Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4475 4476 [4477] 4478 4479 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13188590 times)

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #67140 on: January 09, 2015, 09:33:35 pm »

My chemistry teacher making a Leeroy Jenkins reference.
Regards,
Dampe

King Kravoka

• Bay Watcher
  • I will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67141 on: January 09, 2015, 11:44:50 pm »

The ULTIMATE LIBERAL is back at his insanity. He insists that his system is beyond good or evil, did I mention that it's a gaming system? And that, is why I'm calling him the ULTIMATE LIBERAL.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, and the actual liberal president cracking down on preparing for any apocalyptic event.
Sure. Yes, you are the Silver Surfer to a very inept Galactus.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #67142 on: January 09, 2015, 11:53:24 pm »

Whats liberal about creating a large, bloated and centralized seat of near autocraticpower from which you can choose what to distribute to whom in an arbitrary and typically straw reason? :P
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #67143 on: January 09, 2015, 11:56:05 pm »

Once you get that autocratic, whatever side of the spectrum you're on is blurred anyway. Horseshoe and all.

King Kravoka

• Bay Watcher
  • I will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67144 on: January 10, 2015, 12:10:21 am »

Once you get that autocratic, whatever side of the spectrum you're on is blurred anyway. Horseshoe and all.
Let's be honest, the [REDACTED] is best classified as it's own political party, if it has any political leaning.
Sure. Yes, you are the Silver Surfer to a very inept Galactus.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67145 on: January 10, 2015, 12:28:44 am »

A cousin of mine has a PS2. I played some stuff on it one time, it was pretty solid. It'd be my second pick for a console if Nintendo didn't come first.
I actually have a PS3 that is capable of playing PS2 games. I'm not sure where you can find them anymore, though.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #67146 on: January 10, 2015, 12:35:01 am »

Let's be honest, the [REDACTED] is best classified as it's own political party, if it has any political leaning.
I'm pretty sure a lone madman accessing the Internet via assistant doesn't count as a political party.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #67147 on: January 10, 2015, 01:05:59 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s

how the hell was this a song
i'm confused

Don't you dare insult men at work
They were a pretty good band
And that song gets stuck in my head a lot
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67148 on: January 10, 2015, 06:45:51 am »

The last band was so bad. It felt like they were trying to be as bad as possible, except they weren't- they were just bad
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #67149 on: January 10, 2015, 12:44:09 pm »

Listening to music on Spotify, when I suddenly hear an elder god speaking to me.

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.co.uk

Apparantly I'm getting ads in Welsh now...

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #67150 on: January 10, 2015, 12:46:24 pm »

"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."

Stay true to the cause, brothers, stay true.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #67151 on: January 10, 2015, 01:00:15 pm »

Those cretins have effectively confiscated my homemade Hydroxy Gas Production Unit! :(

Basically if you run an electric current through water, it will separate into oxygen gas and hydrogen gas (and shock and/or blow you up if you don't know what you're doing. I do.) I used scrap sheet metal (sanded to wear off the finish/increase surface area). I used 4 inch ABS plastic cleanout fittings, 3/8 inch poly tubing, and some scrap 4 inch and 2 inch acrylic tubing. I created generator plates by having the machine precision cut metal plates laid out plate/washer/plate/nut. That was the 4 inch tube generator chamber, and the 2 inch was for a bubbler. 6 cups of distilled water and 4 teaspoons of potassium hydroxide (catalyst for electrical flow). Two car batteries as power would make about 5 litters of hydroxy gas fuelant off that 6 cups of distilled water. I disassembled the entire thing after this, took pictures of it and handed it over to them....

[I am not going to provide all the details on how to do this for fear someone might try to copy it. This is dangerous if you don't know what you're doing and trust me, you probably don't. I do. Blasting is an ultra-hazardous activity and that's what it will be if you screw up. DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER TRYING THIS AT HOME.]

Hydrogen gas is a highly explosive material and having oxygen gas in the mix makes it all the moreso. While the assertion that this could absolutely be used to make explosives/bombs is true, the fact remains that it could also be used to make fuel for a generator creating fuel power. If you've ever heard of a hydrogen car or the navy turning seawater into fuel, then this is the same basic concept. Essentially, you could make a bomb out of gasoline too, but that doesn't mean you'd actually DO it.... It also doesn't mean gasoline should be illegal.... Also there is plenty of gasoline on school grounds, in cars, in the maintenance sheds (they run those lawn mowers on something), etc.

So, now on to how this whole mess got going. I have tutored certain students for some time in a variety of subjects, including English literature, mathematics (basic) and science, among others. The local high school chemistry teacher asked me to do a demonstration for his Advanced Placement College Credit Class (AP Chem Class) as a reward for good behavior / as a way to show how this stuff was actually useful / should be paid attention to / might actually lead to a career (you know, like an engineer of whatever kind). Plus these are some of the brightest and best behaved kids they have.

EVERYTHING WENT OFF WITHOUT A HITCH. It was essentially the sole exhibit at a really cool science fair thingy, and I made sure not to let any of the kids get too close of a look at it. The idea was simple. We got approval from the school and its legal counsel / board of directors, and local police to have the kids bring in plastic water bottles. I would then take those bottles from them, fill those with gas one at a time and with a very small and controlled reaction, propel the water bottle across the football field. In essence, it was a really neat little way to make a plastic water bottle fly a few yards.

Of course, after the fact, and despite getting approval from all the right channels (including the police who showed up to watch cause and supervise, cause it was neat), somebody complained. Blah, blah, blah, bringing things onto school grounds that shouldn't be. Blah blah blah, "explosive" blah blah blah. Blah, blah blah, "hydrogen gas!" blah blah blah. "Think of the children!" Blah blah blah.  ::)

So in essence, even getting prior approval from the school board, the school's legal counsel, the local police (who showed up to watch cause it was cool), the principal, and permission slips from the kids' parents isn't enough to essentially do a neato science fair experiment after school for the 24 or so smartest kids in the school...?  ??? Never mind that I have certified expertise in the area, am a super responsible person, and NOTHING BAD HAPPENED / EVERYBODY LOVED IT, that doesn't matter. It seems what does matter is some moron whose kid wasn't even anywhere near having anything to do with any of this complained hysterically.... Fuel of the future that might provide these kids with jobs/free energy whose only byproduct is literally water? Meh.

The local police, who like me and didn't wanna do it, asked me to turn in my Hydroxy Gas Production Unit, and all related chemicals, which I did. It is NOT illegal to do anything that I did, and there are worse compounds in the class supply cabinet in the school's chemistry supply (caustic acids / alkalines / PH substances, pure sodium, and TONS of other shit waaaaaay worse than anything I wanna get around. There is a reason they have eyewash stations and emergency showers man....)

The police officers themselves actually video taped the whole thing (cause again, it was cool). It was basically, as follows. Step One, everybody sits and watches a power point explaining the chemical reactions and applications in simplified form which you could find in Popular Mechanic's magazine, or a widely available online news article, or whatever. Step Two, the kids hand me empty plastic water bottles with their names on them. Step Three, from a good safe distance, everybody watches as the gas filled bottles fly across the football field one at a time. Step Four, the kid whose freaking empty water bottle flew the furthest, got some kinda prize like candy or something, from the teacher. Once again, not a single bad thing happened.

O, I'll be perfectly fine, and I'm gonna get it back if I have to sue, but this is bullshit.

This is why we can't have nice things.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 01:10:12 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #67152 on: January 10, 2015, 01:07:36 pm »

That's remarkably short-sighted of them. Do they ban regular bottle rockets, too? I mean, I've heard of kids getting their noses broken by those...

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #67153 on: January 10, 2015, 01:11:40 pm »

The parent in question may have not been aware of the totality that happened, and possibly inserted assumptions of their own in there. :-\

That said, I'd love to see the police video (if they uploaded it anyway) because that is awesome (and a very good application of science).

Also from how I read it back there--the nice things being gone seems more temporary than not. I mean, experts agreed that its ok. Those under study of it saw it was ok. Those who have performed it followed safety and personal protection protocol...which is totally ok.
And no collateral was had.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #67154 on: January 10, 2015, 01:19:08 pm »

They're teaching applied science in schools? Complete with proper safety equipment, personnel and preparations, and everyone actually involved being aware of the risks? Where has the world gone? This cannot continue, I must complain even though neither I nor my child was in any way involved! [/sarcasm]
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 4475 4476 [4477] 4478 4479 ... 10983