Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5848 5849 [5850] 5851 5852 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12996088 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #87735 on: October 15, 2015, 02:49:39 am »

Mostly idiots who want to feel better about themselves, I imagine.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #87736 on: October 15, 2015, 03:26:41 am »

It's merely another expression of people who don't want to take responsibility for their actions.

I recall a beautifully elegant response to the crowd who like to push the angle of "It's unfair for people to not want to date us because we're overweight when we can't help it 'cause it's genetic!": So, literally natural selection?

S'like... there's nothing wrong with being fat. The problem's with being outraged because other people won't fuck you because of it, or trying to push the same unhealthy behavior on children. I mean, I was a super-introverted bullied dweeb with greasy hair in junior high, but I didn't go around thinking that it wasn't fair that I couldn't get a date because of shit like that.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87737 on: October 15, 2015, 04:33:27 am »

g
But, also, I work at a very stressful job and I'm trying to do school at the same time. And, tbh, I don't really mind the weight i'm at right now (~300). I tend to have a good enough sense of humour that noone really fixates on it too log, so until it becomes a problem i think i'll be fine.

You should probably try and gradually tone up though. Losing weight becomes much harder as you get older, and the health implications become worse. It's also better to lose the weight gradually than all at once when there's a problem.

S'like... there's nothing wrong with being fat. The problem's with being outraged because other people won't fuck you because of it, or trying to push the same unhealthy behavior on children. I mean, I was a super-introverted bullied dweeb with greasy hair in junior high, but I didn't go around thinking that it wasn't fair that I couldn't get a date because of shit like that.

When obese women complain about not getting a date, well, that's clearly because of men who have been indoctrinated by the patriarchy to only like the submissive slim girls. Damn those sexist males!

When ugly men complain about not getting a date, well that's clearly because those men have been indoctrinated by the patriarchy to expect women to be "available" to them. Damn those sexist males!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 04:57:30 am by Reelya »

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87738 on: October 15, 2015, 04:51:27 am »

Seems legit.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #87739 on: October 15, 2015, 05:54:10 am »

Really the long and short of it is that nobody's entitled to sex or romance or friendship. If something about you is physically or psychologically ugly, that's on you to overcome. If Uganda's ugliest man can get married something like ten times, ain't nothin' stopping you.

Same reason as why the guys who whine about friendzoning are full of shit.

3. Run Resize Enable

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #87740 on: October 15, 2015, 07:29:55 am »

It's merely another expression of people who don't want to take responsibility for their actions.
Well, that is a pretty unfair assessment. In many cases weight is a direct consequence of some disease, or of financial problems. And even when it's not, there's a pretty big psychological component to people eating more than is healthy, to the point that calling it a result of actions they need to take responsibility for is akin to insisting that people who've started cutting themselves are just making a bad decision because they can't handle reality.

Where you're right is that nobody's entitled to sex or romance or friendship. I mean, I prefer to say that nobody's obligated to provide those things, but that's splitting hairs. But it's one thing to say "Hey, this demand you're making on everyone else is just going to drive them away and drive you further into unhappiness", and another to say, "And it's your fault to begin with for making yourself unattractive." One's the sort of unpleasant honesty that people often need in their lives; the other is mostly satisfying your own just-world compulsion.

EDIT: In much the same way that a person's insistence that obesity is perfectly healthy is an attempt to satisfy their own just-world beliefs because they don't believe they've done anything wrong. For what that comparison is worth.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 07:31:43 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87741 on: October 15, 2015, 07:39:51 am »

I can get what you're saying, but there is a really odd wave of people at the moment who like to pretend that every stigma associated with obesity and fat people is purely social in origin, IE discrimination, and that being fat is somehow completely ok, to the point that they deny any of the several tons (eheheh) of medical problems that stem from obesity, which is a very dangerous mentality, specially when its pushed onto children.

This, in turn, helps to create the assumption that it is somehow unfair of people not wanting to be romantically involved with obese people, since according to such ideology, all stigma associated with obesity is based purely on social constructs. I mean, sure, there are many people out there who suffer from disorders that keep them from maintaining a healthy weight, but these, as far as we know, are the exception, rather than the rule, and the majority of overweight people today are overweight due to poor living habits.

EDIT: I got edit ninja'd.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #87742 on: October 15, 2015, 07:47:38 am »

I'll grant the point about financial problems obliquely--it's less about not having the money for food and more about the way that food deserts tend to map pretty accurately onto low-income areas. Inexpensive and healthful food is available, just generally not in areas where poorer people live.

BMI is heritable to a certain degree, but that's not a guarantee of obesity--an individual still needs to pursue unhealthy behaviors.

Work on obesity-related gene–environment interactions is still in its infancy. The evidence so far suggests that genetic predisposition is not destiny—many people who carry so-called “obesity genes” do not become overweight. Rather, it seems that eating a healthy diet and getting enough exercise may counteract some of the gene-related obesity risk.

In 2008, for example, Andreasen and colleagues demonstrated that physical activity offsets the effects of one obesity-promoting gene, a common variant of FTO. The study, conducted in 17,058 Danes, found that people who carried the obesity-promoting gene, and who were inactive, had higher BMIs than people without the gene variant who were inactive. Having a genetic predisposition to obesity did not seem to matter, however, for people who were active: Their BMIs were no higher or lower than those of people who did not have the obesity gene.

We already have an excellent example of this sort of situation: alcoholism. It's many sources include genetic predisposition, &c. &c., but simply having that predisposition is insufficient to cause an individual to become alcoholic--they may fall into it easier and faster, but they must still choose to partake repeatedly and heavily. Even if you have to buy crappy food from crappy places with absolutely no recourse, you can still take steps to minimize the harm by purchasing the least unhealthful foods. Some of my old co-workers lived in pretty bad straits, and most of them had vegetable gardens to supplement their diets.

If you're not painfully impoverished, you had to make conscious decisions to repeatedly and continually engage in unhealthy behavior in order to become obese, just as an alcoholic does. And yet, when an alcoholic has made a mess of their body and life because of their problem, you don't see people springing to defend their behavior as perfectly natural, wholly out of their control, or even trying to rebrand them as the ideal.

It's hard to crawl back up out of a pit like that, but that doesn't mean that people should be allowed to drag others down with them or paint over the problem and pretend that it's a good thing, especially when they're children who aren't capable of effectively resisting being made to live unhealthy lives. That last one pisses me off for much the same reason that cigarette companies marketing to kids does.

Not mock people who are either content with their lives or trying to improve? Certainly! But that's not the same thing as feeding delusions, which is no more responsible than agreeing with an alcoholic that, "Yeah, you don't have a problem at all! Here, let's go drinking tonight!"

3. Run Resize Enable

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87743 on: October 15, 2015, 08:06:52 am »

cigarette companies marketing to kids
Wait wait wait what ?  O___O
Where on earth is that a thing and how can I destroy that place ?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87744 on: October 15, 2015, 08:15:02 am »

America. And feel free to nuke my home country.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87745 on: October 15, 2015, 08:19:56 am »

Here's a couple documentaries covering the subject (among other issues with the tobacco industry's practices):
https://tobaccofreeaz.wordpress.com/2014/05/16/documentary-exposes-tobacco-industry-marketing/
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/tobacco-conspiracy/

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87746 on: October 15, 2015, 08:24:08 am »

@Smoking: Life long customers, best business sense.  Ain't much of anything else.

@The Obese: Ain't usually something that'll float people's boats.

Edit: apparently when you google 'chrome' on yahoo, it'll show a buncha ads that lead to who knows where.  Bing at the least has the decency to not show unaffiliated ads.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 09:06:45 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #87747 on: October 15, 2015, 10:14:09 am »

-snip-
Sure, and you're tilting at a bit of a windmill here. What I'm saying is, you care a lot about making this about who's at fault. It just seems more reasonable to me to say to people, "Yeah, you got fucked, and that sucks, but nobody owes you a solution and you're the only one who can fix it, and none of that's changed by how much you deserve a solution". Both you and the person trying to change the ideals and portray it as being wholly outside of their control are way too hung up on what people deserve, because you think it matters for some reason.

Thing is, it seems reasonable to me to qualify as "you got fucked" the psychological problems that lead people to eat compulsively or as a cheap sort of self-medication. Ditto the metabolism efficiency that can make one person gain weight on the same diet another loses weight on, because it screws with the "Calories out" part of the usual simplistic motto. And it doesn't seem fair to me to say that if two people make the same decisions, one should be called irresponsible and the other responsible based solely on the outcome.

I could go on, but it doesn't really matter what I think is fair or what you think is fair. Reality doesn't give a shit. So what, exactly, do you think victim-blaming is going to accomplish, here? Other than to make you feel good for being smart and objective and rational. And other than making the other people in your tribe feel good when they hear you and think to themselves, "Yeah, this guy gets it." Is it going to help you convince people who don't already agree? Is it going to motivate people to change their behavior? Has that literally ever happened?

Or is it just going to convince people that you're an asshole who doesn't really want to help, and whose words should therefore be disregarded? Because it doesn't matter what you think is fair. It doesn't matter how many facts you have. If you're going to give people an emotional motivation to do the wrong thing, you've misunderstood how facts are supposed to be used, and are unfairly inflating your ego.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:36:36 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #87749 on: October 15, 2015, 10:21:17 am »

-snip-

(Okay, this might have been a bit too mean.)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:25:32 am by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 5848 5849 [5850] 5851 5852 ... 10973