Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5562 5563 [5564] 5565 5566 ... 9864

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 5985358 times)

Naxza

• Bay Watcher
  • Wanderer of Broken Worlds
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #83445 on: August 25, 2015, 06:23:40 pm »

They probably know Kafka on the shore, maybe he's a mystery further inland. Dry's a pretty good way to put him, actually. I kept expecting something insightful out of Metamorphosis, but nnnnnnope. Dude's just a beetle now.

Anywho, Adobe Premiere Pro is going full derp with one of my video files and has no idea where or what audio is supposed to go along with the video. Media players get it fine, Windows Movie Maker knows what's up, but Adobe? Nah! I have to rip the music off the movie so I can edit that alongside it instead of it being parsed with the video.

Also, my landlady dropped my rent by twenty five bucks per month because I don't impose much on the house. I feel weird about that.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONSUMES_VERMIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83446 on: August 25, 2015, 06:25:39 pm »

Grah stupid clever European people knowing languages well enough to read literature in them grnhar.

@Nax Perhaps this is the insight? That it's not much fun to be a beetle, so don't become one.
I'm not around much anymore. I'll still check PMs though.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83447 on: August 25, 2015, 06:27:39 pm »

@NJW: Are you implying that you don't know any languages well enough to read literature in? Most people know at least one. Most could probably kind of struggle along with two, with the help of a dictionary.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83448 on: August 25, 2015, 06:29:31 pm »

They probably know Kafka on the shore, maybe he's a mystery further inland. Dry's a pretty good way to put him, actually. I kept expecting something insightful out of Metamorphosis, but nnnnnnope. Dude's just a beetle now.
Come on, that was a metaphor for his estrangement from his family! His otherness just physically manifested in him becoming a beetle, and the bad things that occur afterwards would have happened in a similar manner even if the transformation had not taken place. The whole point is that his family would have been better off without him even when he was still supporting them.

Do you know his story The Great Wall of China?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONSUMES_VERMIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83449 on: August 25, 2015, 06:34:00 pm »

Well, I haven't got out of secondary school yet, but could read french very slowly with a dictionary and grammar textbook.

Most of my non-bilingual classmates are similar, but I'm jealous of people who can read in two languages, as I really want to, unlike most of my peers. :(

@Helgo/Nax: as far as I could tell (from his entire published work, which isn't most of it), all his stories have a metaphor for him/a writer. The beetle is both the estrangement and the growth of new traits within Kafka that make him feel confused/displaced and useless: his writing.
I'm not around much anymore. I'll still check PMs though.

Naxza

• Bay Watcher
  • Wanderer of Broken Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #83450 on: August 25, 2015, 06:46:08 pm »

Huh, I see. I got that his family's general condition improved when he passed, but that it was reflective of his own stance as a writer is something I wouldn't have known. Additionally, it's a rather loathesome way to argue that his family would've been better without him, having apparently done nothing of his own accord to cause such ruin upon them even under his proper condition. He was a traveling businessman, no? He wouldn't even be home often enough to be a burden (though this would explain the estrangement), let alone binding the rest of the family to that location and that misery which they were so close to during his transformation.

Existentially speaking, it's weak, but if he's projecting as an author, I can see where he's coming from. Having come off Camus just before him, I felt like I didn't have something to chew on after reading it. Perhaps I put too much stock in how chewy historical authors should be.

I can't say I've read Great Wall of China, no.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 06:47:48 pm by Naxza »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83451 on: August 25, 2015, 07:58:10 pm »

Crossposting from the happy thread.

Sounds like that story could end up being like that one poem that involved girls and goblin merchent men. Apparently the author was very religious and didn't intend it, but how could you write this without realising,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't even know anymore.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • How much would you wager on a die roll?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83452 on: August 25, 2015, 09:18:42 pm »

Combing other people's hair is surprisingly calming.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #83453 on: August 25, 2015, 09:22:20 pm »

The number of people I've talked to today that think the "Karate Kid: Daniel is the real villain" video is both accurate and non-parodic is insane. All of them have seen the movie.
My new 3.5 D&D campaign. Now Recruiting!
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rubidium

• Bay Watcher
  • Rubidium has RETURNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #83454 on: August 25, 2015, 09:24:42 pm »

The number of people I've talked to today that think the "Karate Kid: Daniel is the real villain" video is both accurate and non-parodic is insane. All of them have seen the movie.
Well thank goodness I didn't watch the movie.
Rubidium has RETURNED!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83455 on: August 25, 2015, 09:38:00 pm »

Crossposting from the happy thread.

Sounds like that story could end up being like that one poem that involved girls and goblin merchent men. Apparently the author was very religious and didn't intend it, but how could you write this without realising,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't even know anymore.

I read that once.  Didn't catch it.  Wellp, now I'll have to stave off laughter should it come up this school year...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83456 on: August 25, 2015, 10:38:04 pm »

Looking through books, online fan resources, and official online resources to look up info on a vague ruling for monsters as cohorts in Pathfinder.

"You can use the monsters on the following table as guidelines when determining effective cohort levels for monsters not on this list." I can't make heads or tails of it by myself. Gib Equations.

How is effective cohort level calculated? Is it based off of HD, or CR, or some other things entirely? The creatures on the table don't seem consistent enough for me to figure it out using Challenge Rating or Hit Dice.

Gib Equations.
I take great solace in your flammability.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Celebrating one decade of existential crisis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83457 on: August 25, 2015, 10:39:35 pm »

It looks like Im up for another round of 'my co-worker whose major is dancing is probably trying to engage in courtship'.

Major is Daaanciiing.
Physiologically, that's a win. If only that was all that mattered.

Also I should probably read Kafka.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Bay 12 Blood Bowl I apparently host now.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #83458 on: August 25, 2015, 11:19:52 pm »

... crusader of centy has the most strangely chill music for the inside of an apparently active volcano. Outside's fairly active, inside's basically weirdly smooth smooth jazz. It's vaguely offputting...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83459 on: August 26, 2015, 02:40:17 am »

I can't say I've read Great Wall of China, no.
Do eeet! It's not that long, and certainly one of his best ones.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 5562 5563 [5564] 5565 5566 ... 9864