me to struggle through it.
Also when the game flat-out doesn't tell you what needs to be done to proceed. Do I click this thing? Do I stab this guy? What about that dickwad over there, do I talk to him? And what's this "ye olde scrolle" you gave me? What do I do with this?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54171 on: July 15, 2014, 04:53:11 am »

My local supermarket now stocks boxes of tissues with pictures of greatorder polar bears on them. I couldn't tell anyone why I was laughing, which made it worse.
Well, now I'm laughing, too.
Also that was a perfect use of "It was inevitable". Good job!
* Yoink ceremoniously pins a Forum Comedy medal on InsanityIncarnate.

Hm, where's Dutchling, he probably needs one of these, too... or maybe I just won't bother handing 'em out retroactively since that'd be hard.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54172 on: July 15, 2014, 04:58:36 am »

Also when the game flat-out doesn't tell you what needs to be done to proceed. Do I click this thing? Do I stab this guy? What about that dickwad over there, do I talk to him? And what's this "ye olde scrolle" you gave me? What do I do with this?

Ohh point and clicks. The goal with playing those is to never do the "do everything with everything else" (because that is kind of against the spirit of the game).

Yet when you play them enough you sort of get a 6th sense about a lot of things.

"Hmmm I am stuck and I done everything. I must have to talk to someone" or "Hmmm this object is vaguely fork like... I must have to use it as a fork later".

Some of it is just getting used to the obtuseness. Though it always annoys me when people instantly default to "dream logic", when I can think of quite a few puzzles in point and clicks that clearly fall under that (Dang it KQ6... how was ANYONE supposed to solve that Bridle puzzle?)\

Sorry off topic. The interesting thing about point and clicks is eventually after playing them enough, you just get used to those parts of the game and can often predict them in advance. SUCKS for anyone who hasn't played them though... Heck still sucks for people currently playing them (honestly I never liked the "you need to walk around and talk to everyone several times" sections... well when I didn't do them without prompting... I am probably someone who likes just listening to the full conversation trees. Especially in games like Monkey Island)

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #54173 on: July 15, 2014, 05:00:52 am »

My local supermarket now stocks boxes of tissues with pictures of greatorder polar bears on them. I couldn't tell anyone why I was laughing, which made it worse.
Weeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllll...

You know what to do.
Yes.
Everyone, you can make paper mache with Greatorder tissues now!
Take a closer look at this text!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54174 on: July 15, 2014, 07:21:15 am »

I've been here for... maybe two years?  And I'm still not fully in.  Mainly because a lot of my activity is just lurking, or writing a large post, thinking "Fuck it" and deleting the entire thing and moving on.
*long time but still not fully in brofist*

Don't worry we can have Toady make us our own section.  Call it the longbeards section.  Put up a sign that says "no greater than 20 posts a day allowed".
For some reason, I had assumed that you, Grieger, had been here longer than me. Odd.

Greiger's been around 3 years longer than you though??
This is what I get for reading the forums at like, 2am. At least it makes sense that I assumed he'd been here longer than me. *facepalm*

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #54175 on: July 15, 2014, 10:05:15 am »

I've been here for... maybe two years?  And I'm still not fully in.  Mainly because a lot of my activity is just lurking, or writing a large post, thinking "Fuck it" and deleting the entire thing and moving on.
*long time but still not fully in brofist*

Don't worry we can have Toady make us our own section.  Call it the longbeards section.  Put up a sign that says "no greater than 20 posts a day allowed".
Oh, cool, I can join. But, with a paltry 4.983 posts a day, I think I've done remarkably well in muscling my way into the community. It's gonna take a surgeon or an exorcist to get rid of me now.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54176 on: July 15, 2014, 10:31:55 am »

Huh.

Nearly three years?

Didn't feel like it's been that long.

And it also feels like, way longer.

'swhatIgetforlurkingsince'08.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54177 on: July 15, 2014, 10:33:26 am »

It's cool how little this place has changed in all that time though.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #54178 on: July 15, 2014, 10:42:51 am »

I tend to consider anyone who registered after 2012 a junior member

Though I gotta say, it felt reeeaaaaally weird when I realized how long I'd been here and how many people could be considered "newer" than me.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 10:55:42 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #54179 on: July 15, 2014, 10:53:51 am »

I've been here for almost 4 years now. Wow.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:09:39 am by Deathsword »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 3610 3611 [3612] 3613 3614 ... 10983