Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5724 5725 [5726] 5727 5728 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12995414 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #85875 on: September 16, 2015, 07:56:53 pm »

I saw a guy who was writing notes with žese šings earlier today. I suppose it might save še guy some small amount of time in handwriting, but it seems like more trouble žan it's worš to me, and it really hurts readability.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #85876 on: September 16, 2015, 07:59:40 pm »

I saw a guy who was writing notes with žese šings earlier today. I suppose it might save še guy some small amount of time in handwriting, but it seems like more trouble žan it's worš to me, and it really hurts readability.
Yeah but it's like those two people who learned Latin to speak with words no one else can understand for reasons quite unclear; when you can, do it because you can

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #85877 on: September 16, 2015, 08:03:03 pm »

I feel like it would be better to just use the thorn to represent "the"
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #85878 on: September 16, 2015, 08:33:06 pm »

Oh my Lord I think I've met a son of Nurgle who thought that everyone freaking out over why he'd been wearing the same clothes for the last two weeks was a criticism of his fashion sense

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #85879 on: September 16, 2015, 08:35:53 pm »

Perhaps hobo chic has been catching on in their area?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #85880 on: September 16, 2015, 08:36:19 pm »

._.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #85881 on: September 16, 2015, 08:36:31 pm »

Yeah but it's like those two people who learned Latin to speak with words no one else can understand for reasons quite unclear; when you can, do it because you can

As the great philosopher Iamblichus once said, "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85882 on: September 16, 2015, 08:42:46 pm »

I have a friend who knows shorthand, real shorthand.  It's incomprehensible to me, but is impressively compact.  Definitely helps.
That guy you know is being kinda cool/silly though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85883 on: September 16, 2015, 08:43:51 pm »

They're accusing him of knowing that it looked like a bomb, basically.  Intentionally creating a scare, as a prank or attention thing.  I don't think he did, sounds like he was just really naive (14 years old).
It's also definitely possible it was because his name is Ahmed Mohamed, he is Muslim, and it's September.
And, as we all know, the actions of terrorists from fourteen years ago implicate all people that look even remotely similar to said terrorists forever, regardless of actual belief or resonable capability to perform terrorism. It's the rules, guys.
Black lives matter.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85884 on: September 16, 2015, 08:45:00 pm »

Alternatively, because it's September and he's brown, it's literally impossible for him to make a fucking mistake.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85885 on: September 16, 2015, 08:45:47 pm »

As the great philosopher Iamblichus once said, "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur."

Heh, maybe I'll start using them too. I'll be that guy. Thinking about it more I suppose can see the appeal of using a single letter for those sounds, instead of a digraph.

Not online though, unless I get an Icelandic keyboard or something. Alt-codes are clunky as fuck.

I have a friend who knows shorthand, real shorthand.  It's incomprehensible to me, but is impressively compact.  Definitely helps.
That guy you know is being kinda cool/silly though.

I tried to learn how to shorthand, I really did, but I just couldn't get into it. The phonetics and the very similar characters leave too steep a learning curve for me without having someone to help me along.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85886 on: September 16, 2015, 08:48:06 pm »

Alternatively, because it's September and he's brown, it's literally impossible for him to make a fucking mistake.
"Throwing together" a clock in a single morning and bringing it in to show to his teacher is a mistake?
Black lives matter.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #85887 on: September 16, 2015, 08:48:13 pm »

I don't know. Me and my brown friends have been shot some pretty nasty looks. where u at ???

They're accusing him of knowing that it looked like a bomb, basically.  Intentionally creating a scare, as a prank or attention thing.  I don't think he did, sounds like he was just really naive (14 years old).
It's also definitely possible it was because his name is Ahmed Mohamed, he is Muslim, and it's September.
And, as we all know, the actions of terrorists from fourteen years ago implicate all people that look even remotely similar to said terrorists forever, regardless of actual belief or resonable capability to perform terrorism. It's the rules, guys.

I think I mentioned something about Middle Easterners and Youtube-tier facial hair before.

Anyway, this kind of local discrimination really goes against the notion of "freedom" America tries to push. It's like watching your principal say that your school doesn't have a drug problem while seeing a guy walking out of a bathroom puffing smoke out of his nose. It's not endorsed, but it still happens and still sets a bad image as much as we pretend that we're trying to fix it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85888 on: September 16, 2015, 08:57:54 pm »

"Throwing together" a clock in a single morning and bringing it in to show to his teacher is a mistake?
Yes.  If I had brought a beeping briefcase with a bunch of wires and a clock display to my high school, I would have gotten in a mess of trouble... Like my friend, who did something not even close to that level.
Of course I was in high school DURING 9/11 and Columbine, so maybe that's not fair.  Still, it was pretty naive of the kid...  And that's taking him at his word.
And I still don't think he's lying.  It's just possible.  It's not unheard of for high schoolers to do stupid things and desperately try to backpedal.  I should know!

The whole thing is an unfortunate mess, it's just fucked up to blame one side because the kid is muslim.  He's a *person*.
She/they

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #85889 on: September 16, 2015, 09:02:51 pm »

Kid is a person, but irving, texas is also pretty well known for being full of bigoted jackasses, to the point I've seen other texans go, "Oh no, not this shit again" when this particular incident is discussed.

And yeah, I've seen kids get in trouble for similar stuff, but "in trouble" is significantly different from "handcuffed, arrested, and threatened with criminal charges".
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 5724 5725 [5726] 5727 5728 ... 10973