Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6239 6240 [6241] 6242 6243 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12998145 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #93600 on: January 09, 2016, 05:07:36 pm »

Ah, my mistook. Me no see see, yes?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #93601 on: January 09, 2016, 05:10:40 pm »

Playing around with recursion. Wrote a program that simulates a game of tower of hanoi based on a number input by the user, which determines how many discs are used.

Then made a set of data from 1 to 20 discs, finding that each iteration increases on the last iteration's total moves by 2x+1, where x is the total of moves in the last iteration. This can be made into a recursive function of f(x)=2f(x)+1.

Then wrote a program to calculate the total number of moves for any number of disks put in by the user, also using recursion and the function stated above. The output matched the data sets I have for disks 1 to 20. 1 disc takes 1 turn. 2 discs take 3 turns. 3 discs take 7 turns. etc. 20 discs take 1,048,575 turns.

The legend is that monks have a gameboard with 64 disks. When they complete the game the world ends. My calculator program calculates that a game with 64 disks will take:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
which in words is
and assuming each turn takes 1 second then it would take
to finish the game, from start to finish, assuming no mistakes are made during the game that would require a restart.

Math is kinda fun. Slightly disappointed that the wikipedia page already has all that calculated, takes the wind out of my sails a bit. Thinking about trying to run my simulator through a game of 64 discs.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #93602 on: January 09, 2016, 05:12:18 pm »

tower of hanoi takes 2n-1 steps to finish, where n is the number of discs in play

doing that equation ought to be MUCH faster than recursion; AFAIK, recursion for exponential functions is actually exponential time in and of itself; the fibonacci function is probably the most famous example of an exponential time exponential function

with that equation above is one step; heck, in computers, it's even easier, since the number is easily defined defined in binary:

Code: [Select]
hanoi(1)==1
hanoi(2)==11
hanoi(3)==111
hanoi(4)==1111
hanoi(5)==11111
hanoi(6)==111111

hanoi(n) is equivalent to the maximum integer that can be stored in n bits.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 05:18:16 pm by Putnam »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #93603 on: January 09, 2016, 05:25:47 pm »

Numbers are silly.

1 one
10 ten
100 one hundred
1,000 one thousand
10,000 ten thousand
100,000 one hundred thousand
1,000,000 one million
10,000,000 ten million
100,000,000 one hundred million
1,000,000,000 should be one thousand million but no! One billion
1,000,000,000,000 should be a billion (one million million) but it's one trillion

Silliness. I blame bankers.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93604 on: January 09, 2016, 05:27:43 pm »

Slightly confused feelings right now. There's a cute girl at work that I sorta liked, but mostly lost interest after I heard her talking about her boyfriend. Over the past couple of weeks, I could have sworn I saw her giving me looks out of the corner of my eyes, but since I knew she had a boyfriend, I simply assumed right away I was imagining it and disregarded. No sense in tormenting myself, after all. So far, I've generally been avoiding her gaze, since making direct eye contact more than necessary is especially awkward with her.

Today I certainly did not imagine her staring at me for a good several seconds(or longer, wasn't paying attention to the passage of time) in the break room during the lunch break.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #93605 on: January 09, 2016, 05:32:54 pm »

There's long form and short form with numbers. Long form (i.e. a million is a thousand thousands, a billion is a million millions, and a trillion is a billion billions) used to be standard, but then the Americans were all like, "nuh uh short form's better" and everyone else sort of went along with it in case you decided we were crypto-communists or something.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #93606 on: January 09, 2016, 05:34:58 pm »

tower of hanoi takes 2n-1 steps to finish, where n is the number of discs in play

doing that equation ought to be MUCH faster than recursion; AFAIK, recursion for exponential functions is actually exponential time in and of itself; the fibonacci function is probably the most famous example of an exponential time exponential function

with that equation above is one step; heck, in computers, it's even easier, since the number is easily defined defined in binary:

hanoi(n) is equivalent to the maximum integer that can be stored in n bits.
The hanoi thing was just something I tried out after reading about it in a book. After writing the example recursive program in the book (the simulator) I wanted to see if I could calculate how many turns it would take for the 64 disc game. Doing that I found the 2x+1 relation between turn totals, and found I could use that in a recursive program to calculate the turns. I guess +1 could be an inaccuracy based on my data.

I was basically playing with math and recursion and programming in my room for an hour or two without looking any of this stuff up. I had fun.

The calculator program was pretty fast.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 05:38:31 pm by Spehss _ »
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #93607 on: January 09, 2016, 05:37:07 pm »

There's long form and short form with numbers. Long form (i.e. a million is a thousand thousands, a billion is a million millions, and a trillion is a billion billions) used to be standard, but then the Americans were all like, "nuh uh short form's better" and everyone else sort of went along with it in case you decided we were crypto-communists or something.
scientific notation is life. 4.2*10^2 ignite it.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93608 on: January 09, 2016, 05:40:46 pm »

Slightly confused feelings right now. There's a cute girl at work that I sorta liked, but mostly lost interest after I heard her talking about her boyfriend. Over the past couple of weeks, I could have sworn I saw her giving me looks out of the corner of my eyes, but since I knew she had a boyfriend, I simply assumed right away I was imagining it and disregarded. No sense in tormenting myself, after all. So far, I've generally been avoiding her gaze, since making direct eye contact more than necessary is especially awkward with her.

Today I certainly did not imagine her staring at me for a good several seconds(or longer, wasn't paying attention to the passage of time) in the break room during the lunch break.

You're eye candy. Enjoy being eye candy, ascend into pure savagery, or put in your two weeks notice.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93609 on: January 09, 2016, 06:19:30 pm »

Maybe you had spinach stuck between your teeth.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #93610 on: January 09, 2016, 07:11:24 pm »

I was watching GDQ because some runner I follow was running R&C:UYA, but I hadn't looked at his stream in a while.

When he got to a specific part he announced one of the hardest tricks in the game, and did fucking skrunchless.

last time i was in his stream skrunchless was basically an in-joke, a trick that saved like fifteen seconds (the WR is 33:01 right now, to give some context) and was considered to be an inconsistent gimmick forever. i did a double take.

D'you have a link of this moment, by chance?
I don't, sadly. Dunno when the videos will be up on YouTube.

I mean, the trick doesn't even look that fancy, but it was still pretty strange.

Also the runner is a professional opera singer so there was an incentive for him to sing on stream, which he did. It was great.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #93611 on: January 09, 2016, 07:36:08 pm »

Considering the amount of gdq videos I've seen show up over the past week, I'd guess within a couple days of the run.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #93612 on: January 09, 2016, 08:30:49 pm »

This is the one time I'll concede that the American way is better. Only because now each prefix maps neatly to a multiple of three.

Thousand = 103
Million = 106
Billion = 109
etc.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93613 on: January 09, 2016, 08:32:21 pm »

This is the one time I'll concede that the American way is better. Only because now each prefix maps neatly to a multiple of three.

Thousand = 103
Million = 106
Billion = 109
etc.
Isn't that how SI prefixes work too?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93614 on: January 09, 2016, 08:37:47 pm »

You're eye candy. Enjoy being eye candy, ascend into pure savagery, or put in your two weeks notice.
Maybe you had spinach stuck between your teeth.

Sadly, I doubt either of these is true. I never eat spinach, so I'm just as likely to have a singularity lodged in my teeth. Though that would be a plausible explanation of how the spinach got there...

As for being eye candy, I'd laugh at that if doing so wouldn't hurt so very much. And there's no way in hell I'll quit because of confusion over whether or not a girl likes me or not. That, plus a great deal of discrimination, is why I left my previous job.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 6239 6240 [6241] 6242 6243 ... 10973