Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5479 5480 [5481] 5482 5483 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13214527 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #82200 on: July 30, 2015, 03:11:48 pm »

They should upgrade the ritual to watching all creepy/mindfuck movies and series about a single room. Cause there's a lot of them now.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82201 on: July 30, 2015, 03:46:58 pm »

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/07/30/427727355/obama-orders-development-of-supercomputer-to-rival-chinas-milky-way

"The executive order, issued by Obama on Wednesday, would set up a body known as the National Strategic Computing Initiative (NSCI) to research and build what is hoped to become the first machine to hit 1 exaflop, equivalent to 1,000 petaflops."

that's a lot of flops. looks like its the computer race this time instead of the space race.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #82202 on: July 30, 2015, 03:51:46 pm »

Everybody do the flop!

* Cinder flops
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #82203 on: July 30, 2015, 03:52:22 pm »

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/07/30/427727355/obama-orders-development-of-supercomputer-to-rival-chinas-milky-way

"The executive order, issued by Obama on Wednesday, would set up a body known as the National Strategic Computing Initiative (NSCI) to research and build what is hoped to become the first machine to hit 1 exaflop, equivalent to 1,000 petaflops."

that's a lot of flops. looks like its the computer race this time instead of the space race.
Apparently a flops = FLoating point Operations Per Second. So an exaflop would be 1000 petaflops which is 1000 teraflops which is 1000 gigaflops, and etc etc. That's a shit ton of flopping.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #82204 on: July 30, 2015, 03:57:19 pm »

Apparently a flops = FLoating point Operations Per Second. So an exaflop would be 1000 petaflops which is 1000 teraflops which is 1000 gigaflops, and etc etc. That's a shit ton of flopping.
For comparison, a Intel Core i7 980 XE 6 core processor (one of the most powerful chips you can buy) is 109 gigaflops - the goal is thus a computer 10,000,000x as powerful. Given the amount of number crunching needed for so many modern scientific projects, having the title of "most powerful supercomputer" is a pretty important advantage to a country.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #82205 on: July 30, 2015, 03:59:52 pm »

For comparison, a Intel Core i7 980 XE 6 core processor (one of the most powerful chips you can buy) is 109 gigaflops - the goal is thus a computer 10,000,000x as powerful. Given the amount of number crunching needed for so many modern scientific projects, having the title of "most powerful supercomputer" is a pretty important advantage to a country.
Clearly developing a supercomputer of such speed will be the first step towards the coming of super-intelligent AI and the singularity.  It's only a matter of years now. :P
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #82206 on: July 30, 2015, 04:01:12 pm »

After a certain amount of processing power, "World's fastest computer" starts to seem like "World's tallest building."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82207 on: July 30, 2015, 04:07:24 pm »

They should upgrade the ritual to watching all creepy/mindfuck movies and series about a single room. Cause there's a lot of them now.

I don't think 'The room' is even about a room.
It's been voted worst movie of all time though.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82208 on: July 30, 2015, 04:08:45 pm »

So we had an earthquake here the other day, which is in itself really fucking weird. The side of my room/my bed started rattling like crazy, and I just put it down to issues with the plumbing in the house I'm staying and ignored it 'til it stopped. It wasn't until later that I learned it was an earthquake.

Anyway, just now we had what I assume was an aftershock. It was at the same time of day and everything... except this time I was still asleep.
The shaking merged with the awful nightmare I was already having, I wound up thrashing around in fear and I may have even yelled out/screamed as I woke up. I hope not. :-[

That was even worse than the vivid dream I had earlier about being strangled. WTF indeed.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #82209 on: July 30, 2015, 04:16:14 pm »

Clearly developing a supercomputer of such speed will be the first step towards the coming of super-intelligent AI and the singularity.  It's only a matter of years now. :P
I think in order to actually make use of all those calculations, they'd need some place to store the data generated by the number-crunching. Which means that's going to be one big-ass hard drive, too. Is Obama planning on borrowing the Superman Crystal? His computer would be fast enough to actually get data in and out of it at a meaningful speed...
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #82210 on: July 30, 2015, 04:37:36 pm »

After a certain amount of processing power, "World's fastest computer" starts to seem like "World's tallest building."

Hardly - look at the computing power needed for the LHC, and that's just ONE of the super-science programs going on right now. Sure, you can use distributed computing for a lot of it, but a single machine is both more secure and in some cases more efficient.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #82211 on: July 30, 2015, 05:37:36 pm »

It's possible to get arbitrarily "fast" processing by smooshing together an arbitrarily large number of bog-standard processors.
Inb4 some dumbass CEO decides that's the way to go and everybody laughs at him for being a dumbass.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82212 on: July 30, 2015, 05:41:10 pm »

isn't that what people just... do

i sure hope you're not the kind of guy that thinks they actually design and build one single processor chugging along at gorillionflops/s and the rest of the computer is just its cooling system or something

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #82213 on: July 30, 2015, 05:45:04 pm »

To be fair, it would be amazing for playing DF.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82214 on: July 30, 2015, 05:48:11 pm »

Pretty sure DF can't use more than two processors, and one of them can only handle the "display".
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 5479 5480 [5481] 5482 5483 ... 10984