Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4810 4811 [4812] 4813 4814 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13185328 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #72165 on: March 16, 2015, 06:52:26 pm »

So I looked at the Red Pill on reddit as part of research for a roleplaying game I have since abandoned. It was about pick-up artist wizards, if you're curious.

Now I want to run a roleplaying game where the villains are men's rights wizards.
The wizard adjusted his fedora as he chanted his spell.

"M'teor Swarm!"
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72166 on: March 16, 2015, 06:55:18 pm »

Why is obesity and related behavior (overeating, choosing unhealthful food, eating more than your metabolism needs/can handle) something which is perfectly normal and out of an individual's hands while nicotine addiction, drug use from mild and largely non-addictive stuff to hard drugs, alcohol consumption, &c. are terrible things that make people evil by association?
I don't hate people who have addictions. I know plenty of smokers and ex-smokers. I know alcoholics (My stepmother is one) and former (and current) meth-heads. I don't villainize them, but I recognize that their addictions are bad and encourage them to seek help. Just like with any eating disorder. Some people don't have eating disorders, they just can't lose weight. Some people develop eating disorders like anorexia or bulimia because the desire to be thin is so ingrained by our society and they've tried every other way to get thinner. Eating disorders are bad. People with eating disorders don't have to be.

So I looked at the Red Pill on reddit as part of research for a roleplaying game I have since abandoned. It was about pick-up artist wizards, if you're curious.

Now I want to run a roleplaying game where the villains are men's rights wizards.
The wizard adjusted his fedora as he chanted his spell.

"M'teor Swarm!"
He then proceeded to throw mountains of anime/MLP body pillows at his opponent.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #72167 on: March 16, 2015, 07:41:25 pm »

My brother found out that an average adult requires 2000 calories. An average burger meal has 2000 calories. Now you know why people are fat.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #72168 on: March 16, 2015, 07:44:56 pm »

An average burger meal has 2000 calories.
The fuck are you getting your burgers? Seriously, I want to go there. Even McDonald's is lower-cal than that. ~500 calories to the Big Mac, ~380 to the medium order of french fries, ~300 for a medium soda, you're still a good ways short. I mean, it's still pretty unhealthy, but damn. I wanna visit this 2000 calorie average place.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #72169 on: March 16, 2015, 07:45:41 pm »

brb hoarding dried burgers in my apocalypse bunker.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72170 on: March 16, 2015, 07:49:19 pm »

The fuck are you getting your burgers? Seriously, I want to go there. Even McDonald's is lower-cal than that. ~500 calories to the Big Mac, ~380 to the medium order of french fries, ~300 for a medium soda, you're still a good ways short. I mean, it's still pretty unhealthy, but damn. I wanna visit this 2000 calorie average place.
Where I work at Hardee's, I think our Monster Burger has something akin to that insane calorie amount.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #72171 on: March 16, 2015, 07:50:38 pm »

He said meal. So I'm assuming fries and soda are included. You know, pure starch and sugar water.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #72172 on: March 16, 2015, 07:51:32 pm »

Why is obesity and related behavior (overeating, choosing unhealthful food, eating more than your metabolism needs/can handle) something which is perfectly normal and out of an individual's hands while nicotine addiction, drug use from mild and largely non-addictive stuff to hard drugs, alcohol consumption, &c. are terrible things that make people evil by association?
I don't hate people who have addictions. I know plenty of smokers and ex-smokers. I know alcoholics (My stepmother is one) and former (and current) meth-heads. I don't villainize them, but I recognize that their addictions are bad and encourage them to seek help. Just like with any eating disorder. Some people don't have eating disorders, they just can't lose weight. Some people develop eating disorders like anorexia or bulimia because the desire to be thin is so ingrained by our society and they've tried every other way to get thinner. Eating disorders are bad. People with eating disorders don't have to be.

There's a really beautiful false dichotomy here, though. Why are the only options self-inflicted Evil and moral-obligation Good? I prefer to approach all those drugs you mention as bad shit happening to people, akin to diseases, and obesity the same way. So the gaining community (to the extent that it exists and isn't just Poe's Law rearing its ambiguous head again) can be compared to measles partiers, except those are fictional, so we'll have to find some other group that's just as stupid. But you've gone pretty hard to the opposite absurd extreme there, Flying Dice.

To clarify: I don't particularly care about the vices that people choose to pursue, as long as they aren't substantially impacting the lives of others. I don't give two shits that my roommate smokes as long as he doesn't hotbox our room. I don't care if one of my friends drinks too damn much, because he's a happy drunk and doesn't try to drive. Stuff like that. But it's a pretty common societal attitude which worked as a jumping off point for the comparison; consider how smokers are being treated in the U.S., for example.

That said, neither do I think that it's a good idea to encourage people to falsely present unhealthy lifestyle choices as healthy. I also have an issue with the fact that it's rooted in self-deception; if you want to pretend that behavior that's killing you isn't, that's your deal. Don't try to spread it around and deceive others. It's also not particularly healthy (in a different sense) to try to absolve people of responsibility for their decisions. If I decide to start smoking crack cocaine, that's my fault. If I decide to start polishing off a fifth of whiskey every day, that's my fault. If I eat fast food for two of every three meals, that's my fault. It doesn't make me a bad person, but I shouldn't be allowed to tell people, "Oh, no, being addicted to hard drugs and being a functioning alcoholic is a perfectly fine way to live that won't negatively affect your life!"

Because seriously? Absolving people of all responsibility for their actions is even less useful than victim-blaming on the other end of the spectrum. Your comparison to disease is completely off-base, except in cases where people intentionally avoid vaccinating themselves and volunteer as medical aid workers during pandemics while not wearing protective clothing. The only people who could conceivably have these issues are people who gain them as children because of bad guardianship. Incidentally, that is the single biggest issue I have with the stuff I've outlined above. American children aren't magically becoming unhealthily obese out of nowhere, and they're a massive victim group directly resulting from this chronic absolution of responsibility and labeling of everything as uncontrollable addictions.

At least it'll solve the problem with Social Security in fifty or so years, assuming the system lasts long enough to benefit from a large chunk of multiple generations dying before they can collect. :|

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #72173 on: March 16, 2015, 07:53:50 pm »

He said meal. So I'm assuming fries and soda are included. You know, pure starch and sugar water.
Yo majik! :P
I think you should...get the context of that meal there. It can't really be assessed how far and how big it is, if there's...lacking context other than 'generic burger meal'.

Because American food is generally at larger quantities (or so my limited observation notes ._.) compared to Filipino food.
That, and where are you getting that from! o_o

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72174 on: March 16, 2015, 07:54:40 pm »

1180 to a burger meal, since you didn't do the math here, Majik.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #72175 on: March 16, 2015, 07:55:20 pm »

I'm not sure where he got it from and I'm not sure if it is the exact amount he said. I probably remember it wrong.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72176 on: March 16, 2015, 08:05:05 pm »

Why is it that whenever something needs a reboot, a sort of fresh new attempt... they don't reboot it they just keep adding convoluted ways to reset everything back to square one just to undo it later.

While whenever something desperately doesn't need a reboot... They keep giving it reboots and make each one dumber than the last to modernize it?

---

Also PLEASE find me a parody of modernization xD

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72177 on: March 16, 2015, 08:06:50 pm »

The Michael Bay Mutant Ninja Turtles sounds like it could probably be a good parody, if a unintended one.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72178 on: March 16, 2015, 08:08:37 pm »

Why is it that whenever something needs a reboot, a sort of fresh new attempt... they don't reboot it they just keep adding convoluted ways to reset everything back to square one just to undo it later.

While whenever something desperately doesn't need a reboot... They keep giving it reboots and make each one dumber than the last to modernize it?

---

Also PLEASE find me a parody of modernization xD
SHHHHHH!!!!!

Don't give the "______ Movie" people any more ideas.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #72179 on: March 16, 2015, 08:12:28 pm »

To clarify: I don't particularly care about the vices that people choose to pursue, as long as they aren't substantially impacting the lives of others. I don't give two shits that my roommate smokes as long as he doesn't hotbox our room. I don't care if one of my friends drinks too damn much, because he's a happy drunk and doesn't try to drive. Stuff like that. But it's a pretty common societal attitude which worked as a jumping off point for the comparison; consider how smokers are being treated in the U.S., for example.

That said, neither do I think that it's a good idea to encourage people to falsely present unhealthy lifestyle choices as healthy. I also have an issue with the fact that it's rooted in self-deception; if you want to pretend that behavior that's killing you isn't, that's your deal. Don't try to spread it around and deceive others. It's also not particularly healthy (in a different sense) to try to absolve people of responsibility for their decisions. If I decide to start smoking crack cocaine, that's my fault. If I decide to start polishing off a fifth of whiskey every day, that's my fault. If I eat fast food for two of every three meals, that's my fault. It doesn't make me a bad person, but I shouldn't be allowed to tell people, "Oh, no, being addicted to hard drugs and being a functioning alcoholic is a perfectly fine way to live that won't negatively affect your life!"

Because seriously? Absolving people of all responsibility for their actions is even less useful than victim-blaming on the other end of the spectrum. Your comparison to disease is completely off-base, except in cases where people intentionally avoid vaccinating themselves and volunteer as medical aid workers during pandemics while not wearing protective clothing. The only people who could conceivably have these issues are people who gain them as children because of bad guardianship. Incidentally, that is the single biggest issue I have with the stuff I've outlined above. American children aren't magically becoming unhealthily obese out of nowhere, and they're a massive victim group directly resulting from this chronic absolution of responsibility and labeling of everything as uncontrollable addictions.

At least it'll solve the problem with Social Security in fifty or so years, assuming the system lasts long enough to benefit from a large chunk of multiple generations dying before they can collect. :|

Okay, so basically, I think smokers get more shit than they deserve, obesity is obviously unhealthy, and advising people to destroy their bodies for no adequately explained reason is generally a Bad Thing. You'll notice that the example group I used was one doing exactly what you said would make it an apt comparison, and that's because society in general treats wanting to be fat as having the same degree of sanity as wanting to have measles instead of vaccines. And, in general, most people are not fat because they want to be.

Basically, we're getting awfully angry at something that I don't think anybody around here has actually defended - can we chill?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 4810 4811 [4812] 4813 4814 ... 10983