Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6226 6227 [6228] 6229 6230 ... 10981

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13153182 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #93405 on: January 06, 2016, 09:10:47 pm »

Ah, WarForums. Only Winning Move Is Not To Comment.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93406 on: January 06, 2016, 09:11:19 pm »

Ah, WarForums. Only Winning Move Is Not To Comment. to make ALL THE COMMENTS AT ONCE.
FTFY.
Also, sigging.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93407 on: January 06, 2016, 09:11:44 pm »

why I was actually in here

Thanks for the support. 2016 shall be the year humanity regrows the planet! For one needs a forest to fuel the masterwork industry! Hippy industrialists ftw
Hey, here's hoping.  Green economics are the most sustainable, and thus offer the best return on investment.  The monolith that is a federal government is responsible for adopting such long-term strategies.  Let us hope it does.
- Lady Deidre Sky, "Thoughts on How Earth Went to Shit"
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #93408 on: January 06, 2016, 09:12:20 pm »

I feel like a power fantasy game can be that without having an annoying donut steel character for a protagonist. There is a difference between shitty characters and powerful ones, and it's even possible to have an enjoyable Mary Sue character, provided the acting and writing remain exceptional. Look at Captain Picard!

Indeed food supply isn't the problem.  It's pretty much all food transport.  Not everywhere in the world has massive multi billion dollar highway systems that can be used to quickly and cheaply transport food.  Not everyplace has airports large enough to accommodate cargo planes, or shores capable of letting cargo ships dock.

There are still places in the world where transporting something still takes weeks, if not longer.  And those somethings can't be much bigger than what can fit on the back of a jeep, a riverboat, or a helicopter, nevermind keeping that stuff frozen for the trip.

Hell, screw highways, railways are far more efficient.

You know, its toobad that solar-powered cargo airships never got off the ground. There was a company that was making them (or atleast prepairing to) and everything...

-ninja x3-

There was a fourth conversation.

The issue with airships is that they either need to use hydrogen, and be bombs, or use helium, and be incredibly expensive with a nonrenewable basis of function.

Ninja x5
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93409 on: January 06, 2016, 09:15:54 pm »

Okay that article is interesting and all, but NO.  It reports that, in *some* parts of the world, the albedo effect (having dark trees which absorb light rather than light-colored ground) MAY counteract the conversion of greenhouse gas (CO2) to O2, and the creation of clouds by pulling moisture back out of the ground.

I can believe that's true, LOCALLY, in some parts of the world.  But they don't say that trees in general are a "detrimental influence on global warming".  Except in very specific cases, and locally.
No, they didn't say that, but what they did say that global temperatures would actually go down if all the trees were cut down (not by much and we'd all die of carbon dioxide poisoning, but still) while intensuio said that you could just defeat global warming by planting trees/shrubs/vines everywhere, which I thought was incorrect because it would only work if you tried to expand the more tropical areas, while in other places, it pretty much wouldn't do anything at all.
... You're right.  Hate to admit it, but that was their finding.  Perplexing, but thanks for mentioning the CO2 poisoning.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93410 on: January 06, 2016, 09:29:47 pm »

The issue with airships is that they either need to use hydrogen, and be bombs, or use helium, and be incredibly expensive with a nonrenewable basis of function.

To be frank it's probably less of an issue that they would be flying bombs (modern design could easily counter that one way or another) but the fact they are so damn slow so it's either several weeks (if not months) in a blimp or 1 day in an airplane.

No one ain't got time for this. The royal family or filthy rich inheritors/aristocrats with nothing better to do would take a blimp rife from London to New York once or twice before they get bored and giving a deathblow to the blimp airways.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #93411 on: January 06, 2016, 09:31:55 pm »

-snip-
Yeah, to be clear, I don't necessarily have anything against nonhuman characters. It's just that, as far as potential warning signs for Sue-isms go, furry characters tend to correlate pretty strongly, since they're a fairly popular speshul snowflake trait among people who are into that. I've developed a pretty good instinct for this sort of thing (probably from learning to identify the same shit in fanfiction and novels I'm unfamiliar with in as little time as possible). Boring or otherwise cliched characters I can handle, because you can usually twist them into something interesting (hell, half my fun in RP comes from taking an archetype and breaking it), but when the starting point is someone's power/sexual fantasy it's hard to go right.

@Flying Dice: I remember that. That really sucked man, I feel for you. I was really excited when I saw that you were trying to bring Quest style gameplay over to Bay12, and it was sad seeing what happened with the playerbase.
It's sad, because Quest-style play is hands-down the most interesting sort of forum game to me, but in retrospect I probably shouldn't be surprised that it thrives best on /tg/ (and via /tg/'s /a/mmigrants) and Spacebattles/Sufficient Velocity, since their respective core interests are more closely aligned with narrative-driven play.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93412 on: January 06, 2016, 09:33:02 pm »

Hydrogen is actually safer than people make it sound. It actually takes some effort (and some oxygen) to get a gasbag of it to explode.

Course, its about the levels of "Hollywood vehicles" VS "real life vehicles", but still.

-ninja edit-

With cargo time is less of an issue, and with using the jetstreams... what was it, 75mph winds? Anyways, using that to help, its round the world in a day or three.

-ninja edit-

Closer to 100mph, aparently.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93413 on: January 06, 2016, 09:34:00 pm »

No there's that military contractor type making cargo blimps for the british army that run at equal to air pressure  or something like that, so if there's some sort of breach to it, the gas doesn't all rush out. And being lower pressure means it doesn't conflagrate quite as spectacularly.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93414 on: January 06, 2016, 09:37:16 pm »

African bullfrogs are crazy.

I can't say I've ever seen an amphibian do more than run away. This was actually pretty awesome to watch. Warning, there is blood.

Let's see. He gets bitten. Then he sticks the bleeding finger right back in the frog's face. Pure genius.

And then he gets bit again.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93415 on: January 06, 2016, 09:44:14 pm »

Hydrogen is actually safer than people make it sound. It actually takes some effort (and some oxygen) to get a gasbag of it to explode.

Course, its about the levels of "Hollywood vehicles" VS "real life vehicles", but still.

-ninja edit-

With cargo time is less of an issue, and with using the jetstreams... what was it, 75mph winds? Anyways, using that to help, its round the world in a day or three.

-ninja edit-

Closer to 100mph, aparently.
Pff, just use a vacuum.  Won't explode, no need to collect hydrogen or helium.
Just need to engineer a vacuum container the size of...  Well, I guess significantly smaller than a blimp gasbag, but still.  "Probably impractical because it's obvious".

WTF:  "Gasbag" is a recognized word?  Hell I was making a casual obscure Unreal reference, didn't know it was a thing as one word.  (Thought the proper term would be "gas bag").
She/they

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #93416 on: January 06, 2016, 09:58:12 pm »

It's sad, because Quest-style play is hands-down the most interesting sort of forum game to me, but in retrospect I probably shouldn't be surprised that it thrives best on /tg/ (and via /tg/'s /a/mmigrants) and Spacebattles/Sufficient Velocity, since their respective core interests are more closely aligned with narrative-driven play.
... huh. Does FG&RP really not have any/many quest-style things running? I... I'll admit I only end up over there when I wander into particular threads via other links (usually from OOCQs), but I kinda' expected there to at least be a couple or somethin'. Guess the one or two I'd been half-heartedly thinking about trying to run will be further shelved, aheh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93417 on: January 06, 2016, 10:00:35 pm »

... huh. Does FG&RP really not have any/many quest-style things running? I... I'll admit I only end up over there when I wander into particular threads via other links (usually from OOCQs), but I kinda' expected there to at least be a couple or somethin'. Guess the one or two I'd been half-heartedly thinking about trying to run will be further shelved, aheh.
you kidding? you'd be filling a gap in game interests. you'd get a full house of players nearly instantly. probably a 5 player waitlist on top of it.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93418 on: January 06, 2016, 10:01:19 pm »

you kidding? you'd be filling a gap in game interests. you'd get a full house of players nearly instantly. probably a 5 player waitlist on top of it.
Interest shown.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93419 on: January 06, 2016, 10:17:07 pm »

Huh. What does "Quest-style" refer to here? Never heard of it.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.
Pages: 1 ... 6226 6227 [6228] 6229 6230 ... 10981