Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5674 5675 [5676] 5677 5678 ... 10979

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13133839 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #85125 on: September 09, 2015, 05:08:53 pm »

As for Toady's moderation style.....he's got other things he wants to do than administrate the OT section of his boards. A full-time forum moderator would have the leisure of examining people's posting history, engaging them in debate, assessing motives and all that stuff. He doesn't have time for it though and it's not something you want to hire someone to control, just so we here can talk about something other than DF. The rules are there and he's been plenty lenient with people in the past. At a certain point you just have to go "This is my house and you've been fucking around in it long enough." I don't begrudge him that, even if I didn't personally see and measure the straw that broke the camel's back.
I *really* don't understand why he doesn't get community moderators.  The lower boards have got to be a serious drain on DF development, even with his slightly heavy-handed moderation.  I mean, he doesn't even just lock threads, he goes through and deletes the argumentative posts.  Seems like a hell of a lot of effort.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #85126 on: September 09, 2015, 05:09:54 pm »

I *really* don't understand why he doesn't get community moderators.  The lower boards have got to be a serious drain on DF development, even with his slightly heavy-handed moderation.  I mean, he doesn't even just lock threads, he goes through and deletes the argumentative posts.  Seems like a hell of a lot of effort.
Cos then he'd have to deal with community moderators

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85127 on: September 09, 2015, 05:10:10 pm »

ITT: DFforums are not *chan boards or weird subreddits, more at 11.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85128 on: September 09, 2015, 05:10:42 pm »

As for Toady's moderation style.....he's got other things he wants to do than administrate the OT section of his boards. A full-time forum moderator would have the leisure of examining people's posting history, engaging them in debate, assessing motives and all that stuff. He doesn't have time for it though and it's not something you want to hire someone to control, just so we here can talk about something other than DF. The rules are there and he's been plenty lenient with people in the past. At a certain point you just have to go "This is my house and you've been fucking around in it long enough." I don't begrudge him that, even if I didn't personally see and measure the straw that broke the camel's back.

Who is he going to trust to do that? What about all the other problems that can entail, as well?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85129 on: September 09, 2015, 05:11:05 pm »

Who... would that be? I don't know much about forums... so would he be looking for people with large amounts of time but not much capacity for shitposting, overreacting/reacting in anger, being biased, etc? Most people here seem like they'd be happier... inside looking out, if you see what I mean?
One wheel short of a wagon

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85130 on: September 09, 2015, 05:12:25 pm »

Who is he going to trust to do that? What about all the other problems that can entail, as well?

One of the good longtime forumers maybe? I can think of a few, but they're DF section people who rarely, if ever, come down into the other boards.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85131 on: September 09, 2015, 05:12:41 pm »

ThreeToe? He even has mod powers already.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85132 on: September 09, 2015, 05:13:14 pm »

Pretty sure threetoe often comes around to clear some mess or another once in a while, ye.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #85133 on: September 09, 2015, 05:13:40 pm »

...because community moderators are often terrible?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #85134 on: September 09, 2015, 05:13:49 pm »

I can say with confidence that there is nobody in this community who should be given the power to moderate it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85135 on: September 09, 2015, 05:14:14 pm »

ThreeToe? He even has mod powers already.
Who would totally love to start doing that even more in his spare time.
One wheel short of a wagon

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85136 on: September 09, 2015, 05:14:36 pm »

And so an age of shitposting came to an end.
rip lsp we'll probably remember you sometimes

re: Community moderators
Yes community moderators are terrible. Even worse if they're established users because the personality cult doesn't stop from getting bigger.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85137 on: September 09, 2015, 05:14:51 pm »

ThreeToe is even less interested in moderating the forum than Toady One.

I can say with confidence that there is nobody in this community who should be given the power to moderate it.

Surely theres a few that can be trusted?

We all have our quirks and stuff though........

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85138 on: September 09, 2015, 05:15:31 pm »

Huh.  Probably a bit late at this, but good luck on your future endeavors LSP, GC and Owlga.  Y'all will be missed.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #85139 on: September 09, 2015, 05:15:36 pm »

Maybe pick a few people who seem mostly level-headed, keep their identities a secret, and ban them if they abuse their power?

Also limiting powers to temp-mutes and thread locking would be a good idea.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 5674 5675 [5676] 5677 5678 ... 10979