Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6460 6461 [6462] 6463 6464 ... 10979

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13131968 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #96915 on: February 20, 2016, 09:43:19 pm »

@BlackHeartKabal
I appreciate that... Honestly it's not a huge deal to me, except on rare occasions where it briefly is >.>

Rolan: Wouldn't that make you more agendered (is that even a word?) than genderfluid?
Yes, looks like.  Maybe I would be "neutrois" (I've literally never heard of this before) or simply non-binary.  "Agendered" works too.

Seems like gender-fluid actually means someone whose gender changes over time, and that's not really me.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96916 on: February 20, 2016, 09:43:59 pm »

I myself have noticed that when you're referring to someone and you don't know their gender, then you often don't know if you're only referring to one person. Say, for instance, that you walked into an empty room at school or work and found a plain, undecorated binder filled with papers that do not hint at the identity of the owner in any way. If you did not recognize as the binder of anyone in particular, obviously you can't know if it's owned by a man or a woman, but you also can't know if it's the binder of a group, now can you?
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96917 on: February 20, 2016, 09:57:36 pm »

Why should we give a shit about other folks' genders anyway? What difference does it make whether the post I read was written by hands connected to a body with some dangly or some von Neumann-y bits? Unless I want to bump uglies with them, why should I care what bits the folks I meet every day have?

This whole expansion of the gender nomenclature seems rather like a move to paint over the problem, not a move to solve it. The real problem is that folks care about folks' bits even when there's no need to do so.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #96918 on: February 20, 2016, 10:01:19 pm »

[...]
That's connecting the idea to a lot more than what the idea is. :P The real problem isn't in people overly caring about others' bits, it lies in limitations within that social perception. (As far as I know, anyway)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #96919 on: February 20, 2016, 10:03:05 pm »

You assume I don't plan to sleep with everyone on Earth.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96920 on: February 20, 2016, 10:03:31 pm »

Language directs thought, is the thing.  Using gender-neutral pronouns like "they" de-emphasizes gender, as it should be.  Normal pronouns emphasize it, which may be subconsciously influencing people to care overly much about the "two groups".

It's like 1984 Newspeak except presumably just an unintended evolution.

That's one reason why I have contempt for made-up pronouns like "xi" or whatever...  They convey that someone is special and unique.  *Screw* that, I just want to be normal.  "They" sounds normal.

I want to hug all the people
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96921 on: February 20, 2016, 10:03:49 pm »

Can I sig this?

Also, they is too a third person singular pronoun.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 10:05:49 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #96922 on: February 20, 2016, 10:04:16 pm »

[...]
That's connecting the idea to a lot more than what the idea is. :P The real problem isn't in people overly caring about others' bits, it lies in limitations within that social perception. (As far as I know, anyway)
It also matters in the topic of toilets, since they are more often than not segregated by gender. I've actually seen a judicial case in a school because a trans student got in trouble for going into the female toilet despite being biologically male (also gained the right to be considered a woman in the school's system while at it).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #96923 on: February 20, 2016, 10:04:31 pm »

Can I sig this?

For the nth time, you won't sig it anyway :P
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96924 on: February 20, 2016, 10:07:31 pm »

[...]
It also matters in the topic of toilets, since they are more often than not segregated by gender. I've actually seen a judicial case in a school because a trans student got in trouble for going into the female toilet despite being biologically male (also gained the right to be considered a woman in the school's system while at it).
And there ARE reasons to have gender distinctions.  Like not having incidents of activities that should not happen in public bathrooms occurring.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #96925 on: February 20, 2016, 10:07:57 pm »

Language directs thought, is the thing.  Using gender-neutral pronouns like "they" de-emphasizes gender, as it should be.  Normal pronouns emphasize it, which may be subconsciously influencing people to care overly much about the "two groups".

It's like 1984 Newspeak except presumably just an unintended evolution.

That's one reason why I have contempt for made-up pronouns like "xi" or whatever...  They convey that someone is special and unique.  *Screw* that, I just want to be normal.  "They" sounds normal.

I want to hug all the people
H-hugging!? Platonic displays of affections?!

SCANDALOUS

Can I sig this?

Also, they is too a third person singular pronoun.

Only if you pay royalty fees.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96926 on: February 20, 2016, 10:20:50 pm »

*ka-ching!*
 ;D
Sigtext

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #96927 on: February 20, 2016, 10:23:59 pm »

I just peed a full liter of urine.

It seemed like a lot, so I guess my wtf is I

-peed into bottles
-had a spare bottle
-filled up 2 half-liter bottles

Since most light online articles are saying 400-600ml for 1 'sitting' Im a little offput.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #96928 on: February 20, 2016, 10:29:31 pm »

If you hold it in for a while and your bladder's slightly bigger than average, I can see that happening. Not common, but I wouldn't really be ringing alarm bells until you got to the 1.5-2L mark.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #96929 on: February 20, 2016, 11:44:33 pm »

I recall once as a child I started peeing and just... Just... Didn't stop.
I started, and I went for a good minute, just peeing, it wasn't constant, but it was pretty regular.
Also, it took me a very long time before I realised what people actually meant when they said 'sleep with', I just thought it meant you slept in their bed, which was perfectly understandable by me.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."
Pages: 1 ... 6460 6461 [6462] 6463 6464 ... 10979