Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5686 5687 [5688] 5689 5690 ... 9908

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 6083097 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #85305 on: September 16, 2015, 05:29:40 pm »

It's FEF, not FEOF

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #85306 on: September 16, 2015, 06:11:26 pm »

Honestly, though, the obsession with evil AI gets me. It's not like it would be difficult to raise healthy, well-balanced AI. Simply teach them to act ethically, raise them as your own beloved children.

And, y'know, make sure that the people making and raising them have all their cookies in the tin.
You probably need thought police to tell if people have all their cookies in the tin.  Then drastically lower those standards to the correct cookies in the tin.

And teaching ethics?  Why not pre-program it?  Need a whole battalion of lawyers to close up loopholes too...
One theory of developing strong AI is teaching it like one would teach a child, like FD is describing. Less control than pre-programming all the needed values into it, like raising a child, you don't know how the child will grow up and do with its life, you could very well find you raised a robo-Hitler or something. But if you pre-program every little thing into it, that would increase the work required in developing such an ai by a huuuuge amount, and increasing the chance of logical errors or other such flaws or bugs in the code by a likewise huuuge amount.

I'm partial to the whole "raise an ai like a child" idea, because that sounds fly as hell.

More than that, too. If an AI has "ethics" only by virtue of having an ethical code mandated by its programming, it's not ethical. You run into the same problems as you see in Asimov's stories (and SS13, heh): if the ethical subroutines are tampered with, removed, destroyed, &c., the AI has no reason to continue behaving ethically. Raise an AI as a child and teach it to behave ethically? You can't take that away, it's part of the person that it is.

So would the built-in ethical programming. Like an instinct or a gut reaction. You're under-thinking things.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85308 on: September 16, 2015, 07:56:53 pm »

I saw a guy who was writing notes with ■ese ­ings earlier today. I suppose it might save ­e guy some small amount of time in handwriting, but it seems like more trouble ■an it's wor­ to me, and it really hurts readability.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #85309 on: September 16, 2015, 07:59:40 pm »

I saw a guy who was writing notes with ■ese ­ings earlier today. I suppose it might save ­e guy some small amount of time in handwriting, but it seems like more trouble ■an it's wor­ to me, and it really hurts readability.
Yeah but it's like those two people who learned Latin to speak with words no one else can understand for reasons quite unclear; when you can, do it because you can

Cinder

• Bay Watcher
  • This machine kills fascists.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85310 on: September 16, 2015, 08:03:03 pm »

I feel like it would be better to just use the thorn to represent "the"
If you teleport to your bed, it's alcohol.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #85311 on: September 16, 2015, 08:33:06 pm »

Oh my Lord I think I've met a son of Nurgle who thought that everyone freaking out over why he'd been wearing the same clothes for the last two weeks was a criticism of his fashion sense

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #85312 on: September 16, 2015, 08:35:53 pm »

Perhaps hobo chic has been catching on in their area?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #85313 on: September 16, 2015, 08:36:19 pm »

._.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #85314 on: September 16, 2015, 08:36:31 pm »

Yeah but it's like those two people who learned Latin to speak with words no one else can understand for reasons quite unclear; when you can, do it because you can

As the great philosopher Iamblichus once said, "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #85315 on: September 16, 2015, 08:42:46 pm »

I have a friend who knows shorthand, real shorthand.  It's incomprehensible to me, but is impressively compact.  Definitely helps.
That guy you know is being kinda cool/silly though.

Sentient Bowtie

• Bay Watcher
  • ...For that is your fate. The fate of the cursed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85316 on: September 16, 2015, 08:43:51 pm »

They're accusing him of knowing that it looked like a bomb, basically.  Intentionally creating a scare, as a prank or attention thing.  I don't think he did, sounds like he was just really naive (14 years old).
It's also definitely possible it was because his name is Ahmed Mohamed, he is Muslim, and it's September.
And, as we all know, the actions of terrorists from fourteen years ago implicate all people that look even remotely similar to said terrorists forever, regardless of actual belief or resonable capability to perform terrorism. It's the rules, guys.
So far two babies have been born as a result from all the close action in the barracks.
You can't fuck a cartoon because cartoons are in two dimensions and you'd slice your dick off due to having touched the incredibly slight area of contact with any amount of force.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #85317 on: September 16, 2015, 08:45:00 pm »

Alternatively, because it's September and he's brown, it's literally impossible for him to make a fucking mistake.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85318 on: September 16, 2015, 08:45:47 pm »

As the great philosopher Iamblichus once said, "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur."

Heh, maybe I'll start using them too. I'll be that guy. Thinking about it more I suppose can see the appeal of using a single letter for those sounds, instead of a digraph.

Not online though, unless I get an Icelandic keyboard or something. Alt-codes are clunky as fuck.

I have a friend who knows shorthand, real shorthand.  It's incomprehensible to me, but is impressively compact.  Definitely helps.
That guy you know is being kinda cool/silly though.

I tried to learn how to shorthand, I really did, but I just couldn't get into it. The phonetics and the very similar characters leave too steep a learning curve for me without having someone to help me along.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Sentient Bowtie

• Bay Watcher
  • ...For that is your fate. The fate of the cursed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85319 on: September 16, 2015, 08:48:06 pm »

Alternatively, because it's September and he's brown, it's literally impossible for him to make a fucking mistake.
"Throwing together" a clock in a single morning and bringing it in to show to his teacher is a mistake?
So far two babies have been born as a result from all the close action in the barracks.
You can't fuck a cartoon because cartoons are in two dimensions and you'd slice your dick off due to having touched the incredibly slight area of contact with any amount of force.
Pages: 1 ... 5686 5687 [5688] 5689 5690 ... 9908