Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4661 4662 [4663] 4664 4665 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12996235 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #69930 on: February 16, 2015, 12:39:06 am »

Why is more than half of the right-click context menu disabled when exploring a compressed file in Windows Explorer!? That makes me confused and angry!

Probably because that half is not really actually something you can do with compressed files or something along those lines...

Some of them maybe, but the main thing I want to do is simply to open a file with a program other than the default program (It's a zip file full of .txt files that were mostly created on old Macintosh computers; so if you try to open them in Windows notepad it eats all the page breaks, but if I open it in Open Office it displays properly {it's the zip file from the bottom of this page BTW})
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #69931 on: February 16, 2015, 12:40:54 am »

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:33:04 am by penguinofhonor »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #69932 on: February 16, 2015, 12:42:02 am »

oh wow its like someone is massaging my eyes

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #69933 on: February 16, 2015, 12:49:26 am »

According to Law and Order Special Victims unit
Which, as we all know, is 100% accurate to real life...

This article: Sex assault reporting on Canadian campuses worryingly low, say experts.
Yeah, titling fail. I ran into that article a week or so ago and had the same WTF for a minute before understanding it. That stuff is a real problem, but the way it was phrased makes it sound weird.
It's more of a two-part WTF for me. First is the title. But reading the article, they don't even address the possibility that maybe, just maybe, there are fewer assaults being reported because there are fewer assaults happening.

E: So many ninjas.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69934 on: February 16, 2015, 12:51:39 am »

This one is actually something I found a while ago because I was looking for something along these lines, but I bet It'll make you all go WTF:

http://www.roguetemple.com/z/hyper/
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69935 on: February 16, 2015, 12:53:11 am »

It's more of a two-part WTF for me. First is the title. But reading the article, they don't even address the possibility that maybe, just maybe, there are fewer assaults being reported because there are fewer assaults happening.

I don't see how that would fit their preconceived narrative at all...  Clearly the data is wrong.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #69936 on: February 16, 2015, 01:03:02 am »

This one is actually something I found a while ago because I was looking for something along these lines, but I bet It'll make you all go WTF:

http://www.roguetemple.com/z/hyper/
That's pretty cool, actually. At least it sounds cool. I can't be bothered trying it to see how well it actually works out.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #69937 on: February 16, 2015, 01:06:45 am »

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:33:34 am by penguinofhonor »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69938 on: February 16, 2015, 01:13:49 am »

Does the article give the actual numbers? Because it might not be a matter of sexual assault never happening, it might simply be a case of the campus not being Law & Order SVU
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #69939 on: February 16, 2015, 01:15:40 am »

In 2013, 179 assaults were reported, a 21 per cent rise over 2012 and a 66 per cent rise over the number of sexual assaults reported in 2009.

Also:
Dalhousie University declined to provide any data at all. The school’s dentistry college was recently rocked by a scandal involving misogynistic comments on Facebook.
a scandal involving misogynistic comments on Facebook
Really?

E: Found it. Apparently some guys were making pervy jokes on Facebook, and that counts as hatred of women now.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 01:21:35 am by Orange Wizard »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69940 on: February 16, 2015, 01:25:18 am »

Quote from: Neonivek link=topic=68850.msg6038561#msg6038561
According to Law and Order Special Victims unit. Universities will often handle sexual assaults behind closed doors. Often shielding the person who did them from harm.

This raises the question of why somebody who has been the victim of a major felony would report it to the largely authorityless - corruption or not - campus rent-a-cops instead of reporting it to the real police.

I know if I had been, for example, robbed or beaten while in college the first thing I would do would be to call the police; I doubt it would even occur to me to contact campus security or the school administration at all.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #69941 on: February 16, 2015, 01:57:24 am »

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:34:27 am by penguinofhonor »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69942 on: February 16, 2015, 02:13:04 am »

What kind of college did you all go to!?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69943 on: February 16, 2015, 02:36:31 am »

Wow, I am a serious detriment to this board at times. If you want happiness don't read spoiler.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 03:04:58 am by Neonivek »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #69944 on: February 16, 2015, 03:35:23 am »

The University of Ottowa has 42000 students. Assuming 50% female students (which is low if Canadian college is like American college), approximately 9240 of the current students would report having experienced some form of sexual assault at the school. Also realize that this survey wouldn't measure women who were assaulted multiple times or men who were assaulted. Adding those incidents in, I'm sure the number is way higher than ten.
"Unwanted sexual touching" does not equate to "sexual assault". Have you never had another student randomly touch you? That stuff is really common. It's happened to me, and my friends. I went to a pretty conservative school (e.g. they fired a teacher for being gay) which you would think would lower the overall perviness of its roll. It's just that random touching isn't a violation on the same level as, say, rape. No-one's been emotionally scarred from having their butt slapped in a corridor a couple of times.
Pages: 1 ... 4661 4662 [4663] 4664 4665 ... 10973