Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7085 7086 [7087] 7088 7089 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13168070 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #106290 on: July 20, 2016, 09:03:40 pm »

It seems most of the libraries, restaurants, etc, no longer have anything but hard metal seating, not even hard wood seating. There used to be cushions in this library, but then it seems they had a "problem" with homeless people. [sigh] Perhaps we should give them somewhere to go but that's another all too tragic matter. :(

What happened to the seating? They used to have comfortable seating and now they just don't? They actually paid to have it replaced? They actually devoted resources to making things less comfortable to speed people along? O.... Come on, please, what? Awwwwwww.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #106291 on: July 20, 2016, 09:09:59 pm »

For what it's worth, most of the libraries where I'm at (poor, rural, overstuffed and underfunded) have pretty comfortable chairs, at least in part.

That said, it kinda' sounds like some nitwit thought that new-ish "modern" style (i.e. metal and glass) was a good idea. I've met a few of those crazy people before.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #106292 on: July 20, 2016, 09:14:17 pm »

if youre comfortable and its pleasant, than its wrong comrade
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106294 on: July 20, 2016, 09:22:59 pm »

Wow.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #106295 on: July 20, 2016, 09:35:14 pm »

We'll drive the rabble out yet.
Oh, those fucking things. Better than floor spikes, I guess.

That said, it kinda' sounds like some nitwit thought that new-ish "modern" style (i.e. metal and glass) was a good idea. I've met a few of those crazy people before.
One of the bigger libraries 'round here has the whole steel-glass architecture, and a tiled floor. Really nice armchairs though. Almost makes up for it.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #106296 on: July 20, 2016, 09:51:23 pm »

Here's the thing about homeless people in libraries.

Yes, we're ethically and legally obligated to serve all citizens, and we endeavor to do so. But we also do have basic rules of conduct. If someone who smells of stale urine and body odor badly enough to make your eyes water decides to camp out on a bench in your reading area, that disrupts the ability of others to use the facility. If someone decides to bathe in the only restroom and locks themselves inside for forty minutes, the same. If someone responds to an attempt to talk about an issue like that and what can be done to resolve it, available services for the homeless, &c., by waiting until the librarian leaves and then going back into the stacks and urinating all over a shelf and the books on it, that's a problem.

We're there to provide resources and services to everyone, but if someone is actively disrupting the ability of others to use those resources and services, resists attempts to resolve the problem, argues with or threatens staff, &c., it's beyond a matter of "Oh, that poor person being discriminated against." There are plenty of homeless folks I know and see who are perfectly fine and cause no problems whatsoever. There are some who have issues of some sort and habitually cause problems, stalk staff, stalk children, &c. And then there's what happens when the city jail releases a bunch of petty offenders due to overcrowding and they all hop the bus line over because there's a bank to panhandle outside of, a liquor store to hang around, and a public library to misuse.

And that's at a branch a decent way from the city center. A main library is much, much worse to work at--there's a reason why they tend to have permanent security staff rather than maybe a part time rent-a-cop from time to time. It's all the issues of working in a store or restaurant in a city except that people need to be a lot more actively hostile/disruptive/creepy before you can kick them out.

If a public library has shitty furnishings, it's probably because they're badly underfunded and can't afford to replace stuff that's ruined by patrons, much less buy cushy things. Chairs and such with deep, comfortable seats are easier to damage and become much nastier much more quickly. :|

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #106297 on: July 20, 2016, 10:06:19 pm »

There are similar benches in a very specific street corner in my city. They have these ridges that make it outright painful for anyone to actually lay down on them. I imagine it also makes it hard for fat people to sit there.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106298 on: July 20, 2016, 10:14:07 pm »

There are similar benches in a very specific street corner in my city. They have these ridges that make it outright painful for anyone to actually lay down on them. I imagine it also makes it hard for fat people to sit there.

People tend not to like to sit down on those things in general.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #106299 on: July 20, 2016, 10:22:57 pm »

Why don't we just have men in uniform that shoot poor people that loiter.

Oh wait.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #106300 on: July 20, 2016, 10:23:33 pm »

Hmmm, I wonder where we would get those people...
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #106301 on: July 20, 2016, 10:29:40 pm »

Why don't we just have men in uniform that shoot poor people that loiter.

Oh wait.

Can you say "watch-list"? :P
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106302 on: July 20, 2016, 10:56:21 pm »

I think what killed Prison Architect for me is that it pretends to be a good game. It pretends to have a sort of grand strategy to the whole thing...

But really the game just cheats everything into place.

Where do they get drugs? Magic
Weapons? Magic (yes I am aware they can get ADDITIONAL weapons depending on where they go... But they can also magically summon weapons)

It is one of those instances where a game is suddenly a lot worse once you realize what is under the table.

Like struggling against the last boss of a videogame... then watching a video that proves you can beat the last boss by standing still and shooting because you will outdamage the boss.

I just can't play it anymore because it is kind of trite now that I realize how it works.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 10:58:44 pm by Neonivek »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #106303 on: July 20, 2016, 11:06:09 pm »

dwarf fortress is, like, the only game i know of that has basically no magic of that sort under the covers AFAIK, and i peek under dwarf fortress's covers enough to be considered a pervert by most of society and outright arrested in multiple countries, so I would know

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #106304 on: July 20, 2016, 11:10:14 pm »

dwarf fortress is, like, the only game i know of that has basically no magic of that sort under the covers AFAIK, and i peek under dwarf fortress's covers enough to be considered a pervert by most of society and outright arrested in multiple countries, so I would know

Sig'd
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer
Pages: 1 ... 7085 7086 [7087] 7088 7089 ... 10983