Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5751 5752 [5753] 5754 5755 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13190403 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #86280 on: September 22, 2015, 07:43:38 pm »

"He was trying to have a discussion."

Yes, about as much as anyone else in that thread was.

e: Also note that the thread would have died entirely if he hadn't kept bumping it until the bickering started. He got what he wanted. Most of the first page was a derail about corporations and media attention.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86281 on: September 22, 2015, 07:44:18 pm »

Yet he was the one who was punished for it.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86282 on: September 22, 2015, 07:46:12 pm »

Yes, because it makes no sense for someone who started a flamebait thread and repeatedly avoided any semblance of real discussion to be punished more than the people who responded to him.

If someone shouts "fire" in a crowded theater and someone is trampled in the panic, they don't try to figure out who stepped on the dead person.

3. Run Resize Enable

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86283 on: September 22, 2015, 07:48:23 pm »

From what I got from that thread (while it was still going on, and which I chose not to participate in because I could just see the banhammer flying in the horizon) Rex was clearly being an asshole, and some other people arguing with him were too, but it became more and more obvious he was intentionally turning it into a flame war, as in, it wasn't a real discussion (if it ever was), but something being orchestrated to piss people off.

Keep in mind I actualy do think the whole "clock build by discriminated muslim student" story the american left leaning news is parading is highly shady, to say the least.

EDIT:
ninja count: 8
presidents kidnapped: 0
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86284 on: September 22, 2015, 07:50:25 pm »

Yes, because it makes no sense for someone who started a flamebait thread and repeatedly avoided any semblance of real discussion to be punished more than the people who responded to him.

If someone shouts "fire" in a crowded theater and someone is trampled in the panic, they don't try to figure out who stepped on the dead person.

But if someone gets a group of people to riot and they start looting storefronts and setting cars on fire, the hooligans will be punished right along with the one who incited the riot. That's what that thread was, really, one guy whipping up a mob, who then proceeded to throw shit at each other and at their surroundings.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86285 on: September 22, 2015, 07:51:36 pm »

Also this^
Rex wasn't exactly the only one flaming.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86286 on: September 22, 2015, 07:52:37 pm »

I mean, let's be honest, there's no way in hell I'd bring something like that to school back when I was in it, and that's as a geeky white kid. As an Arab-looking kid in the South I'd only do it if I was feeling suicidal. That's basically zero common sense on his part, American schools are fucking crazy about security regardless of who you are, and there've been plenty that sanction kids hard for stupid things like making finger-gun gestures:P

e: that was in response to TempAcc earlier.

It's not the same principle as a riot, that analogy is flawed. The only harm that might have been done would have been to his ego, and I'm doubtful about that.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 07:55:45 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86287 on: September 22, 2015, 07:53:41 pm »

Let's ban everyone who posted in that thread.
I believe that this would help to create a more helpful and caring forum environment.  ;D
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86288 on: September 22, 2015, 07:56:15 pm »

IDK.  I have to confess I'm on his "side", at least to some extent, but the OP looks reasonable to me.  He pointed out things which were, in his view, common misconceptions.  He provided sources from multiple sites.  Seems like he put a lot of earnest effort for it compared to, well...

Compared to what *I* said in this very thread, honestly.  If his OP was trolling, my post was worse.

I mean, let's be honest, there's no way in hell I'd bring something like that to school back when I was in it, and that's as a geeky white kid. As an Arab-looking kid in the South I'd only do it if I was feeling suicidal. That's basically zero common sense on his part, American schools are fucking crazy about security regardless of who you are, and there've been plenty that sanction kids hard for stupid things like making finger-gun gestures:P
This was my position pretty much!  And in return, I still feel like the police were overzealous with him.  Might have even been racially motivated to some extent...  I just don't blame the teacher, and something similar happened to my white best friend in high school.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86289 on: September 22, 2015, 07:57:00 pm »

What I'm saying is that there were points I agreed with him on -- it was completely overblown -- but he insisted on making it some sort of grand liberal conspiracy and refused to debate rationally.

3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #86290 on: September 22, 2015, 07:58:29 pm »

It looks to me like he tried to start a discussion in good faith.
If that looked like good faith to you, we've got very different understanding of the concept. The first post could be generously referred to as that (excepting, perhaps, that it was copy/pasted from elsewhere, anyway, and had other notable problems), but basically everything after that... wasn't. The discussion could have been handled gracefully, but the OP pretty much immediately (literally immediately, really, straight from the thread bumping second post and continuing with pretty much every post after either attacking another person in the thread, denigrating someone involved in the story's character, or something along those lines) started to try to drag the discussion into a fight instead of a conversation. Which happened, and people stopped taking things particularly seriously (to say the least).

Those who cannot handle good-faith, respectful discussions should not take part in them, and shitposting a thread to death should in no way be a way to get the thread locked or the OP banned.
That's true, at least the latter bit. Unfortunately for rex, it was more than just other people's actions that got them banned.

And @Rol (and points that came up while typing), unfortunately, being provoked ultimately won't prevent you from being banned. If you engage with antagonism with more antagonism, you get considered part of the problem. Pretty much the first bulletpoint in the forum guidelines. Considering rex both had a history of doing so, and explicitly stated in that thread that they were setting out to entice and give out said antagonism, well, the obvious happened. When it comes to stuff like this, the OP nets more of the blame -- they have the tools to stop dogpiles (locks, reports), and the responsibility to set the tone of the thread appropriately (by not escalating or sniping back if people are being offensive and reporting, as the guidelines specifically state to do). OP in that case failed on both points, which combined with other things lead to the ban.

... it's just. Look, folks. If you want to talk about stuff like that thread was, you can. You just have to handle it correctly. If you know you're going into a controversial topic, you can't let the tone of the discussion get dragged down. If you see it getting out of hand, you warn appropriately, possibly lock the thread of your own volition and report troublemakers if that's not enough, not contribute to the problem. As the OP, you have to manage the tone, start with and maintain decorum, and respond appropriately probably inevitable antagonism. Rex failed on absolutely every point of that, and as the OP and the one that took on the responsibility for the tone of the thread when they made it, got hit the hardest for doing so. Other people probably deserved warnings or mutes at the least, but the targeted ban wasn't particularly out of line.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #86291 on: September 22, 2015, 08:02:25 pm »

Can someone give a TL;DR for those of us who don't know what's going on?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86292 on: September 22, 2015, 08:03:49 pm »

Wait, about the thread, or the original story?

The thread's the same story as it always is: someone is a dick to people, other people are dicks back, banlist gets a new name.

3. Run Resize Enable

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86293 on: September 22, 2015, 08:04:53 pm »

I didn't see him being much of a dick at all until people started accusing him of conspiracy theories, which was almost immediately, and also totally uncalled for.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 08:07:13 pm by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86294 on: September 22, 2015, 08:12:48 pm »

TempAcc's Uninformed TL;DR:

Ahmed brough suspicious bomb looking object to school, teacher went omgwtf called bomb squad. While its obvious it wasn't a bomb, they charged him with intentionaly taking an object to school to cause a bomb scare. Media jumped on the story and made a race war out of it, as if NA didn't have enough of that already.

Rex made a flamebait-ey thread about how the whole thing stank of malicious intent and SJW type attitudes of turning a potentially dangerous conduct on the part of a minority into an opression olympic that only ended up getting tons of free advertising to several companies and rep points to totally not opportunistic politicians.

People subsequently started arguing with Rex, some flamed and accused him of being a conspiracy theorist, Rex argued back and flamed harder, it turned into a flame war of political opinions, Rex got banned, the other people got out scot free
Pages: 1 ... 5751 5752 [5753] 5754 5755 ... 10984