Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4678 4679 [4680] 4681 4682 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13184779 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #70185 on: February 19, 2015, 07:01:27 pm »

Turtle and parrot lifespans sound like proof that dinosaurs were intelligent, to me.  Since their ancestors have long lives.  (joking I guess)
also Google says it's 7F here and Yahoo says 11F
I'm inclined to believe Google.  BRB putting on a leather jacket as a fifth layer.
No, fingers, wake up
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #70186 on: February 19, 2015, 07:12:33 pm »

Seems weird that animal lifespans are so arbitrary.  Goldfish and bears can live about 30 years, Parrots and Turtles can live about 90.  So why do dogs and cats only live 10-15 years?

'cause some humans are stupid and can't look after their animals properly.

I don't see how it's arbitrary though. It's not as though once they hit a certain age they keel over...

I'm pretty sure that a dog not living to 90 has nothing to do with how well it's taken care of. And the arbitrary part is how the lifespans are all different.

That suggests some decision-making mechanism though, but I don't really want to get into that.

People do have an inordinate influence on how long a cat or dog lives though.

Uh, no. You can help or hurt pet lifespans to a certain degree with your control over their diet or exercise, but that's trivial in comparison to average lifespans, issues to do with specific breeds, &c. For example, large purebred dogs are rarely going to make it much past a decade due to a combination of inbreeding and health problems related to their sheer size.

Cats, however, are more in the 15-20 year range, assuming they're well-cared for (because no shit letting your cat run around outside in a city is an easy way to lose it). We've had five in my lifetime, none of them died younger than 15-16, and they all received similar care, but the actual lifespan was pretty arbitrary -- four of them were tortoiseshells and one was a Siamese, and of those, the toothless starving adult stray we took in lived the longest, while the other four were with us from kittenhood (the Siamese lived to be 23, the second oldest). Cats are also fairly predictable; if you don't let them out and risk car/animal/whatever killing them, it's going to be kidney failure every damn time. And there's nothing you can do about it.

tl;dr living conditions are not that significant. A dog or cat will not live to be 30 regardless of what you do, just as a human being will not live to be 200. All good care does is push them towards the high end of the natural spectrum.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #70187 on: February 19, 2015, 07:28:40 pm »

just as a human being will not live to be 200.

Challenge. Motherfucking. ACCEPTED.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #70188 on: February 19, 2015, 07:56:39 pm »

Last I checked, most of it has to do with diet, general activities, and suchlike. Size, to a certain degree, iirc. It's generally not arbitrary at all, but instead a consequence of their biology and lifestyle. A highly active mammalian carnivore (cats, dogs) is generally not going to have that impressive of a lifespan, ferex.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70189 on: February 19, 2015, 08:00:09 pm »

why is it so cold
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70190 on: February 19, 2015, 08:02:09 pm »

why is it so cold
You see, KoSS, the Earth's orbit isn't circular, but elliptical. Add to that the planet's natural tilt, for a significant fraction of the year, an entire hemisphere will be just far away enough from the sun that it results in significant drops in temperature.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 08:04:30 pm by Darvi »

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70191 on: February 19, 2015, 08:03:43 pm »

why is it so cold
You see, KoSS, the Earth's orbit isn't circular, but elliptical. Add to that the planet's natural tilt, for a significant fraction of the year, an entire hemisphere will be just far away enough from the sun that it results in significant drops in temperature.
*blocked from the sun

It's not distance, it's the fact that it's shielded by the other hemisphere.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #70192 on: February 19, 2015, 08:05:00 pm »

I'd argue that natural lifespans are absolutely arbitrary. Not in the sense that "We don't know how long things will live, it's completely arbitrary!" but rather "Why do groups of animals which exhibit this or that sort of behavior die at this age rather than that age? Why do human bodies stop maintaining themselves at 60-70 years old, rather than 30-40 or 120-130?" We have a good understanding of the how, less so of the why.

3. Run Resize Enable

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70193 on: February 19, 2015, 08:05:52 pm »

Yeah I think the tilt is the more important factor, with the orbit just contributing to the southern hemisphere's more relatively mild winters. But it's 1AM and I don't care about accuracy, so meh.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #70194 on: February 19, 2015, 08:06:20 pm »

I'd argue that natural lifespans are absolutely arbitrary. Not in the sense that "We don't know how long things will live, it's completely arbitrary!" but rather "Why do groups of animals which exhibit this or that sort of behavior die at this age rather than that age? Why do human bodies stop maintaining themselves at 60-70 years old, rather than 30-40 or 120-130?" We have a good understanding of the how, less so of the why.
Why would there be a why?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70195 on: February 19, 2015, 08:07:09 pm »

Because there's always gonna be a small child that just won't stop asking questions.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #70196 on: February 19, 2015, 08:07:57 pm »

"So... Is this what you want LG? To become one or whatever?"

"THIS IS ONE OPTIOOON, TO EXPERIENCE THE ECSTASY OF EGO DEEEATH."

christ adventure time slow down

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #70197 on: February 19, 2015, 08:11:46 pm »

You see? Provided you're not a believer of some faith or another, there's no apparent reason for why a given type of animal tends to live as long as it does (in absolute terms, rather than relative to other species). Thus, arbitrary lifespan.

3. Run Resize Enable

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #70198 on: February 19, 2015, 08:12:40 pm »

Because there's always gonna be a small child that just won't stop asking questions.
why won't they stop?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #70199 on: February 19, 2015, 08:17:41 pm »

You see? Provided you're not a believer of some faith or another, there's no apparent reason for why a given type of animal tends to live as long as it does (in absolute terms, rather than relative to other species). Thus, arbitrary lifespan.
I'm... faintly confused by what you mean by "why", here. We know fairly well both the mechanism (various bits of biology) and the reason they're like that (evolution, if not an exact mapping of the history). It's... not arbitrary. Lifespans are a direct results of the species history. The why is "that's what their surroundings made of them"... more or less.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 4678 4679 [4680] 4681 4682 ... 10983