Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5458 5459 [5460] 5461 5462 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13149897 times)

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #81885 on: July 27, 2015, 08:11:21 pm »

WTF guys. Stop this. This is no place for that talk.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81886 on: July 27, 2015, 08:12:58 pm »

WTF guys. Stop this. This is no place for that talk.
I see no problem so long as everyone maintains their relaxed states. which is what I've seen so far.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #81887 on: July 27, 2015, 08:13:39 pm »

Dare you enter my magical realm

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #81888 on: July 27, 2015, 08:16:58 pm »

You know, this was a bit ridiculous argument to get into, sorry. Extremely hard to talk about since there's a lot of blurry lines and "What-if" scenarios. I guess I would judge someone for being an all-around-terrible person even if that was part of their innate character (though I'm not sure that's something that actually exists.)
I'd just hate myself for doing so.

What I'm mostly talking about is something beyond an individual's control with the assumption they're otherwise good people. A pedophile who fully understands their attractions would probably be more disgusted with themselves than someone else could ever be, anyway.

I was trying to say that people shouldn't be discriminated against because of something clearly beyond their control, but I guess I screwed up at some point.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81889 on: July 27, 2015, 08:18:57 pm »

Hmm. But what is within someone's control?
[/armchair philosophy]
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #81890 on: July 27, 2015, 08:20:04 pm »

Draw me a map of it and I'll get back to you.
:)

I was trying to say that people shouldn't be discriminated against because of something clearly beyond their control, but I guess I screwed up at some point.
So the question is for Dwarfy: Is them habitually resisting their impulses worth more than their disgusting innate desire? I'd say yes.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #81891 on: July 27, 2015, 08:26:49 pm »

Draw me a map of it and I'll get back to you.
:)

So the question is for Dwarfy: Is them habitually resisting their impulses worth more than their disgusting innate desire? I'd say yes.

Worth more? Not necessarily. It goes a long way to redeeming them, but I could never see them as being on the same moral ground as someone who had never had such thoughts.

I'm certain that you, like just about every other human being on the planet, have thought about doing something horrible. Does that mean that people are fair to hate you for that thought?
Not hate me - certainly to judge me.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 08:28:24 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81892 on: July 27, 2015, 08:34:30 pm »

Wow I feel so much better now.
Ironically some frat-looking guys in a pickup screamed and laughed at me on my way back, trying to get me to drop my burrito.
Twice actually, they had to make a U turn apparently ???
I didn't drop it though, so I won :)

Maybe one reason I don't like masculinity is that I lived in a frat house for a year and a half.  I wasn't in college... it's a long story.  Not the best place to be discovering one's homosexuality though...  Lots of alcohol, gay chicken, and homophobia.

I hope those guys in the pickup work out their social anxieties though!

Just sayin', but if we hit that level of transhumanist tech where there was no difference after surgery from a natural-born body, I'd probably change my sex and drastically alter my appearance at least annually (assuming it wasn't prohibitively expensive) just for a change of pace. Biological immortality would be pretty sweet too, natch.
Same, that would be a blast.

By the definition you've given, you're probably neither asexual nor aromantic, just socially awkward. Convincing yourself that nookie doesn't have to be a primary motivation for how you live is actually fairly easy, and IMO it's not an unhealthy way to live at some stages of life as long as you're still getting whatever level of social interaction and physical contact you need to be happy.
I'm actually fine in social situations (though I'm bad with names).  I think I just freak out over my body, when it comes up.  Which is pretty bizarre because I used to get asked out, and had a few steady relationships, and nobody's really called me ugly ever.  Rationally I'm sure I look pretty good, when I'm taking care of myself.

Maybe I'm like Cinder, and it doesn't matter what everyone else sees.  The self-loathing is real.  I just can't stand seeing the people I was intimate with, too ashamed.  It was pretty great but just no.

I've been going hiking a lot recently though, and changed my diet a little.  Back down to 175.  I dunno if I'll fix my self-image but I might as well be healthy in reality at least!  And endorphins do feel about as good as alcohol.  Sunburn not so good, but it's mostly settled into tan now which will help.

I blame the left-butts winged viking feminists.

Rolan7: That's probably gray aromantic. I know, that sounds very Tumblr but I like that term. It's the middle between romantic and aromantic, which if you're a robot thinking in boolean logic then that would still be romantic, but I really find that things aren't that simple or even static. I for one knows it's hard to feel romantic attraction to someone after being hurt.
They took our jerbs!
Also, thanks.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #81893 on: July 27, 2015, 08:34:56 pm »

And therein lies the problem, Dwarfy. People tend to act based on their perception of others; if they judge people as being scum/worthless/disgusting/whatever, they're going to shun or in many cases hurt them. That's bad enough when it's based on what the people they're judging have done, but you're literally advocating for the existence of thought-crime. You can't separate "it's right to judge people for their thoughts" from "it's right to harm people for their thoughts" in practical terms because a lot of people don't differentiate between the two.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #81894 on: July 27, 2015, 08:37:57 pm »

Oh, but I am not talking in practical terms. I am going to judge a person for his bad innate characteristics and thought, but I firmly believe in him being innocent until he commits a crime :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81895 on: July 27, 2015, 08:42:37 pm »

Someone is looking at your kid with covetous eyes, and you won't judge them, despite them not acting on it?

I think nature can be judged. That the paedophile does not act on his nature is good, and is the result of a more beneficial part of his nature which gives him credit. That he desires it in the first place loses him credit.

I mean, who wouldn't judge me for wanting to kill my mother, even if I restrain myself and only think about it constantly, but never act on it?

Very well, let's say nature can be judged[More discussion on that below]. What standards do we judge it by? I would define someone's nature as bad when its fulfillment would cause harm to another or themselves. Pedophilia is inherently bad because its fulfillment generally involves inflicting lasting trauma and/or bodily harm on others. Any trait, disorder or nature whose fulfillment does not cause harm to themselves or others is inoffensive and morally irrelevant.

On judging someone by their nature:

I am defining nature is defined as follows: An intrinsic set of predispositions towards a certain type of behaviour.

First of all, there are different LEVELS of consideration:

1:There is thinking about violence in passing. I do that every time someone bumps into me in the hallway. The knee-jerk reaction to that, for me, is burning rage.

2:There is considering hypothetical violence. I have occasionally done this towards certain individuals I particularly abhor.

3:There is serious consideration of violence. This is where I begin to judge people. Having violent urges is one thing. Acting on them is another. But between those places there is yet another thing. If the only reason you didn't hurt someone is because it would inconvenience you if you did, here we have a problem. It is not as wrong as actually doing it, because it is possible that you would nonetheless have checked yourself, but it is more wrong then merely WANTING to do violence with the knowledge that you would never let yourself carry through with it.

4:There is actual violence. This is fairly obviously wrong. I will include attempted violence in this category, as there is no difference in intent between successfully violencing someone and failing to violence someone because of outside interference.

The main point of laws and such is to separate the third group from the fourth group. Those people might not be GOOD people for not killing because it would get them in trouble, but they are nonetheless functioning members of society and should be treated as such.

FAKEEDIT: I think everyone's actually on the same page here, mostly. Th4DwArfY1 is arguing on the hypothetical moral level and FD is arguing on the practical/realistic/whatever level. I don't think I'm disagreeing with either of them, really.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81896 on: July 27, 2015, 08:46:02 pm »

I like how we've basically evolved a transhumanism+morality discussamation from butts.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #81897 on: July 27, 2015, 08:51:28 pm »

its like something wondrous grew from butts and butts alone

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

were butts just eggs all along

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #81898 on: July 27, 2015, 08:54:36 pm »

No, but butts do release the eggs.

But then, there are butts in the eggs, too. Or a lot of them.

So who the fuck knows?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81899 on: July 27, 2015, 09:07:51 pm »

But what came first, the butt or the egg?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 5458 5459 [5460] 5461 5462 ... 10980