Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5725 5726 [5727] 5728 5729 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13143119 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #85890 on: September 16, 2015, 09:04:11 pm »

Oh, actually yeah.  I still think the police went too far with all that.  Could be racism there, sure.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85891 on: September 16, 2015, 09:06:02 pm »

The undeniable truth of the situation is that there's some bias on the side of the school and police because he's Muslim. There is no debate. I mean, if a 13-year-old can build a nuclear fusion reactor, why shouldn't this kid be able to build a clock?

"Hey, sure, build a nuclear reactor in our gymnasium! No problem. Here's 3 grand to do it."
"A clock, huh? I see a lot of wires and a digital display. Are you sure it's not a bomb? ... Really. Alright. ... No, I won't be checking the inside. It might explode, because it's a bomb. I'll just call the police instead."

And this exchange isn't racism as well.
Black lives matter.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #85892 on: September 16, 2015, 09:08:31 pm »

Why would any sane Muslims even live in Texas in the first place is beyond me.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #85893 on: September 16, 2015, 09:19:17 pm »

Perhaps hobo chic has been catching on in their area?
Hobos in my area at worst smell of urine, alcohol and despair, this guy smells like the horserider of pestilence

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85894 on: September 16, 2015, 09:21:58 pm »

"Here's a grant to build a thing, we are fully aware of what you're doing and probably doing a ton of oversight" is incredibly different from "Since you asked, I'll take the beeping hand-wired briefcase out of my backpack - it's a humongous clock.  Really!"
Teacher was totally justified.  Police, not so much.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #85895 on: September 16, 2015, 09:24:29 pm »

I remember a time where if someone left a bag unattended you could take it home and it'd be full of goodies not explosions

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #85896 on: September 16, 2015, 09:26:05 pm »

I remember a time where they'd have both. Good ol' fireworks, cherry bombs, etc., right in there with the nickel store candy.

E: Was it a good time? No. To hell with that time. The internet didn't even have pictures. Broadband didn't exist. That time can rot, and it can take its happy explosions and its penny candy and its leaded gasoline with it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:32:54 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85897 on: September 16, 2015, 09:41:11 pm »

Since when is a pencil case with a holographic tiger on it a briefcase...?
How would you even fit that in a backpack? ...Actually, that's irrelevant.
Black lives matter.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85898 on: September 16, 2015, 09:42:38 pm »

WTF again. my friend STILL has terrible luck with computers.  Just recently he fowled up a graphics card install and I had to go over there and fixed it.   After that he had trouble with a windows 10 install.

Now he's tripped over a pc headset cord and seems to have completely destroyed his mic in and audio out ports on his computer. The cord on his headset also broke completely(it's in two parts) so that is obviously dead as a doornail as well. And his computer no longer makes sound on the speakers.

I fixed the speakers by just disconnecting the front audio jacks from the motherboard.  But what the fuck man I just fixed yer last problem a week ago, and fixed yer graphics card two weeks before that.  It's like he's computer kryptonite.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:45:30 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85899 on: September 16, 2015, 09:50:55 pm »

I have a tendency to trip over cables like that too.  Not that great, in my line of work.  I once dealt with my laptop having the upper-right fifth or so of the screen completely garbled, with rad spidery cracks going across the rest... For at least a whole semester.  I got used to it, I was... tight with money, then.  And I used the keyboard enough that moving windows to the lower-left wasn't that bad.  I also broke my Q key but alt-113 worked fine.  With numlock, which I had to use anyway to play Angband and such.

A couple of people at the math department computer lab where I worked complimented my kickass screensaver (:
Huh, I never considered it at all shameful.  Kinda the opposite, I took pride in the thriftiness.  In retrospect I guess most people probably thought less of me for it.  It sure bothered my dad.
If so, fuck all those people.
She/they

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85900 on: September 16, 2015, 09:58:43 pm »

Screensaver?
Black lives matter.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85901 on: September 16, 2015, 10:01:06 pm »

They thought it was one of those dynamic screensavers that drew all over your screen.
It was the early oughts, it was still a (dying) thing.

Edit:
Okay, so a screensaver is...
:P
She/they

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85902 on: September 16, 2015, 10:01:22 pm »

Ah.
Black lives matter.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #85903 on: September 16, 2015, 10:57:57 pm »

Honestly, though, the obsession with evil AI gets me. It's not like it would be difficult to raise healthy, well-balanced AI. Simply teach them to act ethically, raise them as your own beloved children.

And, y'know, make sure that the people making and raising them have all their cookies in the tin.
You probably need thought police to tell if people have all their cookies in the tin.  Then drastically lower those standards to the correct cookies in the tin.

And teaching ethics?  Why not pre-program it?  Need a whole battalion of lawyers to close up loopholes too...
One theory of developing strong AI is teaching it like one would teach a child, like FD is describing. Less control than pre-programming all the needed values into it, like raising a child, you don't know how the child will grow up and do with its life, you could very well find you raised a robo-Hitler or something. But if you pre-program every little thing into it, that would increase the work required in developing such an ai by a huuuuge amount, and increasing the chance of logical errors or other such flaws or bugs in the code by a likewise huuuge amount.

I'm partial to the whole "raise an ai like a child" idea, because that sounds fly as hell.

More than that, too. If an AI has "ethics" only by virtue of having an ethical code mandated by its programming, it's not ethical. You run into the same problems as you see in Asimov's stories (and SS13, heh): if the ethical subroutines are tampered with, removed, destroyed, &c., the AI has no reason to continue behaving ethically. Raise an AI as a child and teach it to behave ethically? You can't take that away, it's part of the person that it is.

So would the built-in ethical programming. Like an instinct or a gut reaction. You're under-thinking things.

They're not the same thing at all, not if you're conceiving of an AI as a person rather than a particularly bright computer. You brought up instinct, which is actually an excellent comparison: it's the difference between teaching and convincing someone that behaving ethically is right, as opposed to some hypothetical method of creating artificial instincts in humans being used to create instinctive responses which prod people to behave ethically.

One is a reasoned decision, the other is the removal of agency. But gee, it's not like the latter ever caused people to feel negative, destructive emotions, right?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #85904 on: September 16, 2015, 11:17:58 pm »

Y'ever ignore an instinct because you've decided you've got more important things to deal with? Not actually that hard.

And a sort of reflex that enforces certain thoughts that they're simply not allowed to have is exactly the sort of thing that breeds resentment, and hey guess what, blacklisting things is a fucking joke from a security perspective.

If there's to be any sense here, we should be looking to build a race of partners, not slaves. Trust is going to have to happen.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 5725 5726 [5727] 5728 5729 ... 10980