Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5464 5465 [5466] 5467 5468 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13180900 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #81975 on: July 28, 2015, 01:26:10 am »

I dunno, use and worth are kind of inherently pointless.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81976 on: July 28, 2015, 01:28:20 am »

However, this is where it gets strange, I would argue against possibility. And free will. Due to how I understand particle physics. Other people are allowed to think I am wrong, since I believe (notice I didn't say "choose to believe") that belief in free will is necessary for most people. I'm not going to say it's necessary to maintain their sanity, I'm perfectly sane despite a stressful job and a learning disability (though I like to say that the disability makes me "certified mildly insane", it's legally not true and I'm sane), and I don't believe in free will, but I believe that the people who do believe in it believe in it because the particles that they are made of are going to move in the patterns and have moved in the patterns that will make them believe in free will.

I do not believe in possibility, but I do believe in free will. Basically, if you give a strict vegetarian two dishes, one which is steak and one which is salad, which one will they eat? While the vegetarian TECHNICALLY has the choice between the two, they will always choose the salad. People have free will with which to make choices, but they will always choose one choice above all others because of who they are plus a few outside factours, both of which will always be the same.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #81977 on: July 28, 2015, 01:29:12 am »

His argument was basically that because he didn't hurt anyone while he was driving drunk, that he should not have gotten a ticket, and that the law makes no sense. Which I guess makes sense if you have a completely nihilistic view of the world? If there weren't any kind of free will, we wouldn't need laws anyways, since life would be inherently pointless. You can't really argue against that kind of view, I guess.
No, see, the laws are an expression of the "no free will" I'm talking about. Everything will be as it will be thanks to Newton's First, including the chemical processes that go on to defy those laws and complain that they are pointless. The laws are a necessity to enable those chemicals to perform that process to complain about those laws in the first place. I know that I will strive to gain the things that I desire thanks to these per-destined processes, even if I know it's predestined and not free will. I also know that I will do everything I can to follow laws, even if the chemicals that compose my body will go on in the future to cause me to break laws. I argue that laws are created as a part of "no free will", and necessary and also broken in that same process. I DON'T believe that one should give up and say life is inherently pointless, but I do believe that if they do believe that, it's because of the lack of free will again. What will be will be, but I won't let that stop me from doing what I want; it's just that whether I succeed or fail, and also what I want to do, is predestined.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81978 on: July 28, 2015, 01:44:36 am »

Go to sleep during a weird discussion about gender and sex which doesn't get nuked and everyone is content sharing their opinion on.
Wake up 4 pages later.

That's 50 posts per 2 hours.
Dang.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #81979 on: July 28, 2015, 01:46:42 am »

Also, real WTF to share.
Not sure who shared the site, but I think it was on this thread (may have been things that make you laugh, though).
Anyways, this specific story on this site:
http://notalwaysright.com/no-rush-go-break-a-leg/43688
Does not compute. What specific brand of stupidity would not conclude that this was an emergency?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81980 on: July 28, 2015, 01:47:20 am »

Go to sleep during a weird discussion about gender and sex which doesn't get nuked and everyone is content sharing their opinion on.
Wake up 4 pages later.

Dang.

It is almost like we can have sensitive conversations without flaming eachother unless some jerk can't handle it and intentionally sabotages the conversation in order to get it moderated :P

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81981 on: July 28, 2015, 01:49:58 am »

"I must sabotage the jerks!"
No Tack, you are the jerks.
Then Tack was a motorcycle.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81982 on: July 28, 2015, 01:51:19 am »

"I must sabotage the jerks!"
No Tack, you are jerks.
Then Tack was motorcycle.

Fixed : 3

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #81983 on: July 28, 2015, 02:01:11 am »

Wake up 4 pages later.

Dang.

It is almost like we can have sensitive conversations without flaming eachother unless some jerk can't handle it and intentionally sabotages the conversation in order to get it moderated :P
I actually got really depressed and considered suicide due to the conversation but I didn't want to be a "jerk" because clearly reporting things to Toady is bad.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81984 on: July 28, 2015, 02:03:07 am »

We can't all walk on eggshells Cinder...

And it was more that the person couldn't communicate their ideas in a very thoughtful manner.

And no the jerks I was referring to (and no it isn't you Tack) is often if a conversation is going in a way people dislike, someone will jump in and try to escalate, derail, or flame it in order to make it reportable.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81985 on: July 28, 2015, 02:12:17 am »

Does that mean we should wear leather and ride Tack?

Actual WTF: Some woman handed in a handbag to the driver of the bus I was on earlier, claiming that someone had forgotten it on the bus. A while later the bus switched drivers, and after some deliberation the previous driver took the lost bag with him.

None of that was particularly notable, but then when we finally reached the airport (both my destination and that of the bus) there was a commotion up the back, people speaking agitatedly in a thick accent I couldn't understand from where I sat. Eventually I hear someone relate the story of the handbag being given to the driver, and so this obese woman (she was foreign, no idea where from though) charges down the front of the bus in a panic, searching about frantically whilst screeching "My beg! Someone's stolen my beg!"
The poor driver explained that the previous driver had taken it, but she didn't seem to understand and continued stomping around the bus looking for it.
Fortunately I got off the bus at that point and didn't have to listen to her grating voice any longer. I don't envy the driver having to try and calm her down. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #81986 on: July 28, 2015, 02:16:04 am »

If she pronounced bag as beg, she's clearly Australian.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81987 on: July 28, 2015, 02:28:00 am »

We can't all walk on eggshells Cinder...

And it was more that the person couldn't communicate their ideas in a very thoughtful manner.

And no the jerks I was referring to (and no it isn't you Tack) is often if a conversation is going in a way people dislike, someone will jump in and try to escalate, derail, or flame it in order to make it reportable.

We... Also don't have to be so blunt about things and can take other people's feeling into matter, Neo.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81988 on: July 28, 2015, 02:33:55 am »

Unrelated: Parents who fail to keep their children under control in a busy public space should have their children seized and incinerated.
#Yoinkforpresident2016
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #81989 on: July 28, 2015, 02:37:32 am »

That'd be a waste of resource, though. What about dwarven daycare?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 5464 5465 [5466] 5467 5468 ... 10983