Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5687 5688 [5689] 5690 5691 ... 9905

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 6074498 times)

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #85320 on: September 16, 2015, 08:48:13 pm »

Alternatively, because it's September and he's brown, it's literally impossible for him to make a fucking mistake.

I don't know. Me and my brown friends have been shot some pretty nasty looks. where u at ???

They're accusing him of knowing that it looked like a bomb, basically.  Intentionally creating a scare, as a prank or attention thing.  I don't think he did, sounds like he was just really naive (14 years old).
It's also definitely possible it was because his name is Ahmed Mohamed, he is Muslim, and it's September.
And, as we all know, the actions of terrorists from fourteen years ago implicate all people that look even remotely similar to said terrorists forever, regardless of actual belief or resonable capability to perform terrorism. It's the rules, guys.

I think I mentioned something about Middle Easterners and Youtube-tier facial hair before.

Anyway, this kind of local discrimination really goes against the notion of "freedom" America tries to push. It's like watching your principal say that your school doesn't have a drug problem while seeing a guy walking out of a bathroom puffing smoke out of his nose. It's not endorsed, but it still happens and still sets a bad image as much as we pretend that we're trying to fix it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #85321 on: September 16, 2015, 08:57:54 pm »

Alternatively, because it's September and he's brown, it's literally impossible for him to make a fucking mistake.
"Throwing together" a clock in a single morning and bringing it in to show to his teacher is a mistake?
Yes.  If I had brought a beeping briefcase with a bunch of wires and a clock display to my high school, I would have gotten in a mess of trouble... Like my friend, who did something not even close to that level.
Of course I was in high school DURING 9/11 and Columbine, so maybe that's not fair.  Still, it was pretty naive of the kid...  And that's taking him at his word.
And I still don't think he's lying.  It's just possible.  It's not unheard of for high schoolers to do stupid things and desperately try to backpedal.  I should know!

The whole thing is an unfortunate mess, it's just fucked up to blame one side because the kid is muslim.  He's a *person*.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #85322 on: September 16, 2015, 09:02:51 pm »

Kid is a person, but irving, texas is also pretty well known for being full of bigoted jackasses, to the point I've seen other texans go, "Oh no, not this shit again" when this particular incident is discussed.

And yeah, I've seen kids get in trouble for similar stuff, but "in trouble" is significantly different from "handcuffed, arrested, and threatened with criminal charges".
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #85323 on: September 16, 2015, 09:04:11 pm »

Oh, actually yeah.  I still think the police went too far with all that.  Could be racism there, sure.

Sentient Bowtie

• Bay Watcher
  • ...For that is your fate. The fate of the cursed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85324 on: September 16, 2015, 09:06:02 pm »

The undeniable truth of the situation is that there's some bias on the side of the school and police because he's Muslim. There is no debate. I mean, if a 13-year-old can build a nuclear fusion reactor, why shouldn't this kid be able to build a clock?

"Hey, sure, build a nuclear reactor in our gymnasium! No problem. Here's 3 grand to do it."
"A clock, huh? I see a lot of wires and a digital display. Are you sure it's not a bomb? ... Really. Alright. ... No, I won't be checking the inside. It might explode, because it's a bomb. I'll just call the police instead."

And this exchange isn't racism as well.
So far two babies have been born as a result from all the close action in the barracks.
You can't fuck a cartoon because cartoons are in two dimensions and you'd slice your dick off due to having touched the incredibly slight area of contact with any amount of force.

Cinder

• Bay Watcher
  • This machine kills fascists.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85325 on: September 16, 2015, 09:08:31 pm »

Why would any sane Muslims even live in Texas in the first place is beyond me.
If you teleport to your bed, it's alcohol.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #85326 on: September 16, 2015, 09:19:17 pm »

Perhaps hobo chic has been catching on in their area?
Hobos in my area at worst smell of urine, alcohol and despair, this guy smells like the horserider of pestilence

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #85327 on: September 16, 2015, 09:21:58 pm »

"Here's a grant to build a thing, we are fully aware of what you're doing and probably doing a ton of oversight" is incredibly different from "Since you asked, I'll take the beeping hand-wired briefcase out of my backpack - it's a humongous clock.  Really!"
Teacher was totally justified.  Police, not so much.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #85328 on: September 16, 2015, 09:24:29 pm »

I remember a time where if someone left a bag unattended you could take it home and it'd be full of goodies not explosions

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #85329 on: September 16, 2015, 09:26:05 pm »

I remember a time where they'd have both. Good ol' fireworks, cherry bombs, etc., right in there with the nickel store candy.

E: Was it a good time? No. To hell with that time. The internet didn't even have pictures. Broadband didn't exist. That time can rot, and it can take its happy explosions and its penny candy and its leaded gasoline with it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:32:54 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sentient Bowtie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85330 on: September 16, 2015, 09:41:11 pm »

Since when is a pencil case with a holographic tiger on it a briefcase...?
How would you even fit that in a backpack? ...Actually, that's irrelevant.
So far two babies have been born as a result from all the close action in the barracks.
You can't fuck a cartoon because cartoons are in two dimensions and you'd slice your dick off due to having touched the incredibly slight area of contact with any amount of force.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85331 on: September 16, 2015, 09:42:38 pm »

WTF again. my friend STILL has terrible luck with computers.  Just recently he fowled up a graphics card install and I had to go over there and fixed it.   After that he had trouble with a windows 10 install.

Now he's tripped over a pc headset cord and seems to have completely destroyed his mic in and audio out ports on his computer. The cord on his headset also broke completely(it's in two parts) so that is obviously dead as a doornail as well. And his computer no longer makes sound on the speakers.

I fixed the speakers by just disconnecting the front audio jacks from the motherboard.  But what the fuck man I just fixed yer last problem a week ago, and fixed yer graphics card two weeks before that.  It's like he's computer kryptonite.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:45:30 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #85332 on: September 16, 2015, 09:50:55 pm »

I have a tendency to trip over cables like that too.  Not that great, in my line of work.  I once dealt with my laptop having the upper-right fifth or so of the screen completely garbled, with rad spidery cracks going across the rest... For at least a whole semester.  I got used to it, I was... tight with money, then.  And I used the keyboard enough that moving windows to the lower-left wasn't that bad.  I also broke my Q key but alt-113 worked fine.  With numlock, which I had to use anyway to play Angband and such.

A couple of people at the math department computer lab where I worked complimented my kickass screensaver (:
Huh, I never considered it at all shameful.  Kinda the opposite, I took pride in the thriftiness.  In retrospect I guess most people probably thought less of me for it.  It sure bothered my dad.
If so, fuck all those people.

Sentient Bowtie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85333 on: September 16, 2015, 09:58:43 pm »

Screensaver?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #85334 on: September 16, 2015, 10:01:06 pm »

They thought it was one of those dynamic screensavers that drew all over your screen.
It was the early oughts, it was still a (dying) thing.

Edit:
Okay, so a screensaver is...
:P
Pages: 1 ... 5687 5688 [5689] 5690 5691 ... 9905