Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5600 5601 [5602] 5603 5604 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12998274 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #84015 on: August 25, 2015, 06:09:24 pm »

My current romantic interest contacted me, two and a half after telling me she wanted to fix things with her boyfriend and that I should regard this as a clean break. Two and a half weeks after flying back home to another country to get some time and space to think.

She told me she finds Kafka hard to read.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84016 on: August 25, 2015, 06:14:21 pm »

If only you had known, you could've left her earlier. Kafka's clinically dry and official tone is half the charm, and if anything makes him more accessible!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #84017 on: August 25, 2015, 06:16:14 pm »

... so is that some kind of strange european innuendo that doesn't translate well, or...?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84018 on: August 25, 2015, 06:17:55 pm »

do they not know kafka across the ocean

that's borderline uncivilized

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #84019 on: August 25, 2015, 06:20:16 pm »

No, we know of kafka. I'm just not sure if europe knows kafka, you know, biblically or somethin'. Given the context, it could go either way.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84020 on: August 25, 2015, 06:22:46 pm »

I really want to make an innuendo here. But given the subject, that's a bad idea.
One wheel short of a wagon

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84021 on: August 25, 2015, 06:23:00 pm »

If only you had known, you could've left her earlier. Kafka's clinically dry and official tone is half the charm, and if anything makes him more accessible!
She's at ~2 pages per day, while I'm at ~1 page per day on Galeano's Libro de los abrazos, which has much less text per page... Then again she's lived in Germany for three years and attended a German school in Spain, while I have only my three mediocre years of school Spanish to rely on :D

She does like his writing, though. And she likes Brecht - she's the perfect woman, really. Now if only this whole thing would finally work out...

do they not know kafka across the ocean

that's uncivilized
FTFY. Kafka, Kafka oberhalb von allem, oberhalb von allem in der Welt! Vom Pazifik bis zum Pazifik, von NZ bis zum arktischen Schelf!

Edit: I like that use of the word 'biblically'. I truly do.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84022 on: August 25, 2015, 06:25:39 pm »

Grah stupid clever European people knowing languages well enough to read literature in them grnhar.

@Nax Perhaps this is the insight? That it's not much fun to be a beetle, so don't become one.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84023 on: August 25, 2015, 06:27:39 pm »

@NJW: Are you implying that you don't know any languages well enough to read literature in? Most people know at least one. Most could probably kind of struggle along with two, with the help of a dictionary.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84024 on: August 25, 2015, 06:29:31 pm »

They probably know Kafka on the shore, maybe he's a mystery further inland. Dry's a pretty good way to put him, actually. I kept expecting something insightful out of Metamorphosis, but nnnnnnope. Dude's just a beetle now.
Come on, that was a metaphor for his estrangement from his family! His otherness just physically manifested in him becoming a beetle, and the bad things that occur afterwards would have happened in a similar manner even if the transformation had not taken place. The whole point is that his family would have been better off without him even when he was still supporting them.

Do you know his story The Great Wall of China?
The Bay12 postcard club

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84025 on: August 25, 2015, 06:34:00 pm »

Well, I haven't got out of secondary school yet, but could read french very slowly with a dictionary and grammar textbook.

Most of my non-bilingual classmates are similar, but I'm jealous of people who can read in two languages, as I really want to, unlike most of my peers. :(

@Helgo/Nax: as far as I could tell (from his entire published work, which isn't most of it), all his stories have a metaphor for him/a writer. The beetle is both the estrangement and the growth of new traits within Kafka that make him feel confused/displaced and useless: his writing.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84026 on: August 25, 2015, 07:58:10 pm »

Crossposting from the happy thread.

Sounds like that story could end up being like that one poem that involved girls and goblin merchent men. Apparently the author was very religious and didn't intend it, but how could you write this without realising,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't even know anymore.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84027 on: August 25, 2015, 09:18:42 pm »

Combing other people's hair is surprisingly calming.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #84028 on: August 25, 2015, 09:22:20 pm »

The number of people I've talked to today that think the "Karate Kid: Daniel is the real villain" video is both accurate and non-parodic is insane. All of them have seen the movie.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rubidium

• Bay Watcher
  • Rubidium has RETURNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #84029 on: August 25, 2015, 09:24:42 pm »

The number of people I've talked to today that think the "Karate Kid: Daniel is the real villain" video is both accurate and non-parodic is insane. All of them have seen the movie.
Well thank goodness I didn't watch the movie.
Rubidium has RETURNED!
Pages: 1 ... 5600 5601 [5602] 5603 5604 ... 10973