Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4280 4281 [4282] 4283 4284 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13138574 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #64215 on: November 28, 2014, 10:19:14 pm »

Nope, typically speaking I'm addressing males here. I've seen far too many marriages end in expensive divorces from crap like this.

It is a reponse to a bad stimulus. He can respond one of two ways, he can either watch this movie or not. He is dealing with an insane person. This activity pacifies said insane person. It's not fair, it's not right. It's not great, but that's the situation as it stands.

There is an opera house fairly nearby. How do you think they stay in business? Somebody is dragging somebody there.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 10:21:01 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #64216 on: November 28, 2014, 10:52:51 pm »

Just give your dad an iPhone or something so mum can watch her movie and dad can find something entertaining to himself.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64217 on: November 28, 2014, 10:58:03 pm »

Wait, what? Is he clueless because he's protesting watching a movie he doesn't want to watch? Or is there something I'm missing?

Your missing out the context. What Truean is saying is she is normally psycho, but she likes that movie enough to chill out whilst watching. Hence, Dad is complaining about something minor, sitting through a dull movie, when the alternative (bored mother going psycho at everyone) is much, much worse.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #64218 on: November 28, 2014, 11:14:51 pm »

^

This
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #64219 on: November 29, 2014, 12:10:30 am »

Still playing FF4. Need an item for a sidequest. 1/250 drop rate. Considering cheating.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #64220 on: November 29, 2014, 12:11:29 am »

Still playing FF4. Need an item for a sidequest. 1/250 drop rate. Considering cheating.
Why aren't you cheating yet?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #64221 on: November 29, 2014, 12:17:30 am »

Mostly because I haven't figured out how yet. Haven't found a PC trainer that just adds items or a hex editor that lets you change the drop rate.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #64222 on: November 29, 2014, 12:23:04 am »

Damn. Well, 173 battles, by my estimate, should give you a 50% chance, anyway. Godspeed.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64223 on: November 29, 2014, 12:27:32 am »

Best way is probably to hack your inventory in a save file in the hex editor, overwrite some inventory space with different item codes. This requires you to test a lot of combos though until you turn something else into the needed item.

And the game is really 100% reliant on this rare drop for you to progress at all? That's a bad design decision.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 12:29:56 am by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #64224 on: November 29, 2014, 12:30:44 am »

Wait, what? Is he clueless because he's protesting watching a movie he doesn't want to watch? Or is there something I'm missing?
Your missing out the context. What Truean is saying is she is normally psycho, but she likes that movie enough to chill out whilst watching. Hence, Dad is complaining about something minor, sitting through a dull movie, when the alternative (bored mother going psycho at everyone) is much, much worse.
Oh, okay. That makes total sense.

Why the hell is it a binary choice of boredom or psychotic wife.

This is dumb.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64225 on: November 29, 2014, 12:47:49 am »

Any time you're dealing with other people you have to make such choices. But it's an illusion to say it's a binary choice. There are many alternatives, as Sartre discussed. Dad could e.g. cut his own head off instead of watching the movie. That's a 3rd choice right there, breaking the binary, and there are countless other possible choices to get out of watching the movie. Sartre points out that any time we say "I had no choice" this is almost certainly illusion. You always have a multitude of choices, it's just that most choices aren't acceptable to you, so you decide to ignore them.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #64226 on: November 29, 2014, 12:53:38 am »

Best way is probably to hack your inventory in a save file in the hex editor, overwrite some inventory space with different item codes. This requires you to test a lot of combos though until you turn something else into the needed item.

And the game is really 100% reliant on this rare drop for you to progress at all? That's a bad design decision.

I managed to find a cheat engine that seems to work, if badly. The item isn't required to complete the game, just for a sidequest, but I've already killed around 500 of the things that drop it, and no Rainbow Pudding.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #64227 on: November 29, 2014, 12:57:25 am »

I'm quite sure it's possible to have a third choice that is at the very least slightly less extreme than self-decapitation.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #64228 on: November 29, 2014, 04:22:07 am »

There is an opera house fairly nearby. How do you think they stay in business? Somebody is dragging somebody there.
... can... can people not just like opera? If I had the money for it, and one was around, I'd... probably go. Just on m'lonesome. No dragging or being drug. Opera can be pretty nice. Gets a bum rap, it does...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64229 on: November 29, 2014, 04:52:53 am »

Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 4280 4281 [4282] 4283 4284 ... 10980