Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4782 4783 [4784] 4785 4786 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12995443 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #71745 on: March 11, 2015, 07:58:05 pm »

4th ed is a roleplaying game.

It is just further on the "Game" scale then most pen and paper games you are used to. (FateRPG and MechWarrior make the two sides of the scale. Where FateRPG is a very rule light game where the rules are just there as an excuse for roleplaying... where MechWarrior is a game that has roleplaying tacked onto it... And MechWarrior is a GREAT Pen and Paper RPG)

Mind you it isn't all the way to the MechWarrior side of things... but still.

If anything the largest flaw 4th ed has beyond "It should be a side game not the 4th edition of dungeons and dragons" is that it is beholden to roleplaying tropes.

It could have been an awesome squad building pen and paper game :D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 08:02:29 pm by Neonivek »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71746 on: March 11, 2015, 08:09:17 pm »

Yeah, that's why I said it wasn't a role-playing game - because for me, a role-playing game should be a system for making internally believable stories. 4th edition really sucks in terms of making internally believable stories, partially because of the language it uses for describing what classes can do (striker? controller? are we talking about robots? and I'm not even touching the myriads of "I move the opponent 1 tile to the side" abilities), partially because of the greatly limited scope of "things the adventurers can do", partially because of the loot system where the DM is directly advised to ask you for a wish-list of items you want and then insert them in the loot piles.

It would make for a pretty decent war-game, though. It's got a lot of fun interactions and it's actually somewhat balanced.
._.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #71747 on: March 11, 2015, 08:09:55 pm »

Apparently people consider talking a sign of confidence? I think that's weird... I only talk when I'm nervous, when I'm feeling confident I take time to stop and analyze what's happening before I talk.

I find talking a lot can be quite useful for making people ignore me, which seems odd but it really reduces people's curiosity.

Also my heart rate is apparently 123bpm at rest. I don't think that's very healthy, is it?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #71748 on: March 11, 2015, 08:12:46 pm »

Apparently people consider talking a sign of confidence? I think that's weird... I only talk when I'm nervous, when I'm feeling confident I take time to stop and analyze what's happening before I talk.

I find talking a lot can be quite useful for making people ignore me, which seems odd but it really reduces people's curiosity.

Also my heart rate is apparently 123bpm at rest. I don't think that's very healthy, is it?
If anyone here knew my past--I'd state that the orange portion is very meaningful.
I couldn't speak a lot in public or on many things due to not being 'confident', as a general notion.
Also do note, the blue part still means you talk :P and I think yu could note that to others who mentioned that to you so they can get a clearer picture.

And on the next bit...that depends on what you talk about ._. also social etiquette and such.

And..not really. If you're concerned with your health, go for a check up. :-\

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71749 on: March 11, 2015, 08:16:54 pm »

I reckon Cptn's right about talking, on both counts. If you talk without thinking it makes it sound like you know exactly what you want to say, which translates to being confident. If you stop and think then you seem unsure or indecisive, which is not confident.
And the art of talking codshit in such a way that people stop paying attention to your words is a thing too. At most they'll register that you're talking and a general subject.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71750 on: March 11, 2015, 08:31:35 pm »

It generally shows confidence, so long as you're not babbling. Many politicians have mastered the art of saying very little in a lot of words.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #71751 on: March 11, 2015, 08:32:53 pm »

What it basically means is that you'd need to roll two attack rolls for every attack you make, one to see if you land a hit, and another to see if the hit does damage.

So, for example, instead of AC 20, you would have DAC 5 and AAC 15. Any attack that roll higher than AAC but lower than AAC+DAC would count as hitting the armor.

I've already accounted for that issue. You only need a single attack roll, it's just that there's more granularity in the list of possible results. Granted, there are bound to be some edge cases where the system would start to behave weirdly, but it's better that what we have now.
I don't really see how that's better, unless you want to start modeling armor damage. Both systems would output the same result, unless you're going to complicate things further with different damage types getting partial armor penetration, shock damage, &c., which again is needlessly tedious for a roleplaying game. As he said, what you're asking for is the sort of thing that would fit right in to a wargame. RPGs aren't about perfectly simulating every aspect of combat, they're about creating a good enough combat system such that it has versimilitude, so that it can be worked into the story they're building.

Again, you're trying to create a mechanic to make up for lazy roleplaying. If an attack was just below the target's AC, rather than saying "You miss," when they're attacking a slow, armored target, give a brief description of them denting the armor, or their blade skittering off scarcely an inch from a vulnerable joint. If you get to the point where people stop caring about the descriptions and just want to get on with it, the mechanic becomes redundant as well but can't simply be dropped for convenience.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #71752 on: March 11, 2015, 08:41:09 pm »

I really wish people would take into account how difficult some systems are to roleplay at the table.
Yes, your system that requires 30d10s per player does model a bellcurve excellently! But how in Camelot am I supposed to get hundreds of 10-sided dice? And yep, your combat does manage to model every single outcome that could happen when an arrow hits someone, but that requires me to spend half the night describing it to my friends.
Note, these examples are exaggerated, unless you're playing FATAL.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71753 on: March 11, 2015, 08:43:49 pm »

And yep, your combat does manage to model every single outcome that could happen when an arrow hits someone, but that requires me to spend half the night describing it to my friends.
The arrow hits you in the
*roll*
left ear, and pierces through to the
*roll*
left kidney.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71754 on: March 11, 2015, 08:53:08 pm »

And yep, your combat does manage to model every single outcome that could happen when an arrow hits someone, but that requires me to spend half the night describing it to my friends.
The arrow hits you in the
*roll*
left ear, and pierces through to the
*roll*
left kidney.
"I, uh, try to remove the arrow?"
You try to pull it out,
*roll*
which causes your intestines to spill out,
*roll*
and gives you brain damage,
*roll*
you now have aphasia...
*roll*
Specifically, finger aphasia. You can no longer recognize your own fingers, other people's fingers, or even drawings of fingers.
"... Shit."

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71755 on: March 11, 2015, 08:57:09 pm »

Specifically, finger aphasia. You can no longer recognize your own fingers, other people's fingers, or even drawings of fingers.
"... Shit."

That reminds me of something that can't recognize fingers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71756 on: March 11, 2015, 08:57:44 pm »

What it basically means is that you'd need to roll two attack rolls for every attack you make, one to see if you land a hit, and another to see if the hit does damage.

So, for example, instead of AC 20, you would have DAC 5 and AAC 15. Any attack that roll higher than AAC but lower than AAC+DAC would count as hitting the armor.

I've already accounted for that issue. You only need a single attack roll, it's just that there's more granularity in the list of possible results. Granted, there are bound to be some edge cases where the system would start to behave weirdly, but it's better that what we have now.
I don't really see how that's better, unless you want to start modeling armor damage. Both systems would output the same result, unless you're going to complicate things further with different damage types getting partial armor penetration, shock damage, &c., which again is needlessly tedious for a roleplaying game. As he said, what you're asking for is the sort of thing that would fit right in to a wargame. RPGs aren't about perfectly simulating every aspect of combat, they're about creating a good enough combat system such that it has versimilitude, so that it can be worked into the story they're building.

Again, you're trying to create a mechanic to make up for lazy roleplaying. If an attack was just below the target's AC, rather than saying "You miss," when they're attacking a slow, armored target, give a brief description of them denting the armor, or their blade skittering off scarcely an inch from a vulnerable joint. If you get to the point where people stop caring about the descriptions and just want to get on with it, the mechanic becomes redundant as well but can't simply be dropped for convenience.
I still think that game mechanics should support roleplaying directly without hand-waving things.

The system as it is cannot actually support the "strong guy misses the quick one" literature archetype and in fact, punishes people for doing it. And you're not hand-waving that one. It's a problem which is really apparent when you try to make a character around the idea of dodging big dudes instead of tanking their super-strong blows with armor.
._.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #71757 on: March 11, 2015, 08:58:27 pm »

"... Shit."
I desperately want to play this game.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71758 on: March 11, 2015, 09:00:33 pm »

"... Shit."
I desperately want to play this game.
I think I do too.
... How would 'Chunky Salsa' sound as a name? Good?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71759 on: March 11, 2015, 09:02:18 pm »

You have dexterity bonus limits for heavier armour. So yes, a quick fighter can be harder to hit than a heavily armoured fighter. Full plate makes you very hard to injure because that's what it was meant to do and did[/].

Armour Class is more abstract- its the difficulty of an effective blow rather than hitting.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 4782 4783 [4784] 4785 4786 ... 10973