Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6051 6052 [6053] 6054 6055 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12997754 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #90780 on: November 25, 2015, 03:37:35 pm »

Heh, I suspect we have a disproportionate representation of the last item here. And generally internet-savvy people, which is why you'll pretty much never see identifying information except for people who pride themselves on having nothing to hide. By and large, when people worry about personal information they're more worried about offline people finding out about online stuff, not the other way around - which is an entirely different kettle of fish to worrying about being traced from online to offline. I mean, I barely even try to be secure and I doubt anyone could accurately work out anything I haven't specifically said, but someone with access to my computer could trivially determine that I am in fact Arx.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #90781 on: November 25, 2015, 03:45:57 pm »

I used to hide a lot more things, but I've decided that fuck it -- the powers that be already know. I pretty much assume anything I write, text, post, etc is winding up in a database somewhere. The trick now is to overwhelm the system with spurious data, like the Belgians did the other day.

There is safety in shitposting.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90782 on: November 25, 2015, 04:26:42 pm »

Yeah, pretty much it's that anyone who knew me could determine that Graknorke is me, but someone offline trying to find me would have a hard time pinning down exactly who it was. Maybe they could get it down to 50 at best.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90783 on: November 25, 2015, 04:56:15 pm »

Well, they know you're not with Daesh, at least. "A bomb's a bad choice for close range combat."

Training troops only to have them kill themselves (especially just to hurt civilians) is spectacularly stupid, and you would think they would have learned that lesson from the Japanese kamikaze attacks in WWII. Not only did it deplete their roster of skilled pilots (leading to increased casualties and lost air battles due to inexperienced pilots facing combat veterans), they couldn't afford to be throwing away their planes like that either.

The only reason it's having any effect at all is because people are freaking out and getting all panicky out of proportion to the actual (minimal) risk to their lives. "Electing a fascist in America who promptly nukes us" probably isn't what they want to happen, either. Of course, Trump hasn't said he would do that... But he's a "winner," and that's the quickest, flashiest way to "win" against Daesh.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90784 on: November 25, 2015, 05:01:11 pm »

Difference is that suicide bombers don't have to be good at anything. They can be children or infirm "civilians", doesn't really matter so long as they can carry a few extra kg and flip a switch.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #90785 on: November 25, 2015, 05:05:20 pm »

Mm. I don't really care that much about keeping the online -> offline path closed because, as RedKing said, the people who really matter already know. I'm certain I've shared enough personal information with various people here to identify me... so, what? Yay, an utterly unimportant drama-avoidant grad student is now connected to an utterly unimportant drama-avoidant online persona. I'm fortunate enough to have the luxury of not really caring what people think about me.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #90786 on: November 25, 2015, 05:05:42 pm »

Yeah I'm not really trying to hide my identity.  I've posted pictures, and linked to other accounts.
I *should*, with the sort of stuff I've shared, but I feel like that ship has sailed.
Edit:  Frankly, living with a computer expert for a father left me with a "If I put it on a computer, it's not private" mentality.

There might be a Fn-Lock combo somewhere which would toggle it?
I was looking for that, but couldn't find a Fn-lock key on its keyboard.  I've seen them before, but not this time.

gateway laptop?  probably has the setting hidden away in BIOS I just fail at reading apparently

also: cortana has never worked for me, hasn't even come up, think it has something to do with region settings and system language and all that.
I fail at finding your fail at reading...  I did go into the BIOS and toggle it to the behavior I'm used to (which was maybe presumptuous of me but meh) but I didn't actually say I did that.

I was originally trying to get into the BIOS to access the recovery partition.  Which suddenly became unnecessary...  Weird but good!

And I can't stand Aero, much less Windows 8/10.  I haven't actually tried Cortana, but I'm kinda annoyed that it shares the name of a character I really like...  When I expect to hate it.  Meh, I'm hoping I can hang on to Windows 7 (customized to look like Windows 2000) for the foreseeable future.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90787 on: November 25, 2015, 05:10:03 pm »

Good* news! Cortana's evil in Halo 5! Or so I hear. I haven't played it. :P

* obvious sarcasm
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #90788 on: November 25, 2015, 05:30:05 pm »

holy shit guitar hero live uses the stupid fucking "you can upgrade your stats with non-microtransaction money but literally every other thing you can buy with non-microtransaction money can also be bought with microtransaction money so saying it's not pay2win is bullshit" thing league of legends has

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #90789 on: November 25, 2015, 06:06:44 pm »

holy shit guitar hero live uses the stupid fucking "you can upgrade your stats with non-microtransaction money but literally every other thing you can buy with non-microtransaction money can also be bought with microtransaction money so saying it's not pay2win is bullshit" thing league of legends has
Eh. Keep calm and play Rocksmith. Or gigs, if you're too good for that.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #90790 on: November 25, 2015, 06:13:06 pm »

i don't play guitar hero to play guitar i play it to play a rhythm game

i bought the damn game already, too, don't nickel-and-dime, goddamn

at least they're a bit more generous than league (I.E about 3 free plays to get enough in-game currency for a paid play; free plays you have no choice as to what song you're playing, and all this only applies to the DLC library, which uses this system instead of the standard pay-to-play-a-song-at-all system)

...you know what actually explaining it makes it WAY better, league's system when done right is greatly preferable to straight-up paid DLC in games you already bought, Street Fighter V is doing the same thing

like they added a few DLC songs today (Judas Priest's Painkiller, SOAD's Toxicity) and I could just, like, play them, that was nice

...which isn't how league does it at all, huh.  I mean, the microtransaction setup is the same, but how you actually get the money and what you can do without it are way different and actually a big improvement.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #90791 on: November 25, 2015, 06:36:26 pm »

Good* news! Cortana's evil in Halo 5! Or so I hear. I haven't played it. :P

* obvious sarcasm
They already revealed this with the release of Windows 10. :P
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #90792 on: November 25, 2015, 07:40:32 pm »

RE: privacy:

To be honest, if anybody can track down my real identity beyond the shadow of a doubt by piecing together the clues from 6+ years of playing games and posting on forums under the name "itisnotlogical" (and variants), they're welcome to that information.

And besides, if anybody identifies me by interviewing people I played Minecraft with and cross-referencing that with my World of Warcraft account, so what? They know the name and face of... a college student in Oregon who spends way too much time playing games on the Internet. big. fucking. whoop. for them.

My WTF for today:

People are (supposedly) going apeshit over a graphics mod for the new Battlefront game. To me, it just looks like a low-contrast filter, but I've seen plenty of comments sections and forum threads praising it as if it were the way the game should have been released. I haven't played the game so maybe somebody can share if I'm wrong, but the screenshots don't reveal to me why it's such a life-changing revelation.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90793 on: November 25, 2015, 07:44:41 pm »

Didn't you hear? You can't have a shooter without it being washed out grey/brown. Those are the rules.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #90794 on: November 25, 2015, 07:49:32 pm »

I have decided that I want pet ferrets. Only problem is, I have nowhere to keep them, nor do I have the time to look after them. Ferret-proofing the house would be a pain in the backside too.

I am now sad.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.
Pages: 1 ... 6051 6052 [6053] 6054 6055 ... 10973