Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5612 5613 [5614] 5615 5616 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13143114 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #84195 on: August 29, 2015, 04:01:54 pm »

Yeah, the only thing that'll really kill you is rent, given how high prices are being jacked these days. If you can bus/bike to work (especially if you can get a university/city ID and ride for free) you save on gas, and you can easily keep yourself alive and reasonably healthy on ~$15 a week for food, and that if you're buying fresh fruit and vegetables.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #84196 on: August 29, 2015, 04:11:17 pm »

and you can easily keep yourself alive and reasonably healthy on ~$15 a week for food, and that if you're buying fresh fruit and vegetables.
I question this assertion, but its possible I've never been desperate enough to test the limits of "reasonably healthy".
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #84197 on: August 29, 2015, 04:21:18 pm »

Depends a fair bit on where you are*, but most of the places I've lived ~$2 USD/day is pretty doable, and indeed able to manage fairly healthy. I didn't, due to some dietary issues, but still. Not particularly enjoyable, and bumping it up to $3-4/day (or ~100 USD/month, in other words) makes things a lot more comfortable, but it's pretty viable if the local prices aren't too jacked up. Multivitamin or whathaveyou probably wouldn't hurt, either, but those are frankly pretty cheap.

*From what I've seen, food price wise you can expect a larger urban area to cost around 150%** more than smaller ones or rural areas, ferex. Which is still well under 500/month, but that's obviously only a fraction of living costs. Not too sure about regional or national variances, for what that's worth.

E:**Well, the places that aren't ripping you off, anyway. And providing you avoid the pointlessly marked up name brand junk, o'course. The usual stuff.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 04:27:38 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #84198 on: August 29, 2015, 04:43:49 pm »

Yeah, it's stretching things a bit thin, but $2 a day will keep you alive and $4 a day will be relatively enjoyable.

Here's what I do:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And as Frumple said, buy a big jar of multivitamins and take those, they'll help cover for things you miss.

FWIW I typically spend ~$60-70/mo. on food, and that's with me indulging my taste for pretzels and Mexican coke.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 04:49:38 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #84199 on: August 29, 2015, 05:31:27 pm »

I see. Food prices are higher here (lousy farmers), rent is sodding insane (lousy earthquakes/investors), and travel costs are also high (lousy taxes).
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #84200 on: August 29, 2015, 06:28:27 pm »

It's a bit past 1 AM here, I just walked home from a gig/movie/hangout type of deal. My building is flanked on two sides by police stations (one would be city one the other the equivalent of a county one I guess). As I was walking past one of them I saw a cop casually walking in front of it with an AK-47/74 in one hand, just swinging it about as he walks.

I have no idea what was going on and am glad that I'm home.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84201 on: August 29, 2015, 07:55:37 pm »

Progressive's (an insurance company) latest ad which is all about 'action flo' with action figures and whatever. I was like 'the heck O.o ? "

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84202 on: August 29, 2015, 07:57:23 pm »

Progressive's (an insurance company) latest ad which is all about 'action flo' with action figures and whatever. I was like 'the heck O.o ? "
Did you see the sepia-tone one with the milk chugging?
Also WTF.
But yours WTFs more than that.
Haven't yet encountered it, strangely enough.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #84203 on: August 29, 2015, 09:15:13 pm »

College applications AAAAAAAAAAALLTHEESSAYQUESTIONSARESTUPIDAAAAAAAA!!!
but seriously how in the fuck do they expect people to write 250 words about what their favorite word is and why

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84204 on: August 29, 2015, 09:18:33 pm »

but seriously how in the fuck do they expect people to write 250 words about what their favorite word is and why
'Least you just have to write essays, I have to figure out where to apply and that is a Big Problem as I have waaaay too many colleges asking me to apply.  Seriously.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #84205 on: August 29, 2015, 09:32:16 pm »

I didn't even need to turn in any essays to be accepted to colleges. Good thing too, because they're stupid topics.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #84206 on: August 29, 2015, 11:59:57 pm »

'Least you just have to write essays, I have to figure out where to apply and that is a Big Problem as I have waaaay too many colleges asking me to apply.  Seriously.
First things first, figure out what you want to do -- are you planning on going into a graduate program, or into the workforce? Figure out what Master's/career you want to end up in, then talk with people and research what would be a good undergraduate base for that. Once you've figured out what Bachelor's you want to pursue, search for universities where the relevant department is strong and well-regarded -- one key tell can be a large number of senior professors in the department for the former.

Lots of places will try to get your money. Lots of those will be shitty places with subpar programs or worse. Take, for example, my home state of Kentucky: UK and U of L are the most widely known public schools, but both have some problems. Western and Murray are both solid state schools that are slightly less well-known but still solid. There are a crowd of overpriced private schools. And then there's Kentucky State University.

Wherever you live will probably have similar statistics available. In addition to program stats, check out retention and graduation rates: if they're low, it's probably for good reason.

3. Run Resize Enable

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84207 on: August 30, 2015, 12:00:42 am »

At least you don't have to write about what some word means to you. At least with getting to choose you own word you can pick something awesome.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84208 on: August 30, 2015, 12:09:37 am »

First things first, figure out what you want to do -- are you planning on going into a graduate program, or into the workforce? Figure out what Master's/career you want to end up in, then talk with people and research what would be a good undergraduate base for that. Once you've figured out what Bachelor's you want to pursue, search for universities where the relevant department is strong and well-regarded -- one key tell can be a large number of senior professors in the department for the former.

Lots of places will try to get your money. Lots of those will be shitty places with subpar programs or worse. Take, for example, my home state of Kentucky: UK and U of L are the most widely known public schools, but both have some problems. Western and Murray are both solid state schools that are slightly less well-known but still solid. There are a crowd of overpriced private schools. And then there's Kentucky State University.

Wherever you live will probably have similar statistics available. In addition to program stats, check out retention and graduation rates: if they're low, it's probably for good reason.
Thank you!
Sigtext

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84209 on: August 30, 2015, 12:58:08 am »

Say your favourite word is "Irrelevant" because of its many real-life applications regarding people who assign meaning to silly things.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 5612 5613 [5614] 5615 5616 ... 10980