Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4542 4543 [4544] 4545 4546 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13183878 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #68145 on: January 22, 2015, 05:45:26 pm »

I guess it would actually be impossible to not be hot and to not be cold if you were to strictly define the ranges. So something is hot when t =< 10C and cold when t > 10C. There would be no temperature where you would be neither. Unless you were to do division by zero or something.
Something neither hot nor cold is lukewarm
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68146 on: January 22, 2015, 05:47:28 pm »

I said I believed the two were not mutually exclusive. Everyone turns and looks. Teacher asks what I mean by that. I tell him I believe that you can believe in religion and evolution, or religion and science for that matter, that the two are not opposites. He said that that's "like being not hot or cold", that it was like I was saying I don't support any of the two.
I'm pretty sure I actually said the exact opposite, that I support both. I just don't get why people think that you are forced to take one side or the other, that there has to be a divide.

Maybe he defines religion as a hatred of science, and science as a hatred for religion. By those definitions you would hate both religion and science. Which he somehow thinks is impossible. Because things can be both not hot or cold, because hot and cold are relative concepts and something can be "just right". Maybe he is just really bad at setting the water temperature when he takes a shower?

I guess it would actually be impossible to not be hot and to not be cold if you were to strictly define the ranges. So something is hot when t =< 10C and cold when t > 10C. There would be no temperature where you would be neither. Unless you were to do division by zero or something.
I think you have your inequalities backward there.

Indeed I do. It's late and I was barely paying attention while writing that.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #68147 on: January 22, 2015, 05:53:47 pm »

... isn't cold actually like... not a thing, technically? There's only more or less heat, or something like that. I forget exactly how it goes. I mean, I realize C's science teacher is shit heaped upon incompetence heaped upon shit, but... science... not being hot or cold is being being, since there's only degrees of hot...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #68148 on: January 22, 2015, 05:54:24 pm »

* Tiruin cheers Caroline.

We don't argue such things here ._.
On one side--its in due respect to both, and on the many other sides, theologians and historians see mutual views with both creation and evolution in regards to their ideas.

Aaaalso Caroline, I think the person you were talking to had underlying assumptions which were very conclusive to him, already, which...led to his wording like that. :P
Like "books aren't fun".
:v

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #68149 on: January 22, 2015, 05:56:16 pm »

Books weren't fun for me in school, though this was because of textual analysis in English class, which I found to be quite... unpleasant, for a number of reasons.

Thus I didn't actually read for fun in high school :o
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68150 on: January 22, 2015, 06:05:39 pm »

-Idiots think that evolution is incompatible with Christianity-
I thought only Americans were that dumb.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #68151 on: January 22, 2015, 06:08:10 pm »

Everyone everywhere is varying degrees of stupid.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68152 on: January 22, 2015, 06:08:55 pm »

-Idiots think that evolution is incompatible with Christianity-
I thought only Americans were that dumb.

Richard Dawkins.

But he just doesn't like religion, so... yeah.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68153 on: January 22, 2015, 06:15:18 pm »

Books weren't fun for me in school, though this was because of textual analysis in English class, which I found to be quite... unpleasant, for a number of reasons.

I completely understand. I only love reading because I started reading independently at an early age. People who are forced to read and analyze their readings develop an evasion to reading as a result, often due to schools forcing them.

On that subject matter, I hate being told that I'm wrong when my anylyzation of poetry differs from that of my English teacher because there is no concrete answer. These things are left up to interperetation, but they treat them like there is a definite answer when we all know there isn't.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68154 on: January 22, 2015, 06:19:32 pm »

I completely understand. I only love reading because I started reading independently at an early age. People who are forced to read and analyze their readings develop an evasion to reading as a result, often due to schools forcing them.

On that subject matter, I hate being told that I'm wrong when my anylyzation of poetry differs from that of my English teacher because there is no concrete answer. These things are left up to interperetation, but they treat them like there is a definite answer when we all know there isn't.

Exactly. Another reason I didn't like it was because the questions usually went along the lines of "What was the other trying to say by using this word/why did they say this phrase?" and the answer should be "How the fuck should I know, I'm not the author." I don't like the idea of basically putting words into someone's mouth by saying "Yeah, they meant this."

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68155 on: January 22, 2015, 06:20:05 pm »

Some teachers are actually robots and can only spout answers from a textbook.  Its polite to humour them, because they can't really help it, being robots and all.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #68156 on: January 22, 2015, 06:20:30 pm »

Repetitions of the same forms of stupid, it always seemed to me.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #68157 on: January 22, 2015, 06:21:03 pm »

Exactly. Another reason I didn't like it was because the questions usually went along the lines of "What was the other trying to say by using this word/why did they say this phrase?" and the answer should be "How the fuck should I know, I'm not the author." I don't like the idea of basically putting words into someone's mouth by saying "Yeah, they meant this."
I hate that stuff too.

On a completely unrelated note, the "new" marker on the RAGE thread won't go away no matter how many times I check back.

EDIT: Aaaaand it's gone. The heck?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68158 on: January 22, 2015, 06:21:27 pm »

I should add this to my sig. May I?
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #68159 on: January 22, 2015, 06:38:20 pm »

I drop-kicked one of my otherwise favorite books out of frustration with a homework assignment I had to do on it. Actually kicked the friggin book across the room.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 4542 4543 [4544] 4545 4546 ... 10983