Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6321 6322 [6323] 6324 6325 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13138720 times)

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #94830 on: January 30, 2016, 06:16:53 pm »

Prebuilt laptop. Windows 10
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
It's FEF, not FEOF

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94832 on: January 30, 2016, 06:20:40 pm »

Oh? How interesting.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #94833 on: January 30, 2016, 06:21:40 pm »

Prebuilt laptop. Windows 10
Who made the laptop?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #94834 on: January 30, 2016, 06:23:32 pm »

Sig text

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #94835 on: January 30, 2016, 06:47:34 pm »

I'm not usually one to swear in real life or online, but WHY THE FUCK CAN I NOT ACCESS MY FUCKING BIOS????

I have no fucking clue which function key accesses the BIOS, but I REALLY need to know that, because my computer doesn't have fucking UEFI support.

I have wasted over 3 hours on this and restarted my computer at least 50 times. I am REALLY pissed off.

So when you go through the usual Win10 process of Settings->Update & Security->Recovery->Restart->Troubleshoot->Advanced Options->UEFI Firmware Settings->Restart (and voila, BIOS access), the "UEFI Firmware Settings" in the recovery startup menu just isn't there or something? Just in case you didn't know about it, Win10 boots too fast, so there's no "press F1/F2/whatever to access BIOS during boot", you've got to manually get to it with the recovery menu.

I'm not the most technically literate, but I'm trying to get a grasp on whether this is just a lack of knowledge on your part or a specific limitation on the manufacturer's laptops (which, by the way, would be fucking retarded, not letting users access the BIOS).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94836 on: January 30, 2016, 07:03:10 pm »

Google your motherboard to find out what the bios is and what key to be hitting during boot?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #94837 on: January 30, 2016, 07:04:51 pm »

Win10 boots too fast, so there's no "press F1/F2/whatever to access BIOS during boot", you've got to manually get to it with the recovery menu.
While off-topic, this sounds like a great counter-argument to the people who would point to 'but it boots faster!' as a reason to upgrade to the new windows, be it 8 or 10.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94838 on: January 30, 2016, 07:09:14 pm »

...What the hell?  But, you need to be able to access the BIOS when things go wrong!  Like maybe you can't boot all the way into Windows 10 and navigate 8 freakin menu items!?

F2/DEL/whatever probably still works, right, you just have to be spamming it from the get-go?
I mean, it works when there's no hard drive attached.  Seems crazy that Windows should grab so fast, compared to the computer noticing that there's no boot device.

Also it *really* bugs me that they haven't standardized such an important button.  I'm partial to DEL, but F2 is fine too...  Just standardize on something!  A button for boot-device selection would be nice too, instead of "some F-key probably who cares, we are totally designing the first computers evar".
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #94839 on: January 30, 2016, 07:12:36 pm »

This computer converastion popped up in like 5 seconds O.o
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #94840 on: January 30, 2016, 07:29:30 pm »

Ok, I've calmed down a bit.

So when you go through the usual Win10 process of Settings->Update & Security->Recovery->Restart->Troubleshoot->Advanced Options->UEFI Firmware Settings->Restart (and voila, BIOS access), the "UEFI Firmware Settings" in the recovery startup menu just isn't there or something? Just in case you didn't know about it, Win10 boots too fast, so there's no "press F1/F2/whatever to access BIOS during boot", you've got to manually get to it with the recovery menu.

I'm not the most technically literate, but I'm trying to get a grasp on whether this is just a lack of knowledge on your part or a specific limitation on the manufacturer's laptops (which, by the way, would be fucking retarded, not letting users access the BIOS).

That was the first thing I tried. UEFI Firmware settings simply isn't there. None of the workarounds I've seen worked at all.

Google your motherboard to find out what the bios is and what key to be hitting during boot?

I don't even know what motherboard I have.

...What the hell?  But, you need to be able to access the BIOS when things go wrong!  Like maybe you can't boot all the way into Windows 10 and navigate 8 freakin menu items!?

F2/DEL/whatever probably still works, right, you just have to be spamming it from the get-go?
I mean, it works when there's no hard drive attached.  Seems crazy that Windows should grab so fast, compared to the computer noticing that there's no boot device.

Also it *really* bugs me that they haven't standardized such an important button.  I'm partial to DEL, but F2 is fine too...  Just standardize on something!  A button for boot-device selection would be nice too, instead of "some F-key probably who cares, we are totally designing the first computers evar".

I tried all the F-keys. None of them worked. F-11 yielded the boot menu, which didn't help at all. I haven't tried the Del yet.

I agree that it needs standardizing.
Sig text

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94841 on: January 30, 2016, 07:32:30 pm »

Win10 boots too fast, so there's no "press F1/F2/whatever to access BIOS during boot", you've got to manually get to it with the recovery menu.
While off-topic, this sounds like a great counter-argument to the people who would point to 'but it boots faster!' as a reason to upgrade to the new windows, be it 8 or 10.

Ehh? Are you suggesting that Windows 8.1 and 10 could somehow make bioses skip the POST? Because that sounds kind of unlikely, and by unlikely I mean I've upgraded and Windows has never changed my bios settings. I've upgraded from XP to 8 to 8.1 to 10 on my current PC and the bios works the same as always - I also acquired uefi support through duet, but that initializes after the bios and before Windows.

Mine is Del, iirc.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #94842 on: January 30, 2016, 07:35:14 pm »

Pretty sure Win 8/10 does the Apple thing and doesn't actually shut the computer down per se, so even though it's turned off it's not actually turned off.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #94843 on: January 30, 2016, 07:39:09 pm »

Ehh? Are you suggesting that Windows 8.1 and 10 could somehow make bioses skip the POST? Because that sounds kind of unlikely, and by unlikely I mean I've upgraded and Windows has never changed my bios settings. I've upgraded from XP to 8 to 8.1 to 10 on my current PC and the bios works the same as always - I also acquired uefi support through duet, but that initializes after the bios and before Windows.

Mine is Del, iirc.
No, just that if it boots too fast, then it'd end up finishing the post and starting before you could figure out what button to push, and sometimes their entire reason was just 'it boots faster, so it must be a better OS'.

They weren't the best of arguments to be fair, but they were the most common ones I saw elsewhere.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94844 on: January 30, 2016, 07:42:22 pm »

Pretty sure Win 8/10 does the Apple thing and doesn't actually shut the computer down per se, so even though it's turned off it's not actually turned off.
That would be hibernating (power off, memory saved), or sleeping (RAM kept powered with a small charge).  Maybe new Windows defaults to one of those, but it has to reboot sometimes.  For installing updates and such, for one thing.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 6321 6322 [6323] 6324 6325 ... 10980