Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7040 7041 [7042] 7043 7044 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12997556 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #105615 on: July 08, 2016, 11:52:28 pm »

No crampons, bro.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105616 on: July 08, 2016, 11:53:29 pm »

Fuck winter, summer master race. Don't be hatin' just because you haven't grown your gills and exothermic skin yet.
Yeah, very true. You don't even need those peripherals if you live in a sensible climate where the highs are only, say, 45 degrees!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #105617 on: July 09, 2016, 12:33:22 am »

Forty-five? That must be hell. Down here 30 is considered scorching.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #105618 on: July 09, 2016, 12:34:09 am »

It's down to 28 now, was up in the mid 30's earlier.
Because we didn't have the right tools.
Human inventiveness goes up with population which goes up with habitability and an ice age is damn inhospitable.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #105619 on: July 09, 2016, 12:36:25 am »

Yeah, I'm from Texas, I'm used to walking outside and the air giving you a great big steamy hug.

Cold kills healthy adults, heat kills only those who are already weak and near death
... heat kills healthy adults perfectly fine, max. If you're from texas, you should actually know this. I'm from florida, and heat stroke has been trying to kill me annually since I was a kid. S'come close a few times, too, and we actually do lose healthy folks to it often enough.

Heat also kills crops just fine. Particularly when paired with drought. There's different crops that'll do alright in cold, too. Extreme temperatures either way screws with people and the various things they give damns about. One's a hell of a lot easier to get comfortable in, though, and it damn sure isn't the hot months. We can all move to sane climates, use automated bots to harvest food in the hellzones. That's a future I could get behind.

And yeah, fuck summer. Fuck summer with the bones of every person it's killed, may it drown in the oceans of sweat it drags screaming from the flesh of mankind, strangled in the parched flesh of everyone it's dehydrated.

Or at least florida summer. Any tropical/sub-tropical area, really. I know what hell on earth feels like, and it's called "July" and multiple months on either side of it. What I understand summer in some places is relatively sane, so maybe it's not as bad there, but anywhere even remotely close to the equator it can go shove heat shattered glass up its arse.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #105620 on: July 09, 2016, 12:41:56 am »

Human inventiveness goes up with population which goes up with habitability and an ice age is damn inhospitable.
So's a desert
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #105621 on: July 09, 2016, 12:43:01 am »

So's a desert
Bonus points for the poles, which get to be both!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105622 on: July 09, 2016, 12:56:01 am »

Yeah, I'm from Texas, I'm used to walking outside and the air giving you a great big steamy hug.

Cold kills healthy adults, heat kills only those who are already weak and near death
... heat kills healthy adults perfectly fine, max. If you're from texas, you should actually know this. I'm from florida, and heat stroke has been trying to kill me annually since I was a kid. S'come close a few times, too, and we actually do lose healthy folks to it often enough.

Heat also kills crops just fine. Particularly when paired with drought. There's different crops that'll do alright in cold, too. Extreme temperatures either way screws with people and the various things they give damns about. One's a hell of a lot easier to get comfortable in, though, and it damn sure isn't the hot months. We can all move to sane climates, use automated bots to harvest food in the hellzones. That's a future I could get behind.

And yeah, fuck summer. Fuck summer with the bones of every person it's killed, may it drown in the oceans of sweat it drags screaming from the flesh of mankind, strangled in the parched flesh of everyone it's dehydrated.

Or at least florida summer. Any tropical/sub-tropical area, really. I know what hell on earth feels like, and it's called "July" and multiple months on either side of it. What I understand summer in some places is relatively sane, so maybe it's not as bad there, but anywhere even remotely close to the equator it can go shove heat shattered glass up its arse.

Heat doesn't kill as often, and I know very well what is more dangerous.

People THINK heat is worse, this is very true, and even understandable.

Thinking something is true doesn't mean it is though.

~569 deaths per year during a timespan which followed the 98 El Nino heat spike, mostly older adults and young children.

~689 during a timespan leading up to and shortly after the 98 EN heat spike, noted that these are generally older than the average emergency room visits (45 vs 36 average age) but not specifically the elderly or young. Cold kills indiscriminately.

Your problem is Florida, you don't have to be crazy to live there, but you probably are anyways... or you're an alligator that learned how to use a keyboard...

So's a desert
The most lethal desert on the planet, the only one which has no native mammals, and no permanent human inhabitants... is the Antarctic ice cap.

You can survive exposed in the middle of the Sahara for much, much, much longer than you could down there on the ice, it'll suck out in the desert, but you're not going to be dead in a few minutes, so you'll have that going for you I guess.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/01/on-getting-naked-in-antarctica/282883/

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105623 on: July 09, 2016, 01:30:35 am »

I love the cold. When my parents are super stingy with the energy bill I can cover myself up with a blanket and be nice and comfortable. When its hot out however, there is literally nothing I can do to get comfortable. After a certain point nothing works. Put on a bunch of fans? Fans just blow hot air on you.  Take our clothes off? Doesn't matter because after a certain point there are no more clothes to take off. And even then, unless you sleep on the hardwood floors, which is very tempting, what you sleep on still has fabric which will steak to your naked sweaty skin. Pretty much the only thing that works is cold water. Regular water won't work because it will just sit on your skin doing nothing because the lowest the humidty has been in the past few weeks that I've seen was around 40%.

As to the Antartic killing you faster, that is because there is a bigger temperature difference between that and the human norm is around 120 degrees Fahrenheit while the Sahara is only about forty or fifty degrees higher then the norm. So its more a problem of it being able to get a lot colder then it can a lot hotter vs the cold being worse then the heat. If the Sahara went up to around 180 you'd probably die just as fast.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #105624 on: July 09, 2016, 01:34:07 am »

There is a debt collector calling to harass one of my coworkers repeatedly. Today I told him not to call this number again, that its a business line and not intended to be used to harass employees on the job. After he hung up, he called again, and I answered again. This time he wanted to know if I'm the manager, and to talk to the manager. Who had already gone home.

Apparently you have to be the manager to remind people not to be a dumbass.
I'm so scared. He might tell the manager I mentioned he's misusing our customer service line to harass employees!

Another wtf; how the hell this guy learned that coworker is employed here and thus what number to call. Said coworker doesn't know either. Apparently debt collectors got connections with the mafia now.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105625 on: July 09, 2016, 01:43:49 am »

I love the cold. When my parents are super stingy with the energy bill I can cover myself up with a blanket and be nice and comfortable. When its hot out however, there is literally nothing I can do to get comfortable. After a certain point nothing works. Put on a bunch of fans? Fans just blow hot air on you.  Take our clothes off? Doesn't matter because after a certain point there are no more clothes to take off. And even then, unless you sleep on the hardwood floors, which is very tempting, what you sleep on still has fabric which will steak to your naked sweaty skin. Pretty much the only thing that works is cold water. Regular water won't work because it will just sit on your skin doing nothing because the lowest the humidty has been in the past few weeks that I've seen was around 40%.

As to the Antartic killing you faster, that is because there is a bigger temperature difference between that and the human norm is around 120 degrees Fahrenheit while the Sahara is only about forty or fifty degrees higher then the norm. So its more a problem of it being able to get a lot colder then it can a lot hotter vs the cold being worse then the heat. If the Sahara went up to around 180 you'd probably die just as fast.
Well, we also evolved not too far from the Sahara, we're upright warm grassland mammals, we're literally built to walk around in the heat no problem, cold climate mammals tend to be a bit fatter, woolier, or straight up aquatic.

There are still creatures that live in the Sahara, there were creatures that survived the peaks like the Eemian and Permian-Triassic extinction, if there had been a snowball Earth event after the development of multicellular life like us eukaryotes we probably wouldn't be here.

Incidentally, it drops down to -100 F surprisingly often down at the South Pole and in various other pockets on the ice cap, so we'd need to be talking about temperatures that will just boil you to get to the same range from the "human ideal" of around 65~70 F or so.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #105626 on: July 09, 2016, 01:52:37 am »

Hang on, aren't you the guy who's also a climate change denier?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #105627 on: July 09, 2016, 02:21:42 am »

There is a debt collector calling to harass one of my coworkers repeatedly. Today I told him not to call this number again, that its a business line and not intended to be used to harass employees on the job. After he hung up, he called again, and I answered again. This time he wanted to know if I'm the manager, and to talk to the manager. Who had already gone home.

Apparently you have to be the manager to remind people not to be a dumbass.
I'm so scared. He might tell the manager I mentioned he's misusing our customer service line to harass employees!

Another wtf; how the hell this guy learned that coworker is employed here and thus what number to call. Said coworker doesn't know either. Apparently debt collectors got connections with the mafia now.
My guess would be that debt collectors are (some of) the people who buy all that data that websites gather and then quietly sell.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #105628 on: July 09, 2016, 02:44:13 am »

Careful there. Just because someone, say, believe tooth fairies exist, doesn't mean they're automatically wrong about everything.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105629 on: July 09, 2016, 03:02:14 am »

Well thanks for the insulting defense? Tooth fairies have no basis in reality, my skepticism does.
No I'm the guy who keeps forgetting that trying to use facts and experiments to disprove politics is foolish, I keep trying, and it amounts to bashing your head against a wall. Incidentally that whole label is stupid. The proper term is skeptic if anything, and no I don't feel like bashing my head against that wall here, trying to fight beliefs is futile.
Pages: 1 ... 7040 7041 [7042] 7043 7044 ... 10973