Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5621 5622 [5623] 5624 5625 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13004318 times)

Ddynamo

• Bay Watcher
  • The difference between something and whatever.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #84330 on: September 01, 2015, 04:49:44 am »

My school has the worst computer security possibly ever. We used to be able to create our own passwords for our student accounts, and that worked fine. However, now the school is saying that our student passwords weren't 'secure' enough, so they gave us shiny new mandatory passwords who have the same system for every student. Want to know what the new 'secure' passwords are? It's your first and last initial followed by the year you were born, information that pretty much everyone in the school knows about everyone else. So not only did they give us one of the least secure passwords they could, they pretty much told us everyone's else's password too.

The best part is? According to student policy, anything anyone does under your account is your fault, whether or not it was you who was on your account. That's right, they gave everyone the password to other people's accounts, and if someone were to use an account that didn't belong to them to do something illegal, the account owner would get in trouble, not the person who actually did it.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84331 on: September 01, 2015, 05:33:25 am »

My school has the worst computer security possibly ever. We used to be able to create our own passwords for our student accounts, and that worked fine. However, now the school is saying that our student passwords weren't 'secure' enough, so they gave us shiny new mandatory passwords who have the same system for every student. Want to know what the new 'secure' passwords are? It's your first and last initial followed by the year you were born, information that pretty much everyone in the school knows about everyone else. So not only did they give us one of the least secure passwords they could, they pretty much told us everyone's else's password too.

The best part is? According to student policy, anything anyone does under your account is your fault, whether or not it was you who was on your account. That's right, they gave everyone the password to other people's accounts, and if someone were to use an account that didn't belong to them to do something illegal, the account owner would get in trouble, not the person who actually did it.
That is... not even something where you would have to make effort to find out what someone's password is. If you are in the same grade, you have two options for what the password would be. If you know when someone's birthday is, that is one option.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #84332 on: September 01, 2015, 05:35:47 am »

Because shrinking the range of possible passwords from "basically infinite" to "exactly one possibility per student" makes passwords MORE secure.

This is an example of why we need computer education from a young age in the school system, and also an example of the reason that such a thing will not happen for a long, long time.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #84333 on: September 01, 2015, 05:41:06 am »

Wait, can't you now access the principal's account? You ought to not do anything malicious with it, but you could definitely use it to prove a point on how insecure the system is.

Or did they decide that only students should have absolutely zero IT security?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Ddynamo

• Bay Watcher
  • The difference between something and whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84334 on: September 01, 2015, 05:47:10 am »

Wait, can't you now access the principal's account? You ought to not do anything malicious with it, but you could definitely use it to prove a point on how insecure the system is.

Or did they decide that only students should have absolutely zero IT security?

I don't know if the same rule applies to faculty members.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #84335 on: September 01, 2015, 05:56:33 am »

Only one way to find out.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84336 on: September 01, 2015, 06:09:44 am »

It's your first and last initial followed by the year you were born, information that pretty much everyone in the school knows about everyone else.
That sounds more like what you'd make the username than the password 0_o
Does your school not have any IT or Comp Sci staff around?

This is an example of why we need computer education from a young age in the school system, and also an example of the reason that such a thing will not happen for a long, long time.
But this was done by the school administration, not by the students.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #84337 on: September 01, 2015, 06:13:03 am »

It's your first and last initial followed by the year you were born, information that pretty much everyone in the school knows about everyone else.
That sounds more like what you'd make the username than the password 0_o
Does your school not have any IT or Comp Sci staff around?

But this was done by the school administration, not by the students.

Exactly. They removed computer and web design classes at my school.
((That was my pathway dang it!))

Only goes to show that they don't know what there doing!
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #84338 on: September 01, 2015, 06:19:57 am »

I agree. Sneak into the Principal's office and ransack it with a fire-axe.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #84339 on: September 01, 2015, 07:44:51 am »

Make sure to walk calmly whilst carrying your fireaxe, and never swing into your legs.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #84340 on: September 01, 2015, 08:27:54 am »

Make sure to walk calmly whilst carrying your fireaxe, and never swing into your legs.
Carry it over one shoulder, and make sure you're dressed in a flannel shirt. Bonus points if you grow a beard for the occasion.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #84341 on: September 01, 2015, 08:50:18 am »

At first I read that as Mormons. That would have been a more entertaining story.  :P
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #84342 on: September 01, 2015, 09:34:58 am »

Also in regards to an earlier part of the thread, I can't wait until in 2020 the Chinese Premier starts giving a speech about ending illegal gold mining in the Kongo and he is interrupted by the fateful screaming of the President of the United States: "I'MMA LET YOU FINISH"

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84343 on: September 01, 2015, 09:36:26 am »

...LAWSUIT!!!!!
Also this is me right now.  Again.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 12:19:53 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #84344 on: September 01, 2015, 01:54:26 pm »

So I finally thought I fixed my adaptive brightness issue. It wasn't changing the brightness on me anymore, and I could finally work and browse in peace...

Except it came back. It started doing it again, and I looked under AMD Catalyst and sure enough, there was yet another adaptive brightness feature. This one was called Vari-Bright, underneath the Power options. For those keeping score at home, that's four tickboxes to turn off adaptive brightness.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 5621 5622 [5623] 5624 5625 ... 10974