Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4779 4780 [4781] 4782 4783 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13189514 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #71700 on: March 11, 2015, 12:42:44 pm »

You could always take the easy route and presume you're the flash grown clone that replaced the previous Akura in its sleep. You'd only be a few hours old in that case~

...Except that a flash-clone has a much shorter lifespan than a normal person.

Unrelated,  but my phone has 1337 minutes of talk time on it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71701 on: March 11, 2015, 12:44:23 pm »

You could always take the easy route and presume you're the flash grown clone that replaced the previous Akura in its sleep. You'd only be a few hours old in that case~

Presume that science fixed it.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #71702 on: March 11, 2015, 12:48:07 pm »

Entirely irrelevant, since you'll be replaced as well when you go to sleep.

You're young, though! Probably even in relation to the total, shortened, lifespan in your scenario. It just doesn't matter because they come for you when you sleep :3
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Wolfkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71703 on: March 11, 2015, 12:57:09 pm »

Also, you're probably pretty gullible, being born yesterday and all.

By the way, you owe me $500.
You wanna frisk this guy? This guy with the technicolor wonder limbs? The limbs that could probably slap you on several different levels of reality?
Your tabs are just pure chaos, Wolfkit.
Sig

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71704 on: March 11, 2015, 01:29:42 pm »

Why the heck is melee attack bonus improved by strength rather than dexterity??
Designing a new character in DND 3.5E, and a little frustrated that dodging is almost impossible against epically strong but slow ogre zombies.  Or treants.  They have reach, too, so they get free attacks of opportunity on the approach.  They're supposed to be slow!  It's enough that they hit hard enough to nearly one-shot a 16 CON high-level cleric...

But then, I can negate AoO with a successful tumble check - which isn't opposed or anything, it just completely ignores all their stats.  This system is weird.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #71705 on: March 11, 2015, 01:33:23 pm »

I believe it's because a stronger attack is more likely to pierce armour; the defensive value is Armour Class, after all. It still makes no sense for unarmoured characters relying on dodging, though.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71706 on: March 11, 2015, 01:35:15 pm »

I'm guessing it's partly to prevent classes from becoming too MAD.

Though there is a feat that can change it to dex, I think. That it takes a feat to do it is kind of lame though, and your damage still depends on your strength.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #71707 on: March 11, 2015, 01:46:55 pm »

Weapon finesse, sure, at the least. Probably who knows how many others (and more that shifts it to other stats beyond strength or dex), but that's the most basic I can recall. S'limited to certain weapons as well, iirc, and is a pre-req for a handful of things. S'how it works in Incursion, anyway.

Though that one, at least, doesn't change it to dex... just lets you use the higher of the two, if for some odd reason (temp (de)buffs, gorram weird builds, etc.) you've got weapon finesse and a higher strength than dex.

Anyway, there's probably reasoning for it somewhere or another. Though as always, if it's troublesome enough, homebrew. Always homebrew.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71708 on: March 11, 2015, 01:51:29 pm »

Heh, my group barely leaves core books, let alone acknowledge homebrew.

Yea, wording says higher, but I just assumed that people would go for it to take advantage of their dex. I don't think I've ever actually used any feats that required finesse, so it didn't come across my mind.

There is also Guided Hand, which lets you use your wisdom instead, but in Pathfinder you need to be a class that can channel energy to get it.

Or just get an enchantment that does either of those, plus allows you to add your bonus to damage as well. Only for the enchanted weapon, of course.
E: The agile enchantment requires you to have finesse anyways. Why? Guided Weapon doesn't require Guided Hand.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 01:58:13 pm by BlackFlyme »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71709 on: March 11, 2015, 01:57:55 pm »

There's "Weapon Finesse", yeah.  It only works on light weapons though (with a few exceptions like rapiers and... spiked chains).  It's mostly for rogues, since it only adds to the attack roll...  Damage is still based on strength, so you need something like sneak attack to add damage to each roll.

I don't see how having multiple important attributes is a problem, though, from a gameplay perspective.  I kinda prefer how it is in Fallout, where most of the stats are significant to any character.  Like a cowardly sniper still needing strength to properly handle the sniper rifle, or constitution to survive radiation.  Or a brawler using skill points based on intelligence (particularly in the originals, before skills hard-capped at 100).

Fun thread which helps stamp out anything like that in DND and possibly Pathfinder:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?125732-3-x-X-stat-to-Y-bonus

I don't deny it's fun designing characters to be mechanically optimized, but...  Idunno.  Probably just getting burnt out building two new characters from scratch.

Heh, I keep joking about making a grig barbarian using the (SRD) variant rules which trade Rage for Favored Enemy and the archery bonus feats.  With D12 hit dice and a decent CON, it doesn't matter that it's literally a tiny faerie...  It'll have just as many HP as anyone else, and a better armor class.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 02:01:08 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71710 on: March 11, 2015, 02:00:33 pm »

It may also be because of point-buy games, which can more or less enforce min-maxing, depending on how generous the point-pool is.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71711 on: March 11, 2015, 02:06:55 pm »

It may also be because of point-buy games, which can more or less enforce min-maxing, depending on how generous the point-pool is.

Well a big issue with point buy is it is easy to have people fall by the wayside.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71712 on: March 11, 2015, 02:11:56 pm »

I prefer rolling. In my group it is roll 4d6, keep the three highest. Do this seven times to make a set, and cross off the lowest number. After three sets, you choose which set you want for your stats.

Though it seems that point-buy is relatively popular, from what I've seen. Rolling your stats is so old-school, as I've been told.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #71713 on: March 11, 2015, 02:21:09 pm »

It might be due to an emphasis on roleplaying; you can totally decide your character, right down to their stats! I don't like this, because it tends to create quite samey characters in roleplays. Dice rolling for stats probably helps roleplaying, in fact; limitations help creativity.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71714 on: March 11, 2015, 02:23:37 pm »

I can't even tell what sort of mood I'm in right now. O.o
At least part of me is tired. I think I'll sleep. That sounds like a plan.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 4779 4780 [4781] 4782 4783 ... 10983