Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4783 4784 [4785] 4786 4787 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13001493 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #71760 on: March 11, 2015, 09:04:31 pm »

There's an optional rule where half of your armour's AC gets converted into DR instead. You'd be easier to hit, but harder to actually damage.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #71761 on: March 11, 2015, 09:09:42 pm »

Decided to check out the Raocow forums. I don't think I have ever seen a community that hostile outside of tumblr, 4chan, or Reddit. I was not expecting that at all.
Raocow has a forum?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71762 on: March 11, 2015, 09:10:10 pm »

You have dexterity bonus limits for heavier armour. So yes, a quick fighter can be harder to hit than a heavily armoured fighter. Full plate makes you very hard to injure because that's what it was meant to do and did[/].

Armour Class is more abstract- its the difficulty of an effective blow rather than hitting.
The thing is, that system breaks for super-naturally strong opponents, like giants, who should with their strength score realistically be casually able to smash through steel plate.

Against them, armor should be not very effective - and it is. But dodging them is even less effective - and that's the part that doesn't make sense. They're big and not very dexterous, yet dodging is less effective than tanking with a full plate (which would, again, realistically be smashed through by a creature with Str 35).
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71763 on: March 11, 2015, 09:14:32 pm »

The thing is, that system breaks for super-naturally strong opponents, like giants, who should with their strength score realistically be casually able to smash through steel plate.

They still do. Most giants tend to have such high strength that it is pretty hard for them to miss.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #71764 on: March 11, 2015, 09:16:06 pm »

Decided to check out the Raocow forums. I don't think I have ever seen a community that hostile outside of tumblr, 4chan, or Reddit. I was not expecting that at all.
Raocow has a forum?
http://talkhaus.raocow.com/viewforum.php?f=3

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71765 on: March 11, 2015, 09:17:16 pm »

I don't think that that being so strong that you can swing your weapons super fast that you can hit quick guys and such isn't really. That against tropes. Not to mention that, for the most part, Strength is normally a relatively modest bonus compared to your base attack bonus/magical enhancements, except in cases where the player has so much strength (barbarian, war hulk, ect) that they have sorta gone past the basic combat tropes and into super human tropes. Where strength making up for speed is a thing.

Edit: And no. Things don't always make the most sense. But I don't think that's a bad thing. I don't think it's a bad thing that sometimes, the barbarian can take less damage nude then he would if he was wearing armor. Tanking everything with his manly chest hair. It's not realistic, but it's cool. So is a human blocking a giants tree swing with his shield, or even tanking it to the chest plate.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 09:22:55 pm by Criptfeind »

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71766 on: March 11, 2015, 09:29:15 pm »

Mobius strips.

I'm doing a comic assignment in Art class, and my teacher told us to be creative with the panel layout. He mentioned how some people did a circle of panels, so their comic didn't have a beginning or end, so I decided that it would be super cool to do a comic on a Mobius strip.

Now, while I'm planning it, ow. After some experimentation, I kinda get how it works, and I figured out how to orient the panels so that they'll work and be right-side up all the time, but... just, what? In what world does this geometry make any sense?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71767 on: March 11, 2015, 09:31:40 pm »

I don't think that that being so strong that you can swing your weapons super fast that you can hit quick guys and such isn't really. That against tropes. Not to mention that, for the most part, Strength is normally a relatively modest bonus compared to your base attack bonus/magical enhancements, except in cases where the player has so much strength (barbarian, war hulk, ect) that they have sorta gone past the basic combat tropes and into super human tropes. Where strength making up for speed is a thing.
But if Strength means "how fast you swing your weapon", then why every other speed factor is governed by Dexterity?

And strength making up for speed is not that common. I know of Hulk who's like that, but it's usually the other way around - speed makes up for strength, a la Flash.

Mobius strips.

I'm doing a comic assignment in Art class, and my teacher told us to be creative with the panel layout. He mentioned how some people did a circle of panels, so their comic didn't have a beginning or end, so I decided that it would be super cool to do a comic on a Mobius strip.

Now, while I'm planning it, ow. After some experimentation, I kinda get how it works, and I figured out how to orient the panels so that they'll work and be right-side up all the time, but... just, what? In what world does this geometry make any sense?
In our own world, of course. Duh.
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71768 on: March 11, 2015, 09:35:07 pm »

why every other speed factor is governed by Dexterity?

This is only the case for Dexterity bonus to armor.

Climb speed? Strength
Swim Speed? Strength

Movement speed? Inherent (slowed down by armor because it restricts your movements)

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71769 on: March 11, 2015, 09:37:30 pm »

Mobius strips.

What kind of insane, eldritch world do we live in?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71770 on: March 11, 2015, 09:39:53 pm »

But if Strength means "how fast you swing your weapon", then why every other speed factor is governed by Dexterity?

They are not? Dexterity governs initiative. But that's sorta it. Speed is race/item/class feature based, and more closely related to strength because of carrying capacity then it is to dex. (Although generally not really related to ether.)

I guess like, skills. Strength tells your speed when you are Swiming Climbing and Jumping. Dex tells your speed for when you are sneaking. Although all of these are also more based on your base speed. (Jump being the more notable outlier in that it's more dependent on stats then base speed Although once again, in most cases except when you have truly super human stats, your skill is going to matter more)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 09:44:55 pm by Criptfeind »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71771 on: March 11, 2015, 09:44:45 pm »

The dragon bites you roll for damage.
"But it didn't roll to hit!"
You are entangled.
"I have gauntlets!"
*sigh* fine *rolls* *another sigh* The dragon bites down on your torso but your leather gauntlets somehow prevents both the dragon's teeth from puncturing your flesh or the jaw's massive crushing force that ripped the palisade gate from the wall only moments before from doing you any harm.  Next turn. Roll for initiative...

(P.S. I don't recall the specific rules for to hit against opponents under entangle, don't judge me I wanted to find a fittingly silly sounding example.)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 09:46:18 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #71772 on: March 11, 2015, 09:45:09 pm »

Also, I speak from experience (try moving a 6' long x 3" thick bronze bar around a few times) that raw strength is much more important for fine manipulation of heavy objects (such as, for example, D&D's arsenal of comically oversized weapons) than anything that can be called "dexterity".
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71773 on: March 11, 2015, 09:46:26 pm »

Dex would be for things like rapiers, mang.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #71774 on: March 11, 2015, 09:51:17 pm »

Mobius strips.

What kind of insane, eldritch world do we live in?

Minkowski space
Pages: 1 ... 4783 4784 [4785] 4786 4787 ... 10974