Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5915 5916 [5917] 5918 5919 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13200258 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #88740 on: October 28, 2015, 02:24:48 pm »

Maybe tumblr users are secretly all IS supporters?

Of course they are. Because the Islamic State isn't white.
I feel like you actually believe this.

You don't even have a Tumblr do you?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88741 on: October 28, 2015, 02:32:20 pm »

Seems more like a poke at the tendency for young American leftists to support radical Islam because Islam is a minority in America.  With no regard for what actual Islamic Americans generally support, or the ideals radical Islamists support.

It's pretty embarrassing as a mostly-liberal.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88742 on: October 28, 2015, 02:35:04 pm »

What the hell, it's been over an hour with the door open, and I still smell burning electronics.
If its your computer, its cooling probably isn't working.

The two main offenders for this are dust, or a lack of fans.  Assuming you started with the correct number of fans, one of them might be broken, or clogged.  Probably clogged with dust.

For a PC, you can take a little can of compressed air, open up the case, and blow all the dust out.  For a laptop, you might want to buy a cooling pad, seeing as how some laptops aren't exactly designed to be taken apart by the user.

Well, no, it's not the cooling, I simply accidentally almost burned my computer down.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88743 on: October 28, 2015, 02:40:11 pm »

My history teacher needs to learn how to write all the directions he expects us to follow.  I mean, seriously.  If he wants us to print x document, then answer questions on said, he should not just say "answer these questions which are online".
I'm just glad I had time to actually resubmit the thing before the due time.  And somewhat annoyed that I had to.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #88744 on: October 28, 2015, 03:12:33 pm »

Well bugger, I just noticed that my old hard drive is incompatible* with the new motherboard. And that's after nearly an hour of pulling out the old motherboard and fitting the new one in.

*Reason for incompatability: New motherboard doesn't have a connector for an IDE cable. Old hard drive doesn't have a connector for a SATA cable, only IDE. While adapters exist that are suitable until I order the new hard drive, who knows I probably have one laying around, it'll still take time for it to arrive.

You're going to want to get a SATA drive as soon as you can afford it, as IDE is completely obsolete and the slower transfer speed will make a lot of gaming (and general computing) much less enjoyable due to load time, but as a temporary measure they sell PCI cards with an IDE header for not all that much cash ($18-20). Once you replace that drive, however, format and Ebay it - old IDE hard drives are getting pretty rare and are needed for a lot of older equipment (for one thing, they're essential if you want to do some special things with Ps2 or XboX original flavor consoles), so they're starting to fetch a decent amount of money if they have a decent capacity.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88745 on: October 28, 2015, 03:16:18 pm »

I intend to do that, but I still need the old HD until the new one arrives(ETA: next paycheck). And I need to get everything off the old HD as well; it's probably on the tail end of it's lifecycle(it's about 7 years old), assuming I didn't just kill it with fire(or EMP).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88746 on: October 28, 2015, 03:19:27 pm »

@Lord Shonus
No kidding?  I have a few IDE drives I've been leaving old data on.  Been meaning to store the data (via IDE-SATA adapter), but they still work since they've just been sitting unused.  I think my dad has a pile, actually.

Either way, I should get around to putting that data in a more modern medium.  So I can access it readily, if nothing else.
(In at least 1.5 places, for safety.  With the cloud counting as .5, heh)
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #88747 on: October 28, 2015, 03:25:28 pm »

@Lord Shonus
No kidding?  I have a few IDE drives I've been leaving old data on.  Been meaning to store the data (via IDE-SATA adapter), but they still work since they've just been sitting unused.  I think my dad has a pile, actually.

Either way, I should get around to putting that data in a more modern medium.  So I can access it readily, if nothing else.
(In at least 1.5 places, for safety.  With the cloud counting as .5, heh)

They're not insanely valuable, but a 500GB drive is going for between $20-$50 right now, which is worth the effort of selling.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #88748 on: October 28, 2015, 03:27:22 pm »

One of the things I've noticed from too many years shitposting on the internet is that I've seen more people kill themselves as a result of putting too much of their heart in unhealthy ways to unhealthy people in unhealthy communities than I've seen kill themselves because someone told them to. Tumblr, old /b/, facebook; damn.
Yeah, really.  The people who drove that lady to suicide were terrible, in that their criticism was terrible.  Which is mostly the fault of their echo chamber, and their fault for lazily subscribing to it without freethinking.

But nobody should commit suicide based on what some people online say.  Online friends turning on you is one thing, but a bunch of jerks who decide to inanely criticize you?  Should just be ignored or toyed with.

On the internet, strangers are monsters until proven otherwise.
Anyway, I do agree with Rolan in that shitty people on the internet are no reason to commit suicide, even if they have some really warped idea of how the world should work and basically think their fandom is more important than actual human beings. This is one of the reasons I distanced myself from the homestuck crowd, because more often then not they're way creepier and more toxic than touhou fans, and touhou fans spend a lot of their time looking at underage girl armpits :v!

I don't think you understand the effect extended and constant "criticism" of this sort will have on your health and value of self.
Love, scriver~

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88749 on: October 28, 2015, 03:31:44 pm »

I do, actualy, but for me its absolutely no reason to commit suicide. Having that kind of dire response to constant criticism and harasment suggest the presence of underlying problems which makes a person more vulnerable to such things. I've met several people who got shit on nearly on a daily basis by their own family and still got through it. Different people react differently to the same behavior/stimuli. What causes some people to suicide may only annoy others.

This, of course, does not diminish in any way the responsibility of the harassers, who did have a good idea that it would lead to something like this, given the victim's past response to that stimuli.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88750 on: October 28, 2015, 03:42:18 pm »

Oh hey, I think I found where I screwed up, and it wasn't the power switch pins. I somehow plugged a 4-pin power connector to a 3-pin spot labeled "JCH FAN", with the fourth pin coming from the next spot over labled "SPEAKER CSPK". I guess I burnt out the chassis fan under the motherboard, since that's where the smoke(and a hell of a lot of dust) was.

Doesn't help that the speaker pins appeared as though they were part of the same line of pins as the fan.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #88751 on: October 28, 2015, 03:42:38 pm »

I do, actualy, but for me its absolutely no reason to commit suicide. Having that kind of dire response to constant criticism and harasment suggest the presence of underlying problems which makes a person more vulnerable to such things. I've met several people who got shit on nearly on a daily basis by their own family and still got through it. Different people react differently to the same behavior/stimuli. What causes some people to suicide may only annoy others.
I fully agree, it is absolutely no reason to commit suicide.

I don't think you understand the effect extended and constant "criticism" of this sort will have on your health and value of self.
Especially considering much of Western teenagers spend a considerable if not majority of active waking hours online.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88752 on: October 28, 2015, 03:47:24 pm »

@TempAcc
Yeah.  The internet is full of assholes who will criticize *whatever*.  They have no limits, no honor.  They simply feed on putting people down.
In light of ninja's, I'll clarify:  Internet people are no reason to feel bad whatsoever, much less feel that bad.

Realize and accept that, and the internet is a fine place.  I never cared when my works were criticized...  Well, past a fleeting "Wait, this person literally does not matter".  I only cared about getting positive recognition.  Maybe I cared about that too much, hard to say, but it did drive me to produce more.

And I did care about the criticism of *certain* people.  People who had proved their worth.  Sometimes I cared a lot...  But a *stranger's* opinion is literally worthless, online.  It's worthless in person, too, but in person a person tends to be complimentary out of politeness.  To avoid awkwardness.

Related, I'm trying my best to get back into said production.  For practice and for recognition, because the holidays are going to literally fray my soul.  But turns out projects change a lot over almost 2 years...
She/they

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #88753 on: October 28, 2015, 04:32:40 pm »

It's very naive to think that everybody can just "deal with it", just like that, especially if they're in a bad situation, and reminds me of a lot of bullshit I have faced irl.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88754 on: October 28, 2015, 05:29:50 pm »

Isn't that what LW said? It's not plain harassment that does it, it's being harassed from a source that you've invested a lot of your sense of self into.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 5915 5916 [5917] 5918 5919 ... 10984