Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7044 7045 [7046] 7047 7048 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13165379 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #105675 on: July 09, 2016, 07:04:27 pm »

That, Neo, is because they probably went to a shit Social Science course. Or just bought their degree.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105676 on: July 09, 2016, 07:20:27 pm »

That, Neo, is because they probably went to a shit Social Justice course. Or just bought their degree.
FTFY
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #105677 on: July 09, 2016, 07:53:08 pm »

Heh I shouldn't say this but
STEM degrees are just better, sorry.
Yeah there's a need for art, but science/technology/engineering/mathematics are just more important.
Fortunately there's a shitload of people, so there's plenty of room for non-STEM degrees.

I don't even have my degree yet, I got distracted by 8 years in comp-sci which interrupted my degree.
Because STEM is THAT GOOD that I didn't need a full degree to make a living.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #105678 on: July 09, 2016, 08:03:51 pm »

That, Neo, is because they probably went to a shit Social Science course. Or just bought their degree.
reminds me... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebmlEGIAD78
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #105679 on: July 09, 2016, 08:17:41 pm »

That, Neo, is because they probably went to a shit Social Justice course. Or just bought their degree.
FTFY
This, really. Social science and other "soft" studies are basically pointless for 90% of people and are often pretty dumb, but it's the socjus and identity politics stuff where the actual problem is being bred. How that shit got into universities is beyond me. I'm forever thankful that NZ is relatively free from it.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #105680 on: July 09, 2016, 08:22:48 pm »

Okay I believe in "social justice" to some extent.  Not 100%, but it's doing a lot to improve the US situation.
Also hurting a lot, but I think that's *mostly* dumbass teens trying to jump the ball and "help".

So yeah, non-STEM education is important.
STEM degrees are just more important right now.
US culture and upbringing is leading away from STEM, so there's a shortage.  And ideally we need a lot more STEM than non.  Creative art is important, we just don't need as much as we need creative engineering.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #105681 on: July 09, 2016, 08:50:17 pm »

Or at least not as many in the field, especially since the internets allow the work of a few to be available to everybody, everywhere.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105682 on: July 09, 2016, 08:52:59 pm »

Creative art is important, we just don't need as much as we need creative engineering.
Why? Also the so called "soft" sciences are not just art. Hell, social service is not about art at all. Social service is about helping people deal with shit like unemployment, education, homelessness, lack of food and so on. And unlike SJWs, they actually know what they're doing, instead of just probably making it worse.

Sure, it's important to keep going forward when it comes to tech. But it's also important to understand why and how things are happening. Not just make them happen.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #105683 on: July 09, 2016, 09:03:39 pm »

I'd be tempted to throw psychology and more rigorous branches of sociology in with the hard sciences, honestly
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105684 on: July 09, 2016, 09:16:27 pm »

I'd be tempted to throw psychology and more rigorous branches of sociology in with the hard sciences, honestly
Honestly, having been on both sides (2.5 years in university for computer science before I dropped it for history (1.5 year now)) of the hard vs soft science thing? It's just plain stupid. The distinction is silly, made up by people on both sides who want to feel elitist. You ask a "soft science" scientist about people who are in the "hard" area, and they'll tell you they're all coke-snorting maniacs. You ask a "hard science" scientist about people who are in the "soft" area, and they'll tell you they're all pot-smoking hippies. They're both wrong.

Are there a lot of people in both "sides" who do drugs, both during and after university? Yeah, sure, I see a lot of them on a daily basis. They're all shitty students who will either not graduate, or just barely graduate and become shitty professionals.

All of it is science. All of it can be incredibly good, or incredibly horrible. It depends solely on the intentions of the scientist and whomever else uses the result of the research.

All of that said, fuck international relations students. Bunch of pretentious assholes.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 09:18:26 pm by Teneb »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #105685 on: July 09, 2016, 09:32:58 pm »

I think the main reason for the stigma against soft science is that we as humans prefer things of a concrete and material nature. "Physicists discover warp drive." is more exciting than "Psychologists discover a correlation between alektorophobia and hyperspace travel", even if they may end up generating the same amount of productivity and the latter will warn us of the incoming space chicken invasion.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105686 on: July 09, 2016, 09:42:55 pm »

I think the main reason for the stigma against soft science is that we as humans prefer things of a concrete and material nature. "Physicists discover warp drive." is more exciting than "Psychologists discover a correlation between alektorophobia and hyperspace travel", even if they may end up generating the same amount of productivity and the latter will warn us of the incoming space chicken invasion.

I personally think it is because non-science can just sneak its way into the soft sciences without scrutiny for years. It doesn't have the same requirements that the hard sciences have.

Hence why you can infect people with malaria and go "Yeah I think this is doing good" then win a noble peace prize. PSYCHOLOGY EVERYONE!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #105687 on: July 09, 2016, 09:45:19 pm »

When something reliant on a hard science turns out to be built on wrong hard science, the results are usually both obvious and spectacular - bridges fall down, space shuttles fall out of the sky, survey drones meteor into Mars, etc. Even a layman can usually tell that there's something very wrong. Softer sciences don't have that, meaning that complete garbage gets baked into both the academic and public perceptions of that field's work, and a lot of that garbage really pisses people off.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105688 on: July 09, 2016, 09:49:33 pm »

All of that said, fuck international relations students. Bunch of pretentious assholes.
I kno rite?
On the bright side those useless fucks will never even get a job related to their degree without a healthy dose of nepotism anyway.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105689 on: July 09, 2016, 09:50:41 pm »

I personally think it is because non-science can just sneak its way into the soft sciences without scrutiny for years. It doesn't have the same requirements that the hard sciences have.

Hence why you can infect people with malaria and go "Yeah I think this is doing good" then win a noble peace prize. PSYCHOLOGY EVERYONE!
Nah, they can sneak into math & pals too. Human sciences have some pretty strict requirements too. Both have, when you're talking about serious institutions instead of pay for diploma "institution". Just look at the "medical researchers" who are paid by corporations to say their products are what they're not.
Pages: 1 ... 7044 7045 [7046] 7047 7048 ... 10983