Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5776 5777 [5778] 5779 5780 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13175331 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #86655 on: September 25, 2015, 08:54:50 pm »

I remember them Aussies, hahahaha what a bunch of numpties

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86656 on: September 25, 2015, 09:50:06 pm »

I mean SealyStar isn't beating someone to death in real life exactly the same as saying bad comments about them online and they commit suicide?

There is a victim in both cases so they are exactly the same thing.

We should in fact start calling Cyberbullying something like... Cyberviolence because they are so exactly the same.
Intention is the difference! The thing people need to remember though is that not all bullies specifically are trying to kill someone, and those that aren't should be seeing a lesser level of punishment, the same way that people who drive drunk don't get the same level as first degree murderers, who don't get the same level as third or second degree murderers. Intention makes a difference!

Thing is, it's a lot harder to prove intent in cases involving online harassment. There isn't any "Oh, I didn't mean to kill him when I stabbed him twenty times!" or " Of course not, I never imagined that pushing her off a bridge might kill her!", but barring an outright confession or an idiot leaving a data trail demonstrating intent it's almost impossible to prove that someone was intentionally trying to drive someone to suicide instead of merely being an asshole, especially when the interactions take place online.

And that's the thing. What these faux-progressives are pushing for is to cut away any sense of gradation in severity of offense in a wide swath of areas, the equivalent of trying to make all charges involving a human death equivalent to Murder 1.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #86657 on: September 25, 2015, 09:50:47 pm »

There was a similar turn of phrase used in the article, but it's fairly self suggestive that they said it in a "if they both end up with the victim dead then how big a difference dies it really make" kind of statement.

A lot...

Drinking and Driving and shooting someone gets the same results but I wouldn't say they are equivalent.

That's giving the other side too much credit. There's an even bigger difference between killing someone by any means vs convincing them to kill themselves.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86658 on: September 26, 2015, 12:34:45 am »

Friiig so I was looking through this random comic website, and one of them is in the form of a video. Having just got an iPhone, I thought the volume buttons on the side would mute the volume of videos as well as the ringer, so I turn that down so the video doesn't start playing out loud, in case it's weird and my parents are in the next room. I'm not using headphones because... Um... For the lulz?

Turns out those buttons actually do not turn the volume down.
My parents are, in fact, in the next room.
And the video starts off (REALLY LOUDLY, btw) with, "hey little girl, want to know a secret?" In a really creepy voice.

Friiiig

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86659 on: September 26, 2015, 12:44:31 am »

I mean SealyStar isn't beating someone to death in real life exactly the same as saying bad comments about them online and they commit suicide?

There is a victim in both cases so they are exactly the same thing.

We should in fact start calling Cyberbullying something like... Cyberviolence because they are so exactly the same.
Intention is the difference! The thing people need to remember though is that not all bullies specifically are trying to kill someone, and those that aren't should be seeing a lesser level of punishment, the same way that people who drive drunk don't get the same level as first degree murderers, who don't get the same level as third or second degree murderers. Intention makes a difference!

Thing is, it's a lot harder to prove intent in cases involving online harassment. There isn't any "Oh, I didn't mean to kill him when I stabbed him twenty times!" or " Of course not, I never imagined that pushing her off a bridge might kill her!", but barring an outright confession or an idiot leaving a data trail demonstrating intent it's almost impossible to prove that someone was intentionally trying to drive someone to suicide instead of merely being an asshole, especially when the interactions take place online.

And that's the thing. What these faux-progressives are pushing for is to cut away any sense of gradation in severity of offense in a wide swath of areas, the equivalent of trying to make all charges involving a human death equivalent to Murder 1.

The thing is, you can't walk away from someone beating you to death or whatever. You can walk away from people saying terrible things on the internet in a heartbeat, by blocking the offenders or simply logging off from wherever the offense is coming from. The average person understands this, and only people with pre-existing mental health problems are likely to commit suicide over mean things on Twitter or wherever. When people act like an asshole to me on the internet, I act like an asshole right back, and tell them to fuck off. If they don't let up, I simply block or ignore them. Works pretty well.

As for internet harassment that turns into real-world harassment like sending shit like syringes or dead animals in the mail or trying to get people fired for the "wrong" opinions, that's another story entirely and should be met with criminal charges. However, shitposting on twitter should never be illegal, unless it's a credible threat or is actively and sincerely attempting to incite violence.

"ima fukken smash ur 'ead in m8" is not a credible threat. "I'm gonna kill this person at x address", however, most certainly is.

"gas the kikes, race war now" is not a real attempt at inciting violence, merely /pol/-tier shitposting. "Hey, let's kill all the white/black/Jewish people in x town" should be punished, however.

That's my view, anyway.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86660 on: September 26, 2015, 12:51:21 am »

Except I'm pretty sure people who perpetrate crime and race crime are the kinds of people who announce it via 'ima fukken smash ur ead in'.

Random comic website video.

Heheh. Sure thing buddy.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86661 on: September 26, 2015, 12:52:49 am »

Except I'm pretty sure people who perpetrate crime and race crime are the kinds of people who announce it via 'ima fukken smash ur ead in'.
On the internet, it's 99.99% harmless shitposting, and that's being generous.

Edit: Also, one of the things that was specifically being complained about was people posting "You suck", and "You're a liar". These people essentially want to make petty insults and legitimate criticism a crime.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 12:58:23 am by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86662 on: September 26, 2015, 02:21:49 am »

... it's probably time that this gets it's own thread guys, if you're going to continue. We're no longer really commenting on the original article anymore, and this is a full-blown debate topic.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #86663 on: September 26, 2015, 03:47:03 am »

u wot m8 ima fukken smash ur ead in

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86664 on: September 26, 2015, 03:59:09 am »

u wot m8 ima fukken smash ur ead in
AAHHHHH, POLICE HELP I'M BEING ASSAULTED... wait a minute, I'm not a woman. The UN doesn't care about men being victims of cyber-violence. Carry on!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #86665 on: September 26, 2015, 04:09:05 am »

i'm punchin u thru the internet
what you gonna do cant chek ur emails

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #86666 on: September 26, 2015, 04:11:04 am »

What the hell is cyber-violence even supposed to be?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86667 on: September 26, 2015, 04:12:01 am »

It is just a renamed Cyberbullying in order to make it sound more edgy and serious.

Think of it as the opposite of calling civilian casualties... Collateral Damage.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #86668 on: September 26, 2015, 04:16:22 am »

It is just a renamed Cyberbullying in order to make it sound more edgy and serious.

Think of it as the opposite of calling civilian casualties... Collateral Damage.
Spamming - violent marketing
Hacking - violent hackmurder
Scamming - violent sneaky cyber wallet stabby
Piracy - intellectual murder
Being mean on twitter - literally hitler
Sexual grooming of children - collateral damage

Tbh Hackmurder sounds like an awesome Dorf Fort name.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #86669 on: September 26, 2015, 04:19:00 am »

At least collateral damage doesn't sound like some retarded politician attempting to pander to the electorate.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 5776 5777 [5778] 5779 5780 ... 10983