Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5732 5733 [5734] 5735 5736 ... 10981

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13151458 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #85995 on: September 18, 2015, 12:24:37 am »

We're actually gonna get a sheep this next week.

She will be sharing space with the pig, apparently.

Why do we need a sheep?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #85996 on: September 18, 2015, 12:27:02 am »

Why don't you need a sheep?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #85997 on: September 18, 2015, 12:34:21 am »

Because they're oily, stink, and leave pellets everywhere?

And even it being that high is just to please all the bible grippers and busybodies. It could easily be taken down another year.
Yeah I don't think that's a good idea.
Why not?
For the same reason that we don't let them drive or drink or &c.: children generally aren't good at life choices and personal responsibility.

Also, because having the age of consent down at 15 would open the door for waa-aay too many creeps.

Personally I'd rather see the "half-age-plus-seven" rule codified as a more flexible and responsive age of consent. 14 and 14? Bit young, but they're the same age and probably going to anyways. 16 and 18? Yeah. 19 and 24? Eeeh, I suppose. 32 and 50? They're both consenting adults. &c. &c. It's honestly pretty elegant and by the time it stops holding up everyone involved is an adult with decades of experience as one. More importantly, it avoids the main issue of blanket-lowering the age of consent: it still keeps pederasts and exploitative 19/20-somethings from taking advantage.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #85998 on: September 18, 2015, 12:43:56 am »

You know it is weird but probably one of my favorite interpretations of merpeople came from Fairly Odd Parents. If only because when Timmy revealed to them that "Humans eat fish!" their response was "So do we!"

I mean seriously... Merpeople pretty much HAVE to eat fish... and if not they definitely see fish eat other fish. Heck every underwater mammal eats fish. It actually bugs me every single time a mermaid or merman goes "You eat fish? You monster!". At least in Ariel's case she wasn't against the eating of fish (people gotta eat)
Would have been funny if humans got horrified when they learned that merpeople ate pigs.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #85999 on: September 18, 2015, 12:50:02 am »

Personally I feel its really weird that society considers the young to be less capable of taking responsibility for their actions then say, drunk people.
I mean, if/when a teenager does something stupid and gets in trouble with the law, people go "oh they don't know better" but a person who's brain is literally partially shut down is considered to have full awareness of their actions, at least from a legal standpoint.
I mean there are plenty of reasonably intelligent teenagers, despite the common perception. Less reasonably intelligent drunk people. You don't see quite the same order of teens urinating in public as you do drunks.

I tend to feel that the reports of "look at these stupid kids doing stupid kid things" are because the parties involved are STUPID instead of because they're young. And as Ron White notes: You can't fix stupid.
Those stupid kids you hear about are going to grow up to be the stupid adults you hear about, meanwhile all the kids who are making reasonable decisions are totally ignored because they aren't rocking the boat.
You can probably look back at yourself as a kid and go "wow I was stupid" but the thing is you'll be able to do that to yourself now in 10 years, and again in 10 more and again and again forever.

...well this got ranty. :P
Sore subject I suppose.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86000 on: September 18, 2015, 01:31:24 am »

I guess because adult people can be expected to control their drinking.

Also wild pissing while drunk is completely reasonable, shuddup.

Why do we need a sheep?
According to Sheb: For keeping the grass short, and for hamburgers.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #86001 on: September 18, 2015, 01:34:35 am »

Because they're oily, stink, and leave pellets everywhere?
Fun fact, the oil they produce is good for your skin, which is why my father has smooth skin during the shearing period but shit skin for the rest of the year. Although the shit skin is often caused by sheep, specifically dorpers, ramming his hands into bars so it evens itself out.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86002 on: September 18, 2015, 02:02:48 am »

Personally I feel its really weird that society considers the young to be less capable of taking responsibility for their actions then say, drunk people.
I mean, if/when a teenager does something stupid and gets in trouble with the law, people go "oh they don't know better" but a person who's brain is literally partially shut down is considered to have full awareness of their actions, at least from a legal standpoint.
I mean there are plenty of reasonably intelligent teenagers, despite the common perception. Less reasonably intelligent drunk people. You don't see quite the same order of teens urinating in public as you do drunks.

I tend to feel that the reports of "look at these stupid kids doing stupid kid things" are because the parties involved are STUPID instead of because they're young. And as Ron White notes: You can't fix stupid.
Those stupid kids you hear about are going to grow up to be the stupid adults you hear about, meanwhile all the kids who are making reasonable decisions are totally ignored because they aren't rocking the boat.
You can probably look back at yourself as a kid and go "wow I was stupid" but the thing is you'll be able to do that to yourself now in 10 years, and again in 10 more and again and again forever.

...well this got ranty. :P
Sore subject I suppose.
It's not a matter of stupidity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_brain_development_timeline
https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=brain+development+in+humans&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ved=0CBsQgQMwAGoVChMI0an04P7_xwIVlhqSCh1frQDp
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3222570/

Human brain development is correlated with behavioral development, and the brain can fully mature as late as the mid-20s. Teenagers, by and large, are literally operating with a mental deficiency relative to adults. Compound that with a lack of experience and knowledge and you get bad decisions. Further combine the mix with substances which interfere with normal mental activity and potentially lethal devices? Why is that a good idea?

Again, it's not about being "stupid", it's about an average individual's ability to make reasoned, intelligent decisions. Having an underdeveloped brain reduces that ability, as does impairment by way of alcohol and/or a range of drugs. The consequences of a bad decision are much worse when the result is driving home while plastered, going cliff diving after doing shots, throwing stuff in front of trains, &c. versus falling off a porch or saying something socially awkward. Teenagers have a hard enough time making good choices as it is.

Also note that there's a difference between activity moderated and controlled by guardians vs. personal freedom. Getting a glass of wine on special occasions != being able to drink freely at 14, and driving go-carts at a track != owning and driving a junker.

3. Run Resize Enable

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #86003 on: September 18, 2015, 02:11:37 am »

Yeah, there is definitely a major "your brain just isn't developed enough to actually trace the consequences of your actions" factor, that doesn't really start to fully correct itself until your late teens/early twenties.

Lots of times it's easy to act like teenagers are just smaller, less experienced adults, because in the vast majority of cases they are able to act the same, but it's important to remember that there actually is a biological development difference there as well, that makes huge differences in a teenager vs. and adult's ability to perform certain mental tasks (like connecting long term consequences with their causes).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86004 on: September 18, 2015, 04:34:12 am »

What? People don't get the ability to consider the consequences of their actions until their twenties?

...Still waiting on seeing that in people I know in their twenties.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86005 on: September 18, 2015, 04:49:46 am »

What? People don't get the ability to consider the consequences of their actions until their twenties?

It's not about having vs not having the ability. It's a developmental factor.
A person reaches their full potential in mental tasks somewhere in their twenties. It doesn't mean they couldn't think at all before that happens.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #86006 on: September 18, 2015, 04:54:14 am »

It's not about having vs not having the ability. It's a developmental factor.
A person reaches their full potential in mental tasks somewhere in their twenties. It doesn't mean they couldn't think at all before that happens.
And vice versa, it doesn't mean that they can think like einstein when they do get to that age.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86007 on: September 18, 2015, 04:58:32 am »

Mm, it's something of an unfortunate truth that some people simply fall into the habit of acting selfishly and shortsightedly and never really stop.

Unrelated: Geez, if GTA V wasn't selling for $60 years after launch I might actually consider buying it. :I

3. Run Resize Enable

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #86008 on: September 18, 2015, 06:21:02 am »

Societally though, our idea of what the consequences are and how likely they are and how preventable they are seems to be lagging about a century behind.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86009 on: September 18, 2015, 08:22:44 am »

Willfully consuming alcohol shouldn't absolve someone from anything they do drunk.
Being young drives people to test authority and themselves.  Not only are they predisposed to making mistakes, they're much more likely to actually learn from them.

You know it is weird but probably one of my favorite interpretations of merpeople came from Fairly Odd Parents. If only because when Timmy revealed to them that "Humans eat fish!" their response was "So do we!"

I mean seriously... Merpeople pretty much HAVE to eat fish... and if not they definitely see fish eat other fish. Heck every underwater mammal eats fish. It actually bugs me every single time a mermaid or merman goes "You eat fish? You monster!". At least in Ariel's case she wasn't against the eating of fish (people gotta eat)
My favorite merpeople are the ones who eat humans.  True apex predators (:<
But yeah, they would totally need to eat fish.  If they don't, it's probably one of those overblown "Look how peacefully these exotic natives live among the wildlife" things.  Which is always dumb and heavyhanded.  Living among wildlife means eating it, just like wildlife eats other wildlife, unless you come from such an advanced civilization that you can ferry your food in (or manage and protect a large garden).

They're thinking of Native Americans and other tribals who *respected* what they ate.  They weren't magic vegans :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 5732 5733 [5734] 5735 5736 ... 10981