Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5438 5439 [5440] 5441 5442 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12999385 times)

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #81585 on: July 25, 2015, 01:32:10 am »

Also, raising kids would be an absolute nightmare.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81586 on: July 25, 2015, 01:32:56 am »

already is, don't see what you're getting at

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #81587 on: July 25, 2015, 01:33:41 am »

I'm not even sure we'd qualify as people as we know them. I mean, human thought has its basis, in large part, in storytelling, at least so far as I can tell. Lying is such a natural outgrowth of that that I really have a hard time wrapping my head around a sort of psychology that would preclude the possibility. We probably wouldn't have fiction, for starters.

I might be misinterpreting your question for the sake of philosophical babbling, though. There's always that possibility.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #81588 on: July 25, 2015, 01:44:40 am »

I think if telling falsehoods is impossible human society would be so different that it would have effected our evolution.  We'd probably be very apathetic because, as Flying Dice was implying, without lies people would offend each other A LOT.

If you mean malicious lies, yeah, things might be better.  But when you start making malicious behavior impossible then you have to start asking questions like "if people can't hurt each other don't we just kill all the animals and then die of overpopulation because nothing can stop us?"
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #81589 on: July 25, 2015, 01:55:47 am »

Bauglir raises a good point as well, too. Apart from the concepts of fiction and storytelling, it more broadly applies to imaginative thoughts of all sorts, which could be parsed as the mind's ability to lie to itself so convincingly that it believes in things without direct sensory evidence. History wouldn't be a thing, science would be more difficult, all of the softer academic fields in fact would be all but gone. Hell, object permanence might not exist.

I mean, yes, that's stretching the concept of self-deception rather far, but even without it humans with the inability to lie would be... inhuman, in many respects.

That, and either we'd have a monstrously high suicide rate or a large population of people genetically predisposed to take criticism well and a much greater degree of mental flexibility; humans as they are tend to become set in their ways quite literally, which among other things is why a lot of people in their middle or late years still behave in more or less the same ways as they did in high school. It takes a pretty drastic event to shift an adult's outlook and behavior to any significant degree.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81590 on: July 25, 2015, 05:46:43 am »

I still think the hilarious thing is, I'm not even that much into touhou anymore. I primarily like it since I'm very attracted to a not insignificant portion of the cast at this point.
I thought that was why most of the touhou fandom liked it.

:P
Cast?  I'm there for those sexy danmaku patterns.  So beautiful, so tsundere.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #81591 on: July 25, 2015, 05:50:46 am »

I'm gonna fuck that bullet.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81592 on: July 25, 2015, 08:40:28 am »

I am noticing a lot of murder mysteries that involve secretly giving everyone the antidote to a poison except the murder victim.

Yet... I need someone a bit more knowledgeable on this subject... but I am under the impression that antidotes tend not to be so... "magic bullet".

Or rather, drinking a deadly poison even with the antidote wouldn't go unnoticed... usually... and even the antidote can be rather harsh on the system.

Am I thinking straight or are deadly poisons and their antidotes really that good?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81593 on: July 25, 2015, 08:47:50 am »

I am noticing a lot of murder mysteries that involve secretly giving everyone the antidote to a poison except the murder victim.

Yet... I need someone a bit more knowledgeable on this subject... but I am under the impression that antidotes tend not to be so... "magic bullet".

Or rather, drinking a deadly poison even with the antidote wouldn't go unnoticed... usually... and even the antidote can be rather harsh on the system.

Am I thinking straight or are deadly poisons and their antidotes really that good?

Most of the time they should spend more than a bit of time puking, sweating or pooing out both the poison and it's antidote. A lot of antidotes work by bonding with the poison on a molecular level, but trace elements of each that haven't been neutralized should still make you ill even if they aren't strong enough to kill you, and the compound made by the antidote/poison fusing is also often unpleasant.

Also, antidotes tend to be very unpleasant to administer and difficult to acquire in the first place. A lot of poisons don't even have antidotes, they just need to be treated with fluids, induced vomiting and so on.

Some types of clay make good poison treatments from what I recall, they absorb poisons from the digestive tract and then pass harmlessly through the gut. I think charcoal is meant to do the same. If the poison is something like snake venom then an anti-venom is generally hard to make work, they tend to need variable amounts to treat different people. Obviously feeding people a tablet of clay is difficult to do with any subtlety.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #81594 on: July 25, 2015, 08:56:35 am »

Lying has developed so heavily in humans that just lying at a young age is a typical sign of proper brain development. Then again, lying can take on a multitude of different fashions from white lies, malicious lies, fiction, etc. The idea to think against our situation is an asset that makes us human.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81595 on: July 25, 2015, 09:05:49 am »

Lying has developed so heavily in humans that just lying at a young age is a typical sign of proper brain development. Then again, lying can take on a multitude of different fashions from white lies, malicious lies, fiction, etc. The idea to think against our situation is an asset that makes us human.

Our intelligence is very finely lain with our social ability so to speak. The ability to understand, grasp, and communicate complex ideas is what makes us so intelligent.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81596 on: July 25, 2015, 09:08:05 am »

Fuck, it is ridiculously windy tonight. Also Yoink is derp, but that's a story for another time.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81597 on: July 25, 2015, 09:12:28 am »

Maybe a lack of intentional lying could be possible...  But people often state untruths with absolute conviction.  People even misremember specific events all the time.  So people would still be skeptical.

It'd be weird, though.  Privacy either would be non-existent, or people would blanket-refuse personal questions.  Fiction might exist, but using a different verb tense.  It'd be hard not to discover the *concept* of lying, so I assume it's just massively taboo and against our hypothetical programming.

Fuck, it is ridiculously windy tonight. Also Yoink is derp, but that's a story for another time.
But I thought I was derp
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81598 on: July 25, 2015, 09:15:25 am »

What is this human instinct of being unwell?

It is the second time in a short period I felt this.

I was just in a mall and suddenly I felt faint, I checked my hands to make sure I wasn't going pale, and felt like I knew I was very unwell.

I later lied down on the floor for a bit...

I thought I was better... but it came back today at about 9... the same light headedness, chills, nausea, and feeling like I was going pale in spite not doing so.

---

I just kind of find it interesting because... the human body/mind seems to be built in with that simple instinct that is kind of beyond just an assessment of issues.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 09:21:08 am by Neonivek »

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #81599 on: July 25, 2015, 09:22:12 am »

Our intelligence is very finely lain with our social ability so to speak. The ability to understand, grasp, and communicate complex ideas is what makes us so intelligent.
I'm...
Just gonna let that one go, actually, that's gonna open up a whole can of psychological science that I really can't be bothered to get into, though I will say that our intelligence and speaking capabilities are apparently different things entirely, someone can be functionally retarded (Verbatim: "I hate..., My mum works over at the, over on the ward and she said 'not another bank statement.' I said 'It's the second one in two days.' And she said 'Do you want me to go to the bank for you at lunchtime?' And I went 'No, I'll go this time and explain it myself'."
That was from Steven Pinker's book called the language Instinct, good read, though hard to slog through like most scientific books, the person speaking up there cannot read or write, doesn't even have a Bank Account, and even though she later speaks about her boyfriend sharing a joint account with her she doesn't have a boyfriend, another man was handicapped in speech, but all his other mental faculties when reviewed were actually in the high average range, again, verbatim: [And have you been going home on weekends?] "Why, yes... Thursday... er, er, er, no, er, Friday... Bar-ba-ra... Wife... and, oh, car... Drive... Purnpike... You know... Rest... And teevee."
His writing was just as bad, and while he could understand and answer a question like 'Does a stone float on water?' He couldn't with questions that required grammatical analysis like 'The Lion was killed by the Tiger: Which one is dead?')
Oh goddammit I wrote all this and I'm probably agreeing with you, too, I just misunderstood your sentence.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."
Pages: 1 ... 5438 5439 [5440] 5441 5442 ... 10974