Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5723 5724 [5725] 5726 5727 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12997718 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #85860 on: September 16, 2015, 01:56:22 pm »

Haha it's funny because literally nobody has said that!  Good one!
Nobody on Bay12 has and I've not heard about it anywhere else because it's not proper news.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #85861 on: September 16, 2015, 02:07:14 pm »

For what it's worth, the article reporting on it has updated with information that no charges will be pressed and the case has been closed. It's not exactly worth much, but at least the cops and administration are not continuing to pursue the farce to an even greater degree.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #85862 on: September 16, 2015, 02:19:31 pm »

He's lucky the cl9ck didn't have pictures of cartoon characters on it; then they'd be pressing the case even harder.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85863 on: September 16, 2015, 02:28:47 pm »

So, i got fired the other day. It was over me, apparently sayng pro kkk things. I was telling another employee about an African American who infiltrated the KKK.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #85864 on: September 16, 2015, 02:30:15 pm »

He's lucky the cl9ck didn't have pictures of cartoon characters on it; then they'd be pressing the case even harder.
Confusing texas with australia is bad form.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85865 on: September 16, 2015, 02:33:33 pm »

He's lucky the clock didn't have pictures of cartoon characters on it; then they'd be pressing the case even harder.
Confusing texas with australia is bad form.

No, that was a reference to an American case from back in 2007 in Masaachusetts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Boston_bomb_scare
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #85866 on: September 16, 2015, 02:51:22 pm »

So, i got fired the other day. It was over me, apparently sayng pro kkk things. I was telling another employee about an African American who infiltrated the KKK.
That sounds like the sort of thing you could sue over.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85867 on: September 16, 2015, 02:51:52 pm »

But you can't mention the feelbads! We must pretend the feelbads do not exist!

...Seriously though, that sucks. Hope you weren't too attached to your job.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #85868 on: September 16, 2015, 02:57:45 pm »

Honestly, though, the obsession with evil AI gets me. It's not like it would be difficult to raise healthy, well-balanced AI. Simply teach them to act ethically, raise them as your own beloved children.

And, y'know, make sure that the people making and raising them have all their cookies in the tin.
You probably need thought police to tell if people have all their cookies in the tin.  Then drastically lower those standards to the correct cookies in the tin.

And teaching ethics?  Why not pre-program it?  Need a whole battalion of lawyers to close up loopholes too...
One theory of developing strong AI is teaching it like one would teach a child, like FD is describing. Less control than pre-programming all the needed values into it, like raising a child, you don't know how the child will grow up and do with its life, you could very well find you raised a robo-Hitler or something. But if you pre-program every little thing into it, that would increase the work required in developing such an ai by a huuuuge amount, and increasing the chance of logical errors or other such flaws or bugs in the code by a likewise huuuge amount.

I'm partial to the whole "raise an ai like a child" idea, because that sounds fly as hell.

More than that, too. If an AI has "ethics" only by virtue of having an ethical code mandated by its programming, it's not ethical. You run into the same problems as you see in Asimov's stories (and SS13, heh): if the ethical subroutines are tampered with, removed, destroyed, &c., the AI has no reason to continue behaving ethically. Raise an AI as a child and teach it to behave ethically? You can't take that away, it's part of the person that it is.

Same reasoning for killswitches being a bad idea: you're treating a newborn and later an adult thinking being as if they were a dangerous criminal. Ways to cut off the AI's control of important systems? Sure. Not a threat of death, though.

Also, "thought police"? As if we don't already have screening processes for psychological health and stability for important positions.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85869 on: September 16, 2015, 03:08:16 pm »

Chances are your boss had it out for you and was looking for an excuse to get rid of you, however flimsy.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85870 on: September 16, 2015, 04:35:26 pm »

"The job asks for sixteen piles of tattoo sheets. I gave you one extra. Also, the lining is shit, the colours frequently change, with none of them matching what the customer ordered, the text on the back is not aligned with the front, and the last three piles are garbage, so just throw them out when you get down there."

Doesn't that mean I'm short two piles, not up one? Yet if anything goes wrong it's my fault.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85871 on: September 16, 2015, 05:17:18 pm »

But you can't mention the feelbads! We must pretend the feelbads do not exist!

...Seriously though, that sucks. Hope you weren't too attached to your job.

One of the best i've EVER had. Not to mention that I can't collect unemployment, and i have 2 dollars in my account right now.  Thanks, by the way.  What do you mean the feelbads?

Chances are your boss had it out for you and was looking for an excuse to get rid of you, however flimsy.

Actually, I had JUST got moved to a better shift to learn more. I was learning to replace a seal, and boot up, and shut down the machinery. We were on a first name basis.  Really, it comes down to an African American filing a complaint, and the company feeling it HAS to do something.

That sounds like the sort of thing you could sue over.
Thanks, but That would require money I don't have. Its also a He said/She said case. It comes down to an African American male telling on a white male. It would depend HIGHLY on the judge i get, not to mention calling everyone from different shifts for a day, necessitating a shutdown.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 05:44:06 pm by SimRobert2001 »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #85872 on: September 16, 2015, 05:29:40 pm »

It's FEF, not FEOF

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85873 on: September 16, 2015, 06:11:26 pm »

Honestly, though, the obsession with evil AI gets me. It's not like it would be difficult to raise healthy, well-balanced AI. Simply teach them to act ethically, raise them as your own beloved children.

And, y'know, make sure that the people making and raising them have all their cookies in the tin.
You probably need thought police to tell if people have all their cookies in the tin.  Then drastically lower those standards to the correct cookies in the tin.

And teaching ethics?  Why not pre-program it?  Need a whole battalion of lawyers to close up loopholes too...
One theory of developing strong AI is teaching it like one would teach a child, like FD is describing. Less control than pre-programming all the needed values into it, like raising a child, you don't know how the child will grow up and do with its life, you could very well find you raised a robo-Hitler or something. But if you pre-program every little thing into it, that would increase the work required in developing such an ai by a huuuuge amount, and increasing the chance of logical errors or other such flaws or bugs in the code by a likewise huuuge amount.

I'm partial to the whole "raise an ai like a child" idea, because that sounds fly as hell.

More than that, too. If an AI has "ethics" only by virtue of having an ethical code mandated by its programming, it's not ethical. You run into the same problems as you see in Asimov's stories (and SS13, heh): if the ethical subroutines are tampered with, removed, destroyed, &c., the AI has no reason to continue behaving ethically. Raise an AI as a child and teach it to behave ethically? You can't take that away, it's part of the person that it is.

So would the built-in ethical programming. Like an instinct or a gut reaction. You're under-thinking things.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...
Pages: 1 ... 5723 5724 [5725] 5726 5727 ... 10973